PDA

View Full Version : Apple’s new AirPort Extreme Base Station: What’s missing?

MacBytes
Jan 14, 2007, 10:14 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Apple’s new AirPort Extreme Base Station: What’s missing? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070114231415)
Description:: This is great news all around, and would be a near perfect update if it were not for the omission of 2 things. Namely; Power-over-ethernet (PoE) and a port for an external antennae.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Sayer
Jan 14, 2007, 10:47 PM
Nothing stopping Apple from releasing more models, so what it lacks today may become a moot point in the future.

trainguy77
Jan 14, 2007, 11:04 PM
1000 base/t......

qubex
Jan 15, 2007, 01:46 AM
Nothing stopping Apple from releasing more models, so what it lacks today may become a moot point in the future.
Yes, they may add a nuclear reactor and a flux capacitor. In ten years they'll have computers a thousand times faster than the current offerings. Yada yada yada.
The point being that this is a completely moot line of reasoning regarding an existing, current product.

iW00t
Jan 15, 2007, 01:49 AM

Well the old Airports don't have antennas too, although they did have power over ethernet.

As Steve would say "Most people don't use it." What he neglected to mention also is "Most people don't buy Apple."

Maybe Steve should put the two together and stop telling people what most people want?

Mustafa
Jan 15, 2007, 05:42 AM
Isn't it missing an ADSL modem too?

Shagrat
Jan 15, 2007, 09:50 AM
Well the old Airports don't have antennas too, although they did have power over ethernet.

As Steve would say "Most people don't use it." What he neglected to mention also is "Most people don't buy Apple."

Maybe Steve should put the two together and stop telling people what most people want?

"As Steve WOULD say.." or is that "as Steve DID say.."

World of difference between the two. You can hardly ascribe a quote to someone and criticise them for it, if what you are quoting is what YOU believe he said.

Rodimus Prime
Jan 15, 2007, 10:04 AM

there is a lot of things that most people do not use. I just find it interesting that apple wants to move more into the business world or at least claims to and yet they pull a PoE from the airport. Something business like to do more than the consumer does. It seems that they are all more talk than action.
It just hurts there rep some on business wanting to buy apples because if they do it here that means they are more likely to do it on there computer software side of things as well.

PlaceofDis
Jan 15, 2007, 10:06 AM
and no AirTunes. i'd probably grab one if it had that. if only because of the network storage capablities over the Express.

aristobrat
Jan 15, 2007, 11:06 AM
there is a lot of things that most people do not use. I just find it interesting that apple wants to move more into the business world or at least claims to and yet they pull a PoE from the airport. Something business like to do more than the consumer does.
There's a heck of a lot more stuff missing from an AE besides POE that Apple would have to add before most businesses would consider it.

IMO, the fact that it has disk and printer sharing pretty much screams "CONSUMER VERSION".

and no AirTunes. i'd probably grab one if it had that. if only because of the network storage capablities over the Express.
I'm wondering if they'll release another model (an updated Express), or if they just expect people to buy AppleTV now to stream their music.

I'm sure when the people stop buying Steve's stuff, then he'll start listening. Until then, ...

aristobrat
Jan 15, 2007, 11:09 AM
That's true.

Wasn't it a separate "educational" version of the Airport Extreme that came with POE?

I know the AE I bought from CompUSA last year didn't have POE.

bdj21ya
Jan 15, 2007, 11:20 AM
Lack of gigabit ethernet is definitely a bigger deal-breaker for me. I'm still using a 802.11b wireless router, so I'm definitely considering an upgrade. The stylish look of this new router is attractive, but at that price, I'd have to be getting gigabit ethernet ports to make it close to worth it. I guess it's not terribly neccessary, since it's a lot easier to directly network (just a cable, no hub or switch) two macs and transfer large files than it would be with a windows PC, but still, I like the convenience of not have to reconfigue things just to quickly transfer my files. I guess there's always target disk mode...

shamino
Jan 15, 2007, 01:45 PM
Wasn't it a separate "educational" version of the Airport Extreme that came with POE?

I know the AE I bought from CompUSA last year didn't have POE.
According to MacTracker, there are currently three AE base stations (or, more precisely, there were, prior to the current model). One with a modem, and two without a modem - one of which supports PoE. The non-PoE models were introduced in January 2003, at MacWorld. The PoE model was introduced in April 2004. None of the three are listed as discontinued (although they are all gone from Apple's web site, since the new model came out last week.)

The PoE and with-modem model both included a port for an external antenna.

WRT education, I don't remember. Unfortunately, MacTracker doesn't have a history page for the PoE base station.

Peace
Jan 15, 2007, 02:06 PM
ummm....

With 802.11n range and speed being much better WHY do you need an antenna ?

solvs
Jan 16, 2007, 12:04 AM
1000 base/t......

That's one of the things that kills it for me. I love Apple's stuff, and will sometimes pay a premium. But not always. I have a G router that works fine right now, and when I'm ready to upgrade to an N, it'll have all of these features and more for half as much as the Apple one. Not as easy or good looking of course, but for a router, I'd rather have functionality.

Of course, by the time they finally ratify the standard, Apple may have a newer, better, cheaper model... so who knows.

EricNau
Jan 16, 2007, 12:13 AM
Let's all be honest, no large, reputable business would even consider buying an Apple wireless router. ...They'd go with something more professional, customizable, and industry-standard, such as a Cisco Aironet AP.

The Apple Airport Extreme Base Station is a consumer device.