PDA

View Full Version : iBook vs. Powerbook for FCP3?

Pancake
May 15, 2003, 02:49 PM
I'm will be going to University in London this fall and am trying to save up for a laptop, Apple ofcourse. I can probally get the money together for an iBook but hope to get enough for a Powerbook.

The most demanding program I use is FCP. My question is: How much of a performance difference will there be between a iBook and a Powerbook when it comes to FCP. And keep in mind I use FCP on a G4 400, which is so slow for rendering, that anything would be an improvement.

ibookin'
May 15, 2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Pancake
I'm will be going to University in London this fall and am trying to save up for a laptop, Apple ofcourse. I can probally get the money together for an iBook but hope to get enough for a Powerbook.

The most demanding program I use is FCP. My question is: How much of a performance difference will there be between a iBook and a Powerbook when it comes to FCP. And keep in mind I use FCP on a G4 400, which is so slow for rendering, that anything would be an improvement.

The advantage to having a Powerbook for FCP 3 or 4 is that it can render most of the effects in real time. I suggest getting a 15" or 17" for the widescreen if you're going to be doing a lot of work in FCP. Widescreens are incredible in that program. I've used it with a Cinema display and the experience is so much better than with a standard screen.

MacFan25
May 15, 2003, 04:47 PM
Another thing is that the iBook is a G3, but the PowerBook is a G4, so that could make a difference in FCP, too.

WinterMute
May 15, 2003, 05:44 PM
Just changed up to the 17' AlBook from a 400 TiBook, and FCP 3 flies on it in comparison, if you're serious about yout DV work, get the PowerBook.

ibookin'
May 15, 2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by MacFan25
Another thing is that the iBook is a G3, but the PowerBook is a G4, so that could make a difference in FCP, too.

The main difference being zero rendering time, as I said in my original post.

Another advantage of the 15" or above PowerBook is that it also has L3 cache, which will speed up apps like FCP.

Also, get a large external 7200RPM or better hard drive if you're going to be doing serious video work on a laptop.

melchior
May 15, 2003, 07:30 PM
you're comparing the ibook to the PB, so i assume you are talking about the 12" models....

well, i just wanted to make it clear, and i agree with everyone here, for various reasons. you need a 15" or 17" PB. the 12" PB is noticably better than the ibook, but not that much, when it comes to rendering huge things. (read: painful on ibook. slow on 12"pb)

wait for the 15" revision. you will be happy.

Pancake
May 15, 2003, 07:51 PM
Thanks everybody.

I was thinking a Powerbook was the way to go, just wanted some reasurrence.

I will definately wait for the 15" revision.

Now I just have to save $3000.

ibookin'
May 15, 2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Pancake
No I just have to save $3000.

Ah, the only problem...

:D