Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manosaurus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
I have been using GB2 for a recording a small rock quartet project. Thus far I have only made rough single track recordings just for the purposes of gaining some insight into strengths and weaknesses of our matireal but in the coming months I want to multi-track a selction of our numbers to a more exhibitive end.

So, I am wondering if I should invest in LE7 or stick with GB2. GB seems pretty powerful so far and I have not ran into any situation yet that I can say that I could not do what I needed. I can say though it seems kind of a pain in the ass to cut sections of a track (compared to Cubase anyway which I can no longer use.) For example we did one take and I had to hit record and run across the room to get to my mic and guitar. When editing I wanted to shave the beginning seconds off of course. I figured it out eventually but it seems kind of awkward and seemed like it would be hard to get very accurate though I didn't care to mess with that eiting feature at the time. Anyway, as I get into multi tracking will I perhaps find GB to be insufficiant? Are there some things that GB lacks that are necessary if one is attempting to make a really fine recording? I am pretty much of the 'if it ain't broken don't fix it' view here but have no foresight here.

I don't know if this is relevant or not but here is my set up and proposed method:

- Computer: C2D MBP 2.16 w/ a 5400 HD
- External HD: Don't have one but it has been recommened that I get an external 7200 FW 800 espesially with so many tracks.
- Software: as mentioned, GB2
- Interface: Recently purchased a Presonus Firepod and it seems pretty nice.
- Mics:

vocals: SE electronics vocal condensor (supposed to be pretty good.)
instruments: 2 pencil condensors (CC02's or something) that were about $100 for the pair so they are nothing fancy, Audio Technica instrument mic, Shure 57, some old Sennheiser mic that I was told was excellent for recording the bass drum.

I'll do the vocals with the SE of course and probably use the Shure 57 on the guitar amps and run the bass cabinet straight to the Firepod. That all seems pretty standard. As far as the drums go I am pretty clueless. I have 8 mic inputs on the Firepod so I will put each to use for recording the drums but I'll have to get a few more mics. I'll just have to do alot of expermenting on the drums.

If anymore info is necesary let me know and thanks for reading!

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i don't own GB2 and am not familiar w/ its features, but for mixtime you want s/w which has / can do the following:
- sends and busses
- track automation (volume, mute, plug-in parameter, pan)
- export mixes at full resolution (e.g. 48 kHz / 24 bit)
- fast and intuitive editing

you're already complaining about the last one. if the others aren't offered, i'd say it's a deal-breaker.

if you like cubase and are used to it, why not remedy whatever situation has you unable to use it?

manosaurus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
i don't own GB2 and am not familiar w/ its features, but for mixtime you want s/w which has / can do the following:
- sends and busses
- track automation (volume, mute, plug-in parameter, pan)
- export mixes at full resolution (e.g. 48 kHz / 24 bit)
- fast and intuitive editing

you're already complaining about the last one. if the others aren't offered, i'd say it's a deal-breaker.

if you like cubase and are used to it, why not remedy whatever situation has you unable to use it?

Thanks for the reply. Questions:

Exporting mixes at full resolution. I have noticed that I might get the levels right in GB and then export it to iTunes and the levels are changed and sometimes even distorted and impossible to listen to. Is that something to do with res.?

Can LE7 not do some things that s/e can? I guess if it could you would have said so. Do people just normally use separate programs for recording and editing?

Also, I can't use Cubase anymore because the version I had itsn't UB. It was a LE version anyway that had some pretty frustrating limitations as far as exportation goes. Besides, I don't mind learning new software at all.

Thanks again for the help zim!!!!

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Exporting mixes at full resolution.
by this, i meant that if you're going to send something to mastering, you want to avoid doing any kind of dithering, sample rate conversion, or mp3 compression. sure, for distribution to friends, you'll be doing all that stuff, but not when you prep it for mastering (if you're going to that).

I have noticed that I might get the levels right in GB and then export it to iTunes and the levels are changed and sometimes even distorted and impossible to listen to. Is that something to do with res.?
take me though exactly what steps you go through exporting from GB and importing into itunes.

i use pro tools, and i've noticed that using PT to bounce to disc (taking n tracks down to stereo), apply dither (24 bits to 16) and perform the sample rate conversion (48kHz to 44.1 kHz) change the sound. i don't like that and i'm in the process of changing my setup to minimize those changes.

Do people just normally use separate programs for recording and editing?
i use PT for recording, editing and mixing. i think most people do all 3 in one program, whatever they use.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
I can't use Cubase anymore because the version I had itsn't UB. It was a LE version anyway that had some pretty frustrating limitations as far as exportation goes. Besides, I don't mind learning new software at all.
oh yeah -- workflow is of vital importance. i'd rather use something other than PT, because there are things about the hardware limitations i don't like.

but i friggin' love the software and can work very quickly and efficiently in it.

i'm not saying "get protools", but i am saying that, whatever you end up going with, make sure that it allows you to work the way you want to work. and the only way you can figure that out is to work w/ each. so if the cubase workflow suits you, and the full-blown version has the features you need, i'd say you should definitely consider it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.