PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 strange graphics issue.

Box-thrower
Jan 15, 2007, 01:57 PM
The background for my desktop and most windows look normal. My icons, some dropdown menus, video and all games big or small have clear alternating blocks in the graphics. I have reinstalled Mac OSX 10.4 (didnt work). Then I upgraded to 10.4.8 (didnt work).downloaded drivers for my ATi Radeon 9600(didnt work). Can someone advise me what to do with this strange problem of mine before I go to the local shops and get charged an arm and a leg to tell me what is wrong and charge me more money to send and get fixed at Apple. I bought it in 2005 mid june and serial numbers dont fall in the series for free repair.http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66302&stc=1&d=1168969024
and picture number 2 ,http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66303&stc=1&d=1168969321 i hope these pictures work thanks.

mad jew
Jan 16, 2007, 01:23 AM
Can you post us a screen shot or give us a photo of what you mean exactly? :)

Box-thrower
Jan 22, 2007, 08:48 PM
I just went to to ATI's website and found this, I think i just answered my own question and im sorry to say it sounds like i have a broken graphics card!:(
and I QUOTE( from ati website ) "If you are experiencing issues such as graphical corruption (ie. lines, checkerboard patterns, flashing dots, giant triangles, etc.) in 3D games, full motion video, and initial POST screens on start-up or 2D desktop applications, these can sometimes indicate a problem with the hardware of the video card, such as, flaws and/or defects, overheating, or hardware damage.

These problems can sometimes also be caused by corrupted or incorrect drivers. In all cases, to further troubleshoot, please uninstall the current ATI drivers from add/remove programs, and try the newest and/or alternate drivers from the previous drivers and software portions of the Customer Care website. If the issues are always present and are unable to be resolved, it is likely that your video card will need to be serviced."

Box-thrower
Feb 10, 2007, 09:07 PM
I went to the mac store in vegas and they said it would take $940.00 to replace
the logic board. because the graphics card is broken. needless to say I AM NOT PAYING THAT RIDICULOUS AMOUNT! THEY CAN KISS MY ASS. I PAID $1800.00
FOR THE COMPUTER, AND GOT TO USE IT FOR 1 AND A HALF YEARS!. if it was a PC all i would have to do is go out and buy a graphics card for a fraction of the cost. I should not be forced to SIGN UP FOR APPLECARE EVERY TIME I WANT TO BUY ONE OF THEIR PRODUCTS SO DONT ANYONE TELL ME THAT I SHOULD HAVE.
it was my first mac and my last. im throwing this peice of crap away and investing in YES A PC! at least the pc world knows they have problems and they come up with an endless way to fix them, unlike apple who is in denial and acts as though their products have no problems. CYA MAC! HELLO PC!:mad: SORRY FOR THE MISPELLINGS BUT I AM PISSED OFF!

JohnMC
Feb 10, 2007, 10:00 PM
the logic board. because the graphics card is broken. needless to say I AM NOT PAYING THAT RIDICULOUS AMOUNT! THEY CAN KISS MY ASS. I PAID $1800.00
FOR THE COMPUTER, AND GOT TO USE IT FOR 1 AND A HALF YEARS!. if it was a PC all i would have to do is go out and buy a graphics card for a fraction of the cost. I should not be forced to SIGN UP FOR APPLECARE EVERY TIME I WANT TO BUY ONE OF THEIR PRODUCTS SO DONT ANYONE TELL ME THAT I SHOULD HAVE.
it was my first mac and my last. im throwing this peice of crap away and investing in YES A PC! at least the pc world knows they have problems and they come up with an endless way to fix them, unlike apple who is in denial and acts as though their products have no problems. CYA MAC! HELLO PC!:mad: SORRY FOR THE MISPELLINGS BUT I AM PISSED OFF!

Hey, very sorry for your problems. I had the same problems you do with an iMac G5 I bought in Nov. 2004. You did mention that you checked the serial number and it was not under warranty. Just as a question, did you look at this page.

http://www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/

Like I said I had the same problem you are having. My computer was repaired free under this program, so check if you qualify.

JohnMC

Macmadant
Feb 11, 2007, 05:13 AM

No, if you brought a PC in an all in one case design like the imac you wouldn't have been able to upgrade the graphics card or if you had a pc with the graphics card soldered to the logic board you would have had to replace it,so it's no good coming on here and saying "this wouldn't happen with a PC" had you brought a powermac or a similar PC you would have been able to replace the Graphics card

Box-thrower
Feb 11, 2007, 12:02 PM
Now that I have calmed down let me say this. I LOVE OS X and it is far superior in my own view to any windows os. I will always prefer to use os x, but i realize that i am highly dissapointed with mac hardware. I couldnt find anyone or anywhere to vent my frustration but here. at the mac store i was sitting next to a guy who bought a $3000 imac had it for 3 months and it shutdown and he and the mac-guy (genuis bar) couldnt get it to power on. I loved my mac and os x , i enjoyed all the software,it is just now going to very hard for me to go in and buy another imac knowing what can happen. i know it might not happen again but even with applecare i dont want to have more problems and every time that i do maybe have replace the whole computer.I am not a rich person so i cant afford the mac pro's. So while im saving my money and looking for a new comp i will take a pc into consideration is all im saying sorry if I offend anyone, all this hit me by surprise thats all.

nateDEEZY
Feb 11, 2007, 01:12 PM
Next time invest in applecare =/

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 11, 2007, 01:23 PM
A product shouldnt just die in 2 years and if you fanboys are suggesting that then your doing nobody any favors including yourself. Its Known that iMac G5 has had a large amount of problems with its power supply and graphics.

mspork
Oct 23, 2008, 01:44 PM
Go to disk utility and verify permissions. Then, using Terminal, fix the permissions with chmod as root.

joelw135
Oct 23, 2008, 01:46 PM
A product shouldnt just die in 2 years and if you fanboys are suggesting that then your doing nobody any favors including yourself. Its Known that iMac G5 has had a large amount of problems with its power supply and graphics.

Are the new 2008 iMacs G5?