PDA

View Full Version : Name Changes

arn
May 15, 2003, 07:46 AM
Hey everyone...

There's been a rush of name change requests -- perhaps due to a prominent name change by one of our mods :)

I'd ask the requests to stop, and for everyone to keep their current name.

It causes a fair amount of confusion, especially when established users change their names.

arn

eyelikeart
May 15, 2003, 07:49 AM
no problem arn...I won't be asking to change mine ever... ;)

iGav
May 15, 2003, 10:26 AM
Damn... and there was me wanting to change to 'Binky The Dancing Clown'.... :p :p :p

I jest... :D

jelloshotsrule
May 15, 2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by iGAV
I jest... :D

oh really???? thanks for pointing that out

maybe we can have arn make an exception and change your name to 'captain obvious'. ;)

bugger.

Giaguara
May 15, 2003, 10:30 AM
Careful, or you might up ending gettting that name. Or iGay. ;) :rolleyes:

iGav
May 15, 2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Giaguara
Careful, or you might up ending gettting that name. Or iGay. ;) :rolleyes:

I could think of worse...

My 'Decked-Out-In-Satin-Tights-Gay-Boy-Super-Hero' name is....

GAVINA... snappy anagram!! :D :p :p

Alphatech knows what I mean!! :p :p :p

Wickedly evil!! :D

edesignuk
May 15, 2003, 10:51 AM
I changed from verbose101 to edesignuk many moons ago now, glad I did too, before the sudden 'rush' of requests came through.

iGav
May 15, 2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
oh really???? thanks for pointing that out

maybe we can have arn make an exception and change your name to 'captain obvious'. ;)

bugger.

I was worried arn might think I was serious after a heavy night on the razz.. and change my name :eek: :p :p

it happens you know... :p :p :p

Wes
May 15, 2003, 11:28 AM
I beat the rush and was mildly surprised to see that "Wes" was available. Used to be W-_-W, but people had trouble typing that.

Doctor Q
May 15, 2003, 01:10 PM
Those of you with an urge to change your member name should remember that you can express your identity in your signature and, if you qualify, your avatar. And you can always abandon your old member name and register afresh under a new name, although I don't know if that's frowned upon for some reason.

How 'bout this plan for a name-shifting member? Pick a member named like "Today I am", wait until you qualify for an avatar, and then set your avatar to an image of the text of the title you want today. That way it'll be like this:

Today I am
Neo

wdlove
May 15, 2003, 02:06 PM
That is OK arn, I'm sure that no one want to cause you additonal problems! I happen to like my name! ;) No plans to change. The less confusion the better. But I don't blame anyone if they have a real legitimate reason to change!

Mr. Anderson
May 15, 2003, 02:18 PM
In all honesty, if I had known that changing my user name would have become this big a deal it wouldn't have happened.

I don't ever plan on changing my name again - so eventually this will all blow over and be one of the moments jefhatfield will use in a thread - 'Remember when....'

D :D

MacFan25
May 15, 2003, 04:19 PM
i was wondering if a lot of people would want to start to change their name or not. i also happen to like my name. :)

Kwyjibo
May 15, 2003, 04:23 PM
Hmm , i think part of the problem is you making a thread about it. Even though you had the best intentions it started the wheels of thought.

Mr. Anderson
May 15, 2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
Hmm , i think part of the problem is you making a thread about it. Even though you had the best intentions it started the wheels of thought.

Unfortunately, by the time I had started a thread it had been mentioned in 3 threads already. Like you said - my intentions were to prevent it coming up in every thread I posted in.

It could have been worse....;)

D

shadowfax
May 15, 2003, 04:47 PM
boy, i sure am glad i picked a name i like just to begin with.

fickle mortals!:eek: :eek:

amnesiac1984
May 15, 2003, 05:47 PM
so duke, i mean andy

why did oyu do it?

I kinda liked duke street, it was personal, now your are just from the matrix

rainman::|:|
May 15, 2003, 06:23 PM
ah damn, i had been thinking about asking for a name change for a few months. maybe it's a little too trusting having my full name all over everything. oh well... couldn't think of anything better anyway :)

pnw

Sun Baked
May 15, 2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Those of you with an urge to change your member name should remember that you can express your identity in your signature and, if you qualify, your avatar. But some of those signatures always seem to be longer than the text of the replies. :rolleyes:

And some people choose annoying avatars. ;)

ibookin'
May 15, 2003, 06:45 PM
I'm glad I changed my name when I did. I like this one a lot better than my previous one.

I agree with arn, though. It's kind of hard to get used to established members changing their names. I still can't get used to "dukestreet" being gone.

AmbitiousLemon
May 15, 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
But some of those signatures always seem to be longer than the text of the replies. :rolleyes:

And some people choose annoying avatars. ;)

thats why i have the option not to show sigs on. they got too big and annoying. and at funmac.com i turned on the option to limit people's sigs to 100 characters.

Steradian
May 15, 2003, 07:12 PM
I didn't think you could even get a name change without being well known....hmm...missed my chance :mad:

job
May 15, 2003, 08:01 PM
When I asked for my name to be changed, I had not been on the boards for months and had not realized everyone had been changing their names as well.

I changed my name because of personal reasons, not because everyone else was doing it.

anyways, cheers arn for changing my handle. :)

Doctor Q
May 15, 2003, 08:08 PM
Does vBulletin have an option to limit signatures to 100 characters, either at display time or at profile-setting time? I haven't been bothered by excessive signature size like Mr. Baked, but it seems reasonable to prevent people from going overboard.

AmbitiousLemon
May 15, 2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Does vBulletin have an option to limit signatures to 100 characters, either at display time or at profile-setting time? I haven't been bothered by excessive signature size like Mr. Baked, but it seems reasonable to prevent people from going overboard.

there is an option to set the number of max characters that a user can input during profile setting time. the default is 100 characters.

janey
May 15, 2003, 08:17 PM
thanks arn
if you did indeed change my name to trinity i would have regretted it.
*sigh of relief*