PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV

kjdenison
Jan 14, 2007, 08:03 PM
I have a 20" intel core 2 duo iMac and a Sharp 720p display with 2 hdmi connections. I just have a studio apartment so setting up a wireless network seems overkill, but I would like to have the content from my iMac on my TV. Do I have to get an airport extreme to use the apple TV, or is there another suggestion someone has. My computer is about 6 ft from the TV. I also have close to 400GB of content, h.264 movies, music, photos, etc. I already am running the audio from my computer to the sound system hooked up to the TV via a firewire interface, but it's annoying to look halfway across the room to use front row from the couch on the iMac to control the music. Hopefully thats not too confusing, I appreciate any help!

kjdenison
Jan 14, 2007, 09:48 PM
Ok I'm going to kinda answer my own question here. I spoke with an apple rep and he said I could hook both the apple tv and imac up to ethernet and the applet TV acts like a wireless router? He also said that you can hook up a usb hard drive to it for additional content beyond its built in hard drive. So if all my content is on my hard drive, do you even need a mac? could you just plug in a hard drive?

Cybix
Jan 14, 2007, 09:54 PM
you can have an iMac -> appleTV network, no other airport devices required.

you cannot plug an ext hard drive into the AppleTV (despite having a USB port, unless someone can prove me wrong when its available).

the Airport Extreme will let you plug in an ext hard drive (very handy)

Ultimately I would have the iMac, connected to the airport extreme, and the apple TV on my tv too.. hard disk on the extreme (if you need the extra space)

could be cheaper in the end to just upgrade your iMac hard disk if you need more space, or just have the ext disk drive plugged into your iMac (you dont have multiple users/machines?)

sounds to me like all you need is the appleTV

kjdenison
Jan 14, 2007, 10:31 PM
you can have an iMac -> appleTV network, no other airport devices required.

you cannot plug an ext hard drive into the AppleTV (despite having a USB port, unless someone can prove me wrong when its available).

the Airport Extreme will let you plug in an ext hard drive (very handy)

Ultimately I would have the iMac, connected to the airport extreme, and the apple TV on my tv too.. hard disk on the extreme (if you need the extra space)

could be cheaper in the end to just upgrade your iMac hard disk if you need more space, or just have the ext disk drive plugged into your iMac (you dont have multiple users/machines?)

sounds to me like all you need is the appleTV

I appreciate your help. I don't need an Airport Extreme then? My hard drive is plugged into my iMac yes, and I dont have multiple machines.