PDA

View Full Version : USB Port on Apple TV

EmoJuelz
Jan 16, 2007, 08:14 AM
Does anyone know what this is for? I would like to connect a USB hard drive to it so I wouldn't need to have my desktop on to watch movies?

balamw
Jan 16, 2007, 08:17 AM
They claim it's for service/updates only.

My Samsung HDTV has a similarly neutered USB port, unlike my DirecTiVos which claim the port as "future expansion".

B

Jasonbot
Jan 16, 2007, 08:18 AM
Well it's supposed to be for "internal" support uses but maybe it could be used for iPod integration, no idea

HelixOmnimedia
Jan 16, 2007, 11:24 AM
I would like to connect a USB hard drive to it so I wouldn't need to have my desktop on to watch movies?

I've got an Apple TV on order, and now have a touch of buyers remorse.
I also would love to add my external hard drive to it, just so i wouldn't need to have my PowerBook running.
I'm in two mind of to keep the order and hope that it could be used, or cancel the order until they add this feature or until someone know a way around it.

rtdgoldfish
Jan 16, 2007, 12:18 PM
I was kinda hoping that the USB port would work like the USB port on the AirPort express and provide a wireless printer server. Any word on that happening?? I would love to replace my AirPort Express with an AppleTV but that is the one feature that is holding me back right now. I guess I could always move the printer to another room with the Express but it would be so easy just to switch the AppleTV and the Express.

benguild
Jan 20, 2007, 04:46 AM
Any idea if it'll read from an iPod over the USB port... like the XBox 360?

Counterfit
Jan 20, 2007, 05:50 AM
I was kinda hoping that the USB port would work like the USB port on the AirPort express and provide a wireless printer server. Any word on that happening?? I would love to replace my AirPort Express with an AppleTV but that is the one feature that is holding me back right now. I guess I could always move the printer to another room with the Express but it would be so easy just to switch the AppleTV and the Express.

I don't think the AppleTV would be the best print server. I mean, right next to the TV? :o

iW00t
Jan 20, 2007, 06:22 AM
Well it's supposed to be for "internal" support uses but maybe it could be used for iPod integration, no idea

If so then they would have removed the port during manufacturing.

That port costs like 1c to the unit cost of each TV, that'd work out to the price of another Aston Martin!

balamw
Jan 20, 2007, 12:21 PM
If so then they would have removed the port during manufacturing.

That port costs like 1c to the unit cost of each ?TV, that'd work out to the price of another Aston Martin!

It's a fail-safe firmware upgrade doohickey. Basically if the device gets bricked, you'll be able to upgrade the firmware by sticking a USB stick in the port. My Samsung HDTV has a port just like it for "service" but otherwise useless. Of course my DirecTivos also have useless USB ports thanks to DirecTV.

B

tdhurst
Jan 20, 2007, 01:10 PM

Does the Apple TV even have routing capabilities? As far as I know it doesn't, making it a less than worthy replacement for an Airport Express.

tdhurst
Jan 20, 2007, 01:12 PM
I've got an Apple TV on order, and now have a touch of buyers remorse.
I also would love to add my external hard drive to it, just so i wouldn't need to have my PowerBook running.
I'm in two mind of to keep the order and hope that it could be used, or cancel the order until they add this feature or until someone know a way around it.

The Apple TV was designed to STREAM from a Mac...I don't recall it saying anything about attaching a hard drive in any documentation I've read.

Jasonbot
Jan 20, 2007, 01:29 PM
Apple TV's secs are pretty mediocre but I guess it could be hacked to run linux and be used as a router of sorts. That would be awesome. Wait, does it have ethernet? I dont think so :(

balamw
Jan 20, 2007, 02:02 PM
The Apple TV was designed to STREAM from a Mac...I don't recall it saying anything about attaching a hard drive in any documentation I've read.

Stream of Sync. It has a built in 40 GB drive for syncing.

Apple TV's secs are pretty mediocre but I guess it could be hacked to run linux and be used as a router of sorts. That would be awesome. Wait, does it have ethernet? I dont think so :(

Yes, it has Ethernet. Like the new Airport it's only 10/100BASE-T.

B

MacMiniMeister
Jan 21, 2007, 01:29 AM
I certainly don't know what the USB port is for, but I have an idea of what it could be used for. As you may know Apple recently, and rather quietly, stopped selling the iSight. What if the a new USB based iSight came out that could take advantage of all the 802.11n streaming goodness inside the Apple TV?

A newer iSight with better resolution, better low light sensitivity and ability to sit on top of your TV would give Apple the pieces for computerless living room video chats with Grandma in Toledo.

Since you'll need a high speed connection and 802.11n wireless router like the Airport Extreme (or an ethernet connection) to effectively use the Apple TV why not add a $199 - $249 high resolution iSight to your system and bypass sitting in front of the computer to video chat?

I could see Video Chat being added to the Apple TV menu via an update after the newer iSight is released.

Of course this would be for simple video chat - no file attachments, sending pictures, etc. And there would be setup issues, security issues for Apple to resolve, but this is the kind of stuff Apple does well in my opinion.

Maxwell Smart
Jan 21, 2007, 08:59 AM
I'm really hoping that apple will reveal that the USB has more features then just "service". I mean, why advertise the unit as having USB2 when you can't even use the port conventionally. My hope is that it will allow for external storage, but who knows, they may even start making USB based TV tuners for the thing to make it a real all-in-one media device! :D