Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daedelgt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
When rendering certain web pages, or performing certain filters in Photoshop the computer emits a high pitched noise that sounds like it is coming from the upper left hand corner of the base of the computer. I guess this is the video card. I'm also assuming this is not normal. In particular I know for sure it does it durring the Alienskin Eyecandy 4000 plug "Fire".

Is this something I should be talking to Apple about? I can't imagine what would cause something to resonate (or for that matter what would be resonating at all). Maybe the speakers are getting some high grade interference from the video card?

joshuajestelle

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I'm not sure what that sound is but I believe I'm experiencing it at well.

I'm assuming you're talking about the 17" Powerbook yea?

I've noticed it happen whenever I access secure webpages (https://)

If you find out anything about what's causing it I'd be happy to know.

Thanks,
Josh

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Re: 17" Question

Originally posted by daedelgt
When rendering certain web pages, or performing certain filters in Photoshop the computer emits a high pitched noise that sounds like it is coming from the upper left hand corner of the base of the computer. I guess this is the video card. I'm also assuming this is not normal. In particular I know for sure it does it durring the Alienskin Eyecandy 4000 plug "Fire".

Is this something I should be talking to Apple about? I can't imagine what would cause something to resonate (or for that matter what would be resonating at all). Maybe the speakers are getting some high grade interference from the video card?

That question wasn't seventeen inches. It was eight inches by an inch and a half at best.

You have nothing to worry about. This is a normal sound. My 17" Powerbook makes it, and I've heard others comment on it. It's louder than most I've heard, but many electronic components make noises like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.