Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Boss Man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Think we will see Logic 8 at NAMM later this week? I would say it is long overdue.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
someone clue me in, please

i'm a PTLE user, don't really know Logic at all.

here and elsewhere i've seen people clamoring for Logic 8. can someone tell me what new features it's supposed to have, or what's broken in 7 that 8 is supposed to fix?

why all the excitement?

quigleybc

macrumors 68030

here and elsewhere i've seen people clamoring for Logic 8. can someone tell me what new features it's supposed to have, or what's broken in 7 that 8 is supposed to fix?

why all the excitement?

Nothing is broken in version 7

it's great, but it's old. I like shiny and new. Update the look and feel, do something....

8 is long overdue. I love Logic

Big Boss Man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
I would like to see improved audio editing features. It could also use an easier to use interface and workflow. I think Apple should further develop the partnership they have with Apogee. Make a fully integrated interface(s) with super low latency and stable drivers. Make Logic 8 a direct competitor to Pro Tools TDM.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
There are some very long threads on the Apple support forums about things that do not work properly in Logic 7, most of which I admit I have not run into.

I would settle for a more user friendly score editor.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005

why all the excitement?

I would so love them to re-work the audio editing more along Pro Tools lines. Full sample-accurate editing on the arrange page with all the tools available; playlists; multitool including timestretch; the ability to select on the page and have it linked to timeline; the ability to make waveforms larger within the regions; a simple way of consolidating regions on the arrange page....

I would love them to sort out zooming in and out - it never homes in on the place you're actually working on.

I would love them to sort out some of the long-standing bugs (reverbs cutting when you stop, then suddenly playing the tails when you play; instrument tracks going silent until you deselect and reselect the track; some of the time stretch algorithms thinking that 100 cents is a tone rather than a semitone... the list goes on)

I would love them to make TDM work properly (not that it will happen) and sort out the synchronisation support.

I would love them to "do an apple" and simplify the interface without simplifying the functionality.

Those, amongs many others, are things I would LOVE them to do. What I EXPECT them to do, however, is make some wizzy new plug-ins and largely ignore the nuts and bolts. :rolleyes:

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Not another one of these threads....

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/271121/

http://bigbluelounge.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34560

http://www.gearspace.com/board/showthread.php?t=103802

It's not going to happen. Basically to sum things up, Logic right now is limited by the ram limitations of OS X 10.4.x. It will take a full 64bit 10.5 to really open up Logic. Not to mention have the program be a fully 64bit program.

As well as fix all the bugs that are constantly mentioned on discussions.apple.com

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
It's not going to happen. Basically to sum things up, Logic right now is limited by the ram limitations of OS X 10.4.x. It will take a full 64bit 10.5 to really open up Logic. Not to mention have the program be a fully 64bit program.

As well as fix all the bugs that are constantly mentioned on discussions.apple.com
Never knew 17,179,869,184GiB of RAM was too limiting for 10.4.x. Everything on a 64bit machine such as the G5, Core 2 Duo or Mac Pro's are 64bit from the POSIX layer down. This included the kernel. Memory addressing is 64bit. Doesn't mean apps need to be 32bit though, I'm running a 64bit version of Firefox I made, I make them daily.

I have tested a few libaries for Logic on G5's, some are 64bit. So, Logic has parts that are already 64bit. I'm guessing they are installed when you run the installer and some 32bit libaries are left out. Logic 8 when it is released one day may be 100% 64bit. 64bit float audio (hey that's mad!), double the data per cycle compared to 32bit. Very good for mathmatical functions used in processes such as convelution for example.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
e....

I would love them to sort out some of the long-standing bugs (reverbs cutting when you stop, then suddenly playing the tails when you play;

Oh how I hate this partricular bug...

Especially when I'm trying to bounce 20 tracks of audio and keep forgetting to let the tails trail off before I take it back to 1.1.1.1... Grrrr.

Of course, the other stupid thing is the way it handles MIDI send information...why oh WHY do I have to select each track in turn for it to send the right patch to my equipment?

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Never knew 17,179,869,184GiB of RAM was too limiting for 10.4.x.

If you browse the VSL forum, you can read about the ram limitations. It's software related. I'm not talking about what you can physically snap into your G5. Logic itself cannot use more than 3GB of ram. So if you are using EXS in Logic with samples, you are limited to 3GB or samples, or 3-4GB in some cases. So 4GB or ram is the sweet spot. (3GB for Logic, and 1GB for OS X.)

Pro audio folks have found that more than 4GB of ram in a 10.4 machine gives a diminishing return, because of the way 10.4 handles virtual memory. So with over 4GB of ram, users have noticed that 10.4 keeps putting more and more into virtual memory, instead of using the physical ram that is on the machine. So the extra ram is NOT used by Logic, or DP, etc.

THIS is the flaw I am talking about. And it has to do with Logic being a 32bit application, as well as 10.4 not being fully 64bit.

If you browse photoshop and other graphics forums, you will see the same complaints. There are lots of gripes that "Why can't photoshop use all 16GB of ram that I just spent $$$$ on!"

So 10.5 will hopefully solve this problem, and Logic 8 will hopefully be 64bit. I don't want anything less.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I would love them to sort out some of the long-standing bugs (reverbs cutting when you stop, then suddenly playing the tails when you play; instrument tracks going silent until you deselect and reselect the track; some of the time stretch algorithms thinking that 100 cents is a tone rather than a semitone... the list goes on)
Or perhaps include a decent reverb.

These bugs are becasue the thing you are talking about come from very old versions of Logic, verion 3 or 4, if nto older. DSP for a sequencers was not developed enough in those days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.