PDA

View Full Version : iPhone skins irk Apple

MacBytes
Jan 15, 2007, 06:06 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: iPhone skins irk Apple (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070115190641)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

poppe
Jan 15, 2007, 06:19 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: iPhone skins irk Apple (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070115190641)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Oh man they have Apple iphone skins for Windows!! no fricken way!... oh man...

GoCubsGo
Jan 15, 2007, 06:21 PM
WOW that is simply great!

zelmo
Jan 15, 2007, 06:33 PM
Dang. Taken down before I could grab it for my Treo.

RichP
Jan 15, 2007, 06:39 PM
ARg, anyone have it..stupid apple legal...can google every damn website and have them take down a phone skin, but cant figure out any sort of trademark law for "iphone"

Danksi
Jan 15, 2007, 06:45 PM
Get your 'cheap' iPhone now, on a network you choose... :D

DMann
Jan 15, 2007, 07:14 PM
Get your 'cheap' iPhone now, on a network you choose... :D

Man, even Pocket PCs are out there pluggin' the new iPhone...
this is amazing.

RichP
Jan 15, 2007, 07:15 PM
If you guys want the skin, search the usual "suspects" for rogue files on the net, I was able to get the WM5 skin pretty easy

Of course, installing the thing is beyond me.

phungy
Jan 15, 2007, 07:16 PM
Thanks for sharing!

poppe
Jan 15, 2007, 07:31 PM
I want it bad... looking for it. Have a few websites that I think might help me.. but who knows... Thank god this would save me so much from having to deal with cingular and buying a phone I really don't want much...

mrsebastian
Jan 15, 2007, 09:44 PM
i love apple, but they seriously go off the deep end on this stuff... hey apple, go [bleep] yourself on this kinda stupidity.

poppe
Jan 15, 2007, 10:45 PM
i love apple, but they seriously go off the deep end on this stuff... hey apple, go [bleep] yourself on this kinda stupidity.

I can understand where they are coming from and everything but seriously there are programs out there to change XP to look like OS X but no one is getting sued for that. and all my icons got changed to OS X style ones. Those I'm sure were copy written.

benthewraith
Jan 15, 2007, 10:52 PM
I can understand where they are coming from and everything but seriously there are programs out there to change XP to look like OS X but no one is getting sued for that. and all my icons got changed to OS X style ones. Those I'm sure were copy written.

Well, let's see, Apple decides to go into the mobile phone industry and create a GUI that looks similar to Windows Mobile, and they aren't expecting it to get copied? Apple is actually hurting themselves in this, and affirming that Apple is the company that litigates those that talk ill of their products.

Honestly, Apple should learn how to back off and appreciate that people want to theme their phones. It adds to the hype. But with actions like this, it may detract the hype.

sorryiwasdreami
Jan 15, 2007, 11:24 PM
...But with actions like this, it may detract the hype.

I think it's awesome that they are taking action. The action defines the company as something more grassroots progressive (in my view) and frankly makes me even love it more. Yes, of course Apple is a gigantic corporation, but in many ways carries the fighting spirit of the underdog.

Plus, I believe the hype will not be stifled; I see it blowing up even more since they are so uptight about being copied. To me, it creates more demand by applying the "people want what they can't have" cliche.

Lixivial
Jan 16, 2007, 12:03 AM
I can understand where they are coming from and everything but seriously there are programs out there to change XP to look like OS X but no one is getting sued for that.

They usually sue on announced, unreleased material. For instance, they did sue over aqua skins that were unveiled not long after Apple demoed it. OS X was not released immediately after Aqua was demoed.

It's generally not a good idea to poke the bee's hive that is known as Apple legal. Especially when Steve Jobs emphasizes the number of patents, and the fact that they'll protect them. It's not a wise move to be the first to create this stuff, not that it will stop people in the future.

This is hardly different than the Aqua situation. They don't want the interface to become proliferated before the actual thing ships.

Stella
Jan 16, 2007, 06:25 AM
Apple should take a chill pill. Its like they've got a pole up their arse, unfortunately.

SeanMcg
Jan 16, 2007, 02:12 PM
I think it's awesome that they are taking action. The action defines the company as something more grassroots progressive (in my view) and frankly makes me even love it more. Yes, of course Apple is a gigantic corporation, but in many ways carries the fighting spirit of the underdog.

Plus, I believe the hype will not be stifled; I see it blowing up even more since they are so uptight about being copied. To me, it creates more demand by applying the "people want what they can't have" cliche.

