PDA

View Full Version : Why Hollywood Snubbed Jobs at Macworld

MacBytes
Jan 15, 2007, 06:55 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Why Hollywood Snubbed Jobs at Macworld (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070115195550)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Porco
Jan 15, 2007, 07:25 PM
3 iPods? Oh no!!

Hey Hollywood, wake up to the 21st Century will you?!

Funnily enough, other people in the home can be present and watch the same DVD! Yes, even more than three whole people!!! *gasp*

Please don't sue me quite yet, but some of my DVDs have even been seen by as many as SEVEN people! Oh, the shame. :rolleyes: None of my DVD screenings were on an oil rig or in a prison, I must stress!

So, Hollywood, how are those restrictions on sharing movie viewing on DVD going on your products in Wal-Mart and Target?

If it was me, I wouldn't be turning down lucrative competition for the illegal downloads you keep telling everyone is costing you billions all the time. Maybe I'm crazy! :p

IJ Reilly
Jan 15, 2007, 07:33 PM
How many times does he have to call Jobs "the whiskered one?" Clever the first time, not the second.

Oddly, he misses the main reason why Disney was the first: Steve Jobs is the largest stockholder. Some predicted that Steve's involvement with Disney might make it more difficult for Apple to sign on other studios. Maybe the real story here is that, so far at least, it's turned out to be true.

jono_3
Jan 15, 2007, 07:36 PM
kindof stupid article

Danksi
Jan 15, 2007, 08:27 PM
Then, there is the issue of price. Charging $14.99 for new flicks and $9.99 for older ones, Jobs clearly wants to undercut big-box retailers like Wal-Mart (WMT) and Target (TGT), which sell the great majority of the newer DVDs these days for as much as $19 a pop.

This bit always urks me - an iTunes movie download, undercutting DVD sales at Wal-Mart etc... they're totally different products.

A DVD provides great quality picture and sound, tangible packaging and usually some extra (sometimes really useful/interesting - sometimes off the editing room floor).

An iTunes movies blows my ISPs bandwidth allowance, uses up my hard drive space and then I loose hair over backing it all up!

Our CD collection may be in a storage box, but our DVD collection, remains on the shelf.

California
Jan 15, 2007, 10:05 PM
I don't know. I'm an Apple fangoil, but I don't think I would download an iTunes movie because of loss of quality. An episode of Law and Order (any of them) -- yeah, I would.

Hollywood needs to concentrate on making good movies first, then Hollywood needs to crack down on illegal counterfeiters in China and Russia -- not Cupertino.

dsnort
Jan 15, 2007, 10:13 PM
The studios completely overlook the fact that downloads require no physical investment, ( no DVD ), and are of lower quality and content, ( no specials ). What a bunch of schmucks.

dllavaneras
Jan 15, 2007, 10:18 PM
What a bunch od schmucks.

Money is all they're concerned about. They only see 19 > 14.99

Danksi
Jan 15, 2007, 10:24 PM
The studios completely overlook the fact that downloads require no physical investment, ( no DVD ), and are of lower quality and content, ( no specials ). What a bunch od schmucks.

I suspect the specials are their way of maintaining the 'high' prices. Their DVD costs would remain the same regardless of how much information is put on there. They release a DVD, then shortly afterwards a 'Special Edition' DVD, then the series box series... money for old rope surely?

To follow my previous post, regards preferring to buy a DVD, over iTunes. How big are the iTunes movie downloads? I've heard they're around 1Gb?

e.g. I'm charged CDN$3/1Gb over my monthly bandwidth allocation (10Gb) + say $0.40/Gb of hard drive space. So $9.99/$14.99 + $3.40 = ~Price of a DVD.

Pikemann Urge
Jan 16, 2007, 12:52 AM
Add into the equation the new Apple TV, which would allow folks to put that movie on their TVs
OH MY GAWRD! RUN FOR THE HILLS-UH! THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING! AHHHH!

For *******'s sake that is such a stupid article, really.

EDIT: Oh, and while TV shows seem a logical buy from iTunes, movies don't. I'm surprised that many movies have actually been sold. The DVD is a far better buy. Each to his own...