Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mem

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Hi all:
I encountered a problem this evening with my Powerbook G4 15 inch Powerbook. When I was opening the Powerbook, awakening it from sleep it seemed there seemed to be an abnormally bright flash, then the screen went almost completely blank. Luckily, I was able to see enough to burn my docs to a disc in the event this was a serious problem. It seemed the rest of the laptop was fine.

When I restarted the computer, the screen appeared to be fine. I ran Onyx in the event it could clean anything up, and when it was running the screen appeared to go attempt to go to sleep again (although it was not set). Touching the trackpad immediately woke it up without a problem. After restarting after Onyx finished and using it for about a half hour I have not encountered the problem since.

Is this a sign of a failing LCD or possibly a bigger problem or just a harmless isolated event? Is it worth trekking over to the Applestore? I'm covered under Applecare. Thanks for shedding any light you can on this situation.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hi all:
I encountered a problem this evening with my Powerbook G4 15 inch Powerbook. When I was opening the Powerbook, awakening it from sleep it seemed there seemed to be an abnormally bright flash, then the screen went almost completely blank. Luckily, I was able to see enough to burn my docs to a disc in the event this was a serious problem. It seemed the rest of the laptop was fine.

When I restarted the computer, the screen appeared to be fine. I ran Onyx in the event it could clean anything up, and when it was running the screen appeared to go attempt to go to sleep again (although it was not set). Touching the trackpad immediately woke it up without a problem. After restarting after Onyx finished and using it for about a half hour I have not encountered the problem since.

Is this a sign of a failing LCD or possibly a bigger problem or just a harmless isolated event? Is it worth trekking over to the Applestore? I'm covered under Applecare. Thanks for shedding any light you can on this situation.

I'd take it in- if you can get it checked out, then you'll know if it's definitely bad and be no worse off if it isn't obviously broken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.