I don't know about the grassroots progressive (not disagreeing, just not completely understanding), but I have to agree with Apple's actions.

It amazes me how people think that if they want it, they should have it for free, when many spent a lot of time and man-hours to develop it. People copying the look, and not being able to copy the functionality, could hurt the sales of the actual product.

If you want the look, develop it yourself. What, you don't know how? You don't have the time, because you have a job where you're getting paid to provide a product or a service, yet you should have the fruits of someone else's labor for free? Apple is an innovative, for-profit business and must conduct itself as such. And this is coming from someone who hates the proliferation of lawsuits.

On a positive note, this does indeed show how good the Apple folks are at what they do, and I, for one, am willing to pay for it, if I want it.

Swarmlord
Jan 16, 2007, 02:15 PM
Imitation is the best form of flattery?

poppe
Jan 16, 2007, 03:44 PM
I don't know about the grassroots progressive (not disagreeing, just not completely understanding), but I have to agree with Apple's actions.

It amazes me how people think that if they want it, they should have it for free, when many spent a lot of time and man-hours to develop it. People copying the look, and not being able to copy the functionality, could hurt the sales of the actual product.

If you want the look, develop it yourself. What, you don't know how? You don't have the time, because you have a job where you're getting paid to provide a product or a service, yet you should have the fruits of someone else's labor for free? Apple is an innovative, for-profit business and must conduct itself as such. And this is coming from someone who hates the proliferation of lawsuits.

On a positive note, this does indeed show how good the Apple folks are at what they do, and I, for one, am willing to pay for it, if I want it.

I understand where you are coming from but this is free. Look how much stuff is out there that is imitating the ipod in some form or fashion. Maybe not as well as this, but still. Just seems harsh.

SeanMcg
Jan 16, 2007, 04:28 PM
Deleted - see below (fumblefingers :) )

bearbo
Jan 16, 2007, 04:43 PM
I

you?

SeanMcg
Jan 16, 2007, 04:49 PM
I understand where you are coming from but this is free. Look how much stuff is out there that is imitating the ipod in some form or fashion. Maybe not as well as this, but still. Just seems harsh.

I would agree if it were imitation or inspiration, but these are pixel-by-pixel copies of images that some talented people spent a great deal of time creating, and, furthermore, are subject to copyright.

On the other hand, look at XP. When Microsoft was developing the UI for it, they looked at OS X and apparently said, "Oh they have some bright colors there. Some are good, so lots more MUST be better!" It is garish, while OS X, even version 1, IMHO, had an elegance because people spent a lot of time working on it. While I believe Microsoft created a bad interface, they were inspired by OS X, but it was their own work in the end that made it to the desktop (forget about the recent misuse of OS X icons for a MS web page).

Now, I agree that the iPhone icons are out there on the Internet on Apple's own web page. If someone wants to modify their own smartphone with graphics that are available on the 'net, I say go for it. I believe that falls within a "fair use" concept of those images. Just don't expect the copyright owners of those images to sit idly by when you decide to publish something that isn't yours for the world to use.

poppe
Jan 16, 2007, 06:45 PM
I would agree if it were imitation or inspiration, but these are pixel-by-pixel copies of images that some talented people spent a great deal of time creating, and, furthermore, are subject to copyright.

On the other hand, look at XP. When Microsoft was developing the UI for it, they looked at OS X and apparently said, "Oh they have some bright colors there. Some are good, so lots more MUST be better!" It is garish, while OS X, even version 1, IMHO, had an elegance because people spent a lot of time working on it. While I believe Microsoft created a bad interface, they were inspired by OS X, but it was their own work in the end that made it to the desktop (forget about the recent misuse of OS X icons for a MS web page).

Now, I agree that the iPhone icons are out there on the Internet on Apple's own web page. If someone wants to modify their own smartphone with graphics that are available on the 'net, I say go for it. I believe that falls within a "fair use" concept of those images. Just don't expect the copyright owners of those images to sit idly by when you decide to publish something that isn't yours for the world to use.

Very good point. It'll be interesting to see if anyone comes out with a similar theme but has its own unique twist and no copy written pictures

szark
Jan 16, 2007, 06:57 PM
I'm pretty certain that all of the OS X theme makers that Apple sued were using actual images taken from OS X installations. If these skin makers were using copyrighted images from Apple's website, that would be the main reason why apple is pursuing them.