PDA

View Full Version : MiniDisc to MP3/AAC Device?

jxyama
May 15, 2003, 02:57 PM
About three or four years ago, I decided to dump most of my old CDs to MiniDisc and sell the CDs. I hardly listen to music anymore, but ever since I bought my PowerBook 12", I've been tempted to consolidate all of my music collection on the HD. (I haven't bought an iPod yet... though tempted.)

Is there a device that can read MiniDiscs and lets me dump the music on it to my Mac? After ATRAC music files are dumped, can they be converted to MP3/AAC?

I already have a really nice portable MD recorder/player so I am just looking for a reader.

nighttraitor
May 15, 2003, 06:41 PM
I don't know about a reader, but I use the Griffen iMic to import outside audio. It is USB enabled and works without drivers. I'm thinking you can run a 1/8" mini cord from the out-put of your MiniDisc to the input on the iMic. You can then use iTunes 4 to convert to mp3 or aac. I hope that helps.

jxyama
May 16, 2003, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the tip... I assume this will reduce the sound quality to that of a microphone...

Bummer...

On a not so bummer note, picked up a 10 gb iPod last night. This thing is pretty darn smooth... :D

melchior
May 16, 2003, 09:06 AM
there is a VERY expensive device that can read the atrac data using a pc. but we're talking 4000, it might be more. it's in an email archive if you really want to know what it is and how much it is.

as for doing what you want. enter: a windows pc and a netmd portable.
windows is the devil right? well, NetMD is the one thing i would use windows for. (and kazza)

check out this (http://minidisc.org/netmd_analog_uploading.html). It is is real time (slow) but using it with either a digital input for a usb-analog line-in it gives good results.

this is the best solution you will find. sorry.

p.s. netmd doesn't work with vpc on os x. didn't in vpc5 either. it was a demanded fix. unleash the conspiracy theories!!! this could work in os 9 with vpc but i have not tried it.

jxyama
May 16, 2003, 12:49 PM
Ah, thanks for the info. I probably won't bother with the 4,000 pounds (that's over $6,000!) device. I could re-purchase all the CDs I sold for that price. :p

I will contemplate on the NetMD idea. I knew about and my gf has a PC, so it would work. The only thing is that I'd need a new MD player, which is about $130 here... For that much, I might opt to simply buy the songs I want from iTMS. They are mostly popular music, iTMS probably has a good chance of carrying it...

So there goes my beloved MD player. Served me very well for 2 years since I bought it in Japan for $300 in early 2001... iPod is just unbelievably slick though. No MDs to carry around or re-typing all the song titles.

If anyone else cares, I convinced myself that I didn't need an iPod until I saw the new one at the Apple Store in Michigan. There was no turning back after playing with it for a few minutes. It's a bit scary to think how Apple, IMO, one upped the older iPod model because I thought that would be impossible.

yzedf
May 16, 2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by jxyama
Ah, thanks for the info. I probably won't bother with the 4,000 pounds (that's over $6,000!) device. I could re-purchase all the CDs I sold for that price. :p
Or buy the songs/albums you can from iTMS. ;)

melchior
May 16, 2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by jxyama

I will contemplate on the NetMD idea. I knew about and my gf has a PC, so it would work. The only thing is that I'd need a new MD player, which is about $130 here... For that much, I might opt to simply buy the songs I want from iTMS. They are mostly popular music, iTMS probably has a good chance of carrying it...

So there goes my beloved MD player. Served me very well for 2 years since I bought it in Japan for $300 in early 2001... iPod is just unbelievably slick though. No MDs to carry around or re-typing all the song titles.

If anyone else cares, I convinced myself that I didn't need an iPod until I saw the new one at the Apple Store in Michigan. There was no turning back after playing with it for a few minutes. It's a bit scary to think how Apple, IMO, one upped the older iPod model because I thought that would be impossible.

i was using MD since i was 16 - so that's a good 4 years. i owned 2 sony players, 1 sony recorder, 1 sony deck, a sharp recorder and a panasonic player. there was a time when i could import a recorder from japan, use it for 9 months and sell it at a profit to buy the latest model! :D MD served me well. i came to japan. (i'm currently in japan) and MD is everywhere right? well i just decided that i don't want over a hundred friggin' MD's so i waited on iPod's, since before christmas. and i got mine. and it's sweet. and i'm happy. and i'm going to scratch it all to hell. :D

md is great for trading and i wish sony would ante (anti?) up and give uploads. surely they realise MD is losing ground as a listening medium it does however, with NetMD have the opportunity still (until the iPod gets recording) to be a great recording device IF it had upload.

poor MD, i will always love it. even my MD deck i carried back in a suitcase from Texas to Australia.... *sigh*:p

melchior
May 16, 2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by yzedf
Or buy the songs/albums you can from iTMS. ;)

he said that in his next paragraph :rolleyes:

jxyama
May 16, 2003, 01:48 PM
Ahh... MD memories...

I got my first MD player/recorder back in 1996. My bro (who went to school in Japan) got me one. An old cranky Kenwood one with a monsterous proprietary battery. I hardly used it because it was a pain to use and carry.

I replaced that with a slick Sony player in 1998. In 1999, when I went to Europe to research for two years, I dumped about 200 CDs worth of music into MD to reduce the physical size of music related stuff to take to Europe... Then I got the recorder/player in 2001... which I own today.

Now, all that clutter is reduced to one iPod and a 12" PB. Quite amazing, actually.

In Japan, you can rent CDs so MDs took off. If you made digital copies of CDs to MD, you could hardly tell the difference. Rental CD is only 2 to 3 bucks for each album so that was really economical...

Maybe when I go to Japan later this year, I will search for some way to port ATRAC to a Mac... I'm going to stay optimistic. :)