PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPhone Will Fail in a Late, Defensive Move

MacBytes
Jan 15, 2007, 06:52 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple iPhone Will Fail in a Late, Defensive Move (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070115195238)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

dejo
Jan 15, 2007, 06:56 PM
Next, the mobile-phone industry depends on cooperation with the big networks. Phones -- the high-end ones in particular --are usually sold with a network contract. The provider subsidizes the handset in the U.K. and hopes to recoup its money with ridiculously expensive charges for calls and data. Yet Apple has never been good at working with other companies. If it knew how to do that, it would be Microsoft Corp.
I guess he forgot about the whole 2-year Cingular/AT&T contract part of the announcement...

dllavaneras
Jan 15, 2007, 07:18 PM
Yet defensive products don't usually work -- consumers are interested in new things, not reheated versions of old things

Yeah, there are thousands of phones with nothing but touchscreen and an incredible UI :rolleyes:

IJ Reilly
Jan 15, 2007, 07:42 PM
This guy is the current king of the baloney wagon. It's hard to even know where to start picking apart his arguments. Maybe with the second paragraph:

To its many fans, Apple is more of a religious cult than a company. An iToaster that downloads music while toasting bread would probably get the same kind of worldwide attention.

That "religious cult" garbage is so 1990s. How many iPods has Apple sold in the last five years, bud?

Silencio
Jan 15, 2007, 07:46 PM
Puh-leeze! If the iPhone was a "defensive product", Apple would have released a much more stripped-down version of it a long time ago.

jono_3
Jan 15, 2007, 07:49 PM
who owns bloomberg.com i wonder..... "For the past week, it has been impossible to open a newspaper or look at a Web site without reading something about the shiny new phone." WOW youd think if someone was that exposed to something they understand what theyre talking about..

Lixivial
Jan 15, 2007, 08:09 PM
That "religious cult" garbage is so 1990s. How many iPods has Apple sold in the last five years, bud?

Yep. It's become a benchmark of a journalist with nothing left to say, or with an indefensible argument.

The only credible remarks that the press has about the iPhone at this point is regarding the trademark issues, but even this is pushing it a bit. It's not as if Apple can't name it something else. Everything else is pure speculation as we know nothing about the details that will determine the fate of the product.

kugino
Jan 15, 2007, 10:06 PM
he certainly doesn't understand the apple community at all...and yes, some of his arguments are quite poor. but, he has one good point:

- apple is not in total control of how well the iphone does b/c it does have to rely on these insidious cell phone companies. i think this, more than any other factor, will determine how well or how poorly the iphone will do. i'm sure if it were up to steve he'd have an unlocked iphone and one that also ran on CDMA networks...but being tied to cingular severely limits the market growth of the product.

other than that, this guy is a tool. it's "nothing more than a luxury bauble?" is the media so in the dark that they'd swoon over something simply because it was shiny? and "it was mainly produced to protect the ipod?" look, this thing was in the works for at least the last 2.5-3 years, if not longer. it's not a radical response to protect the standalone ipod from the mobile phone...rather, steve sees the mobile phone industry as a ripe area to introduce something truly remarkable. now, will the iphone succeed? who knows...it might, it might not. but if it fails, i think it will be b/c apple doesn't have total control over it...cingular's shortcomings will be its doom.

rjwill246
Jan 15, 2007, 11:06 PM
---since he is clearly NO asset to them in giving an analysis of the Apple world for Bloomberg's investors. Good grief, I have seen greater results from a soap suds enema than this guy produced. That was a poorly executed take on the phone world, indicates his biases (last shot at Cingular) and gives the impression that others must have foot his considerable bill for the intensive investigative reporting-- all 29 cents of it!!! That "report" was an embarrassment.

This week has lacked only one thing--- Dvorak's take on the iPhone--- Mmm is he still around? He has been very quiet. Even Enderle wasn't THAT negative, for a change. I think he might be switching.

balamw
Jan 16, 2007, 12:00 AM
This week has lacked only one thing--- Dvorak's take on the iPhone--- Mmm is he still around? He has been very quiet.

Not quiet enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KERaBIgIYVU

B

Chaszmyr
Jan 16, 2007, 05:33 AM
First, I think it's false that iPhone is a defensive product. I don't think the iPod really needs to be protected (maybe some day, but not now). Rather, I think Apple is mostly trying to expand into a new market.

Second, the article is obviously every bit as biased as any response that it will get from an Apple geek. The columnist tipped his hand when he said "if it could, it would be Microsoft."

Jan 16, 2007, 10:00 AM
i'm sure if it were up to steve he'd have an unlocked iphone and one that also ran on CDMA networks...but being tied to cingular severely limits the market growth of the product.
So now it's cingular's fault that they didn't have the balls to sell it unlocked and with skype and ichat on it?

IJ Reilly
Jan 16, 2007, 10:10 AM
So now it's cingular's fault that they didn't have the balls to sell it unlocked and with skype and ichat on it?

Some of the iPhone's features are apparently dependent on server-side technologies developed by Cingular. An unlocked iPhone would not be an iPhone.

aLoC
Jan 16, 2007, 11:18 AM
It's not a defensive product. They probably just thought all the existing smart phones were *****, and they could do a better job. And they have.