PDA

View Full Version : gcc 3.3 is out

Oid
May 15, 2003, 09:59 AM
Interestingly, if you read the changes / fixes list is says:

"The following changes have been made to the PowerPC port: Support for IBM Power4 processor added."

Hmmm, so they've added 64bit power4 process support to gcc3.3, and of course the power4 is not a million miles away from the 970.

Ar Apple going to introduce gcc3.3 as the next set of compiler tools at WWDC possibly..?

Bit of a tenious hhhmmmmmm maybe, but hmmmmmm nether-the-less.

mnkeybsness
May 15, 2003, 10:35 AM
link?

i don't mean to be a grammar nazi, but i had to read your post twice to understand what you were trying to say...spellcheck at least a little please

Oid
May 15, 2003, 10:52 AM
Ok, so it wasn't the most well written prose I've ever produced. However mistyping 'Ar' for 'Are' and 'process' for 'processor' doesn't need rocket science to interpret. Maybe I went overboard on the 'hmmmm's.... :)

Anyway, heres the link:
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.3/changes.html

Oid
May 15, 2003, 10:54 AM
Oh, and I spelt tenuous wrong...

I'll get my coat.

maradong
May 15, 2003, 11:08 AM
hm i ll test it as soon as it is aviable for linux. i ll give you feedback on the features, speeds, comptabilites.

celaurie
May 15, 2003, 11:31 AM
I'd love to know what GCC is!?

sparkleytone
May 15, 2003, 12:20 PM
GNU Compiler Collection i believe.

celaurie
May 15, 2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone

*enlightened* My thanks, kind Sir.

Gelfin
May 15, 2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Oid
nether-the-less

Also, this should be "nevertheless." :)

sparkleytone

Bah. Revisionism. :)

In classic unix-land, the C compiler was typically called "cc" for, not surprisingly, "C compiler." GCC was originally just short for "GNU C compiler," but now it supports other languages, so they've redefined the acronym.

yzedf
May 15, 2003, 02:09 PM
gcc is software... why is it in the hardware section?

Oid
May 15, 2003, 02:59 PM
It should have been in the software section, but I posted into the wrong forum by mistake....

Though saying that there is a hardware link to it, i.e. the reason I posted this new is that it is the first version of gcc to support ibm's power4, which isn't a million miles away from their 970... very interesting, since Apple needs this support to get 970's into macs for obvious reasons.