Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Electronista is reporting a vague and unconfirmed claim that the Beatles will come to iTunes on or around Valentines Day.

The announcement will involve "Love," as well. Our source says Apple will have a three month exclusive window for both downloads and remasters. The street release schedule for the remasters was not clear. Conflicting information from our source said that they might be released both all together or in groups, as was done when the first Beatles CDs were released. A compilation is also being discussed, but no firm details are available, the source says.

Steve Jobs curiously showed a collection of Beatles tunes on his demonstration iPhone during the MWSF keynote, which may be signaling the pending release of such a deal. On the other hand, such a demonstration may also be leading to false reports.

danvdr

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2004
Hope it's true. That would be a serious feather in the Apple/iTunes cap. And with all the Beatles references at MWSF it seems to have some credence.

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
Let's not forget that Steve Jobs also played The Beatles at the initial iPod media event back in '01. He even sang along. Not that it adds or detracts from any other credible remarks, but his use of Beatles on the iPhone should add no further evidence to this rumor.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Theories concerning all the Beatles music during the keynote:

1. There is a deal which will be announced in the future.
2. A tactic to generate discussion and convince Apple Music that there is great interest in such a deal and it would serve them well to make such a deal.
3. Steve likes Beatles music.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
This is excellent...

.. but only if its not only for the u.s store but a world wide iTunes release.

Cubert

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
If true, this would make for a much better Valentine's Day gift this year than last (Oompa Loompa was first reported on Valentine's Day).

bketchum

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
Grand Portage, Minnesota
Let's not forget that Steve Jobs also played The Beatles at the initial iPod media event back in '01. He even sang along. Not that it adds or detracts from any other credible remarks, but his use of Beatles on the iPhone should add no further evidence to this rumor.
Does it not? The iTunes music store didn't exist at the introduction of the iPod in 2001, and there was no jostling for position between the two Apple companies back then. In the current setting, Jobs and company, to their amusement, are keenly aware of the message that would be sent if they played a Beatle's song on one of their music products at this year's MacWorld keynote speech. Did Steve not show several Beatles songs? I believe it's a foregone conclusion.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Remember when the Zune came out ?..We DO remember the Zune right ? :p

When it came out it had some Beatles album art on it too.

Zune? Isn't it dead yet? :rolleyes:

It's MORE THAN OBVIOUS that Apple already has the Beatles, considering the mention of the band classics and cover art at MW, as well as the name of the company which draws it even closer to Apple Corps.

Trust me, the agreement is already signed and Apple just awaits the best occasion for telling the story...after that, the Zune and MS are DEAD in terms of online music...having the Beatles catalog on the iTMS is just AWESOME and the cherry on top of the icecream of music downloads...this is simply HUGE, like the Beatles or not...

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
What if....Apple inc bought Apple corps...full access to all the Beatles' stuff, and would make money from the CD sales...just a thought...

Negotiating with Apple for the rights to the recordings is only a small part of it all. Negotiating a deal for the entire catalogue is difficult as the publishing rights are owned by a number of companies/individuals. The Widipedia entry on The Beatles has some information about this.

Also, Apple Corps isn't necessarily for sale.

I wonder if Michael Jackson's legal fees have forced him to look for avenues of income...

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
Negotiating with Apple for the rights to the recordings is only a small part of it all. Negotiating a deal for the entire catalogue is difficult as the publishing rights are owned by a number of companies/individuals. The Widipedia entry on The Beatles has some information about this.

Also, Apple Corps isn't necessarily for sale.

I wonder if Michael Jackson's legal fees have forced him to look for avenues of income...

Doesn't Sony co-own those publishing rights to that music with Jackson? I don't think that they'll be letting go of those any time soon.

The LOVE theme would work with the latest Beatles release that goes along with the Circ De Solier (sp) act that goes with that music. I't would make sense for that to be released on Valentines Day (with Steve introducing it on Tuesday the 13th for those who like that Tuesday tie in ;) )

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I hope it's true but i don't believe that it would be JUST because Steve played it in the keynote demo. Sure playing a song like the Gorillaz or whatever gets you free advertising, but part of it also is the mood that it sets and that aspect of advertising. Playing the Beatles may be just to appeal to the audience with the music and not necessarily advertise the band.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Personally I think the reason Jobs showed the album art and played Beatles music was because the Zune showed Beatles album's on it when it came out.
Steve was saying "HEY! If Microsoft can do it we can too"

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Why did Steve Jobs play Beatles music during the keynote?

Peace's theory:
He was worried about the competition.​

Other reasonable theories:
He was trying to build up interest in their music because they had finally made a deal.

He was still negotiating with them and did it as a gesture of good faith.

Simply because he likes their music, which we know.​

Less reasonable theories:
He was purposely giving a hint of things to come. That's not likely for secrecy-obsessed Apple.​

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
Why did Steve Jobs play Beatles music during the keynote?

Less reasonable theories:
He was purposely giving a hint of things to come. That's not likely for secrecy-obsessed Apple.​

You're probably right, but one of my favorite "right under our nose" Apple moments was when Steve introduced Keynote and said "oh yea, and I've been testing it out when giving my keynote addresses at the last few MacWorld's."

We all watch those keynotes a little more carefully now. I read several viewers mention the transitions, etc. of Steve's latest keynote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.