PDA

View Full Version : Learning to play the electric Bass .....

igmolinav
Jan 14, 2007, 03:48 PM
Hi,

Can your Mac in any way play any helpful role if you want to learn to play the electric bass. I would be starting from scratch. I am very excited about it !!! Also, if you want to recommend me some brands and models for an electric bass that may not be very expensive, I would also appreciate it.

Thank you very much in advance for your time and attention to this matter.

igmolinav.

Spankenrear
Jan 15, 2007, 06:32 AM
There's lots of tutorials online about playing bass, you should have no trouble finding stuff.

As far as gear, it really depends on your budget, I always recommend saying a few extra bucks and buying something that will give you years of enjoyment, like a Fender, great resale. For Fenders let your hands be the guide, Jazz basses have a much smaller neck and are great if you have smaller hands, I prefer a Precision bass which has a meatier neck.

bowens
Jan 17, 2007, 08:19 AM
I would also recommend Fender, but for a cheaper alternative try an Ibanez. Check Musician's Friend (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/ibanez-four-string-fretted-electric-bass?N=100001%2b306313%2b201105&Ns=P_Price%7c0&g=bass&page=1), they have some starting at $169.95. The bass player from my band has played a $200 Ibanez for about 6 years and it still looks and sounds great.

Big Boss Man
Jan 17, 2007, 03:52 PM
I mainly play guitar but also have a Fender Jazz Bass (made in Mexico version) that works fairly well.

Loge
Jan 17, 2007, 04:45 PM
Hi,

Can your Mac in any way play any helpful role if you want to learn to play the electric bass.

Yes, use your web browser to find a bass guitar teacher in your area. ;) :)

aquajet
Jan 17, 2007, 09:04 PM
I've used low-end Ibanez, Fender/Squire, Peavey and Yamaha basses. The Mexican Fenders as mentioned aren't really true low-end basses IMO and are considerably more costly than the others. My personal favorite new low-end basses are Yamahas, but my absolute favorites are the Japanese Squire Precision and Jazz basses built during the 1980s. Low-end, but not.

igmolinav
Jan 18, 2007, 12:42 PM
Thank you very much for all your help!!! Just one additional question, for online tutorials, what website do you recommend me ???

Thank you very much once again for everything !!!

igmolinav.

OwlsAndApples
Jan 18, 2007, 01:03 PM
Thank you very much for all your help!!! Just one additional question, for online tutorials, what website do you recommend me ???

Thank you very much once again for everything !!!

igmolinav.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/bass_lessons/

Is an alright resource, though I'd say that getting a book, watching some performance videos and some online tutorial vids on youtube/google video is all good in conjunction.