PDA

View Full Version : Apple replaced my ibook with a macbook!

2tallyAwesome
Jan 16, 2007, 12:02 PM
Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this site, although I have been reading for quite a while. I just wanted to share my love for apple and that they replaced my failing ibook with a brand new macbook.

I had a 1Ghz ibook G4, that after about 2 years began to have logic board issues. Since I didn't purchase applecare I paid the $300 flat repair fee to have it fixed, which came with a 90 day warranty. After about 3 months, the logic board failed again (argh) and again 2 months after that (argh!). At this point I was getting very aggrivated, and decided to send a letter to apple corporate offices letting them know I was unhappy with the service I was receiving.

Well a week after I sent my letter, I got a response from the corporate offices letting me know they had approved a brand new macbook to replace the nearly 3 year old ibook!

I just received the macbook yesterday, and couldn't be happier. It's brand a brand new C2D, and I ran the serial number and it came back as being purchased on the 12th, so it really is new and not refurbished!!

I just thought since there are so many reports of bad service from apple, that I should share my positive experience.

Thanks!!!

Oh and BTW. So far no noise at ALL coming from the logic board (I know this is usually a problem) and I am usually very sensitive to that kind of whining since I have a TV that does the same thing and it drives me absolutely batty. Hopefully it will stay that way.

TonicAngel
Jan 16, 2007, 12:03 PM
That's awesome! Congrats! :D

phungy
Jan 16, 2007, 12:06 PM
Sweet upgrade!!

GimmeSlack12
Jan 16, 2007, 12:09 PM
Wow, I'm quite jealous.

barr08
Jan 16, 2007, 12:09 PM
Think they'll give me a new macbook for my broken g3? :D

2tallyAwesome
Jan 16, 2007, 12:12 PM
http://www.apple.com/support/

It's near the bottom on the right where it says "About Your Support Coverage"

It should come up with the purchase date and warranty coverage.

BoyBach
Jan 16, 2007, 12:34 PM
That's a great bit of 'luck' (?), I'd be extremely happy :)

Now, I wonder if my G5 iMac could start developing a fault...Or if my 4th Gen iPod... :D

2tallyAwesome
Jan 16, 2007, 12:44 PM
Well it definitely was an aggrivating six months or so, and I'm pretty certain that the G4 logic boards are just generally faulty. However I'm very happy that Apple decided to do what they could to make it right.

Skrilla™
Jan 16, 2007, 12:47 PM
sounds like poor service at first, but they more than made up for it! Congrats! :D

interlaced
Jan 16, 2007, 12:48 PM
That is so awesome!

FleurDuMal
Jan 16, 2007, 12:49 PM
Well done!

Now if only they'd replace my Macbook with a Mac Pro :p :rolleyes:

Cybergypsy
Jan 16, 2007, 12:52 PM
Play lotto :)

Jasonbot
Jan 16, 2007, 12:57 PM
Which model did you receive?

2tallyAwesome
Jan 16, 2007, 01:03 PM
My ibook was the base version, so I received the base version of the macbook.

No problem though since I was going to upgrade the harddrive and ram no matter which version I received, and I don't really have a use for a super drive since my DVD player plays video CDs.

psychofreak
Jan 16, 2007, 01:04 PM
For future reference, what was the tone of your letter?

Was it angry, polite etc. Did you ask for a new laptop?

mrzeve
Jan 16, 2007, 01:08 PM
For future reference, what was the tone of your letter?

Was it angry, polite etc. Did you ask for a new laptop?

I agree. If you could provide us with a copy of the letter, as well as the address you sent it to, that would be great. Many users can benefit from it.

2tallyAwesome
Jan 16, 2007, 01:09 PM
I was very respectful, but firm in my position that I was unhappy with the service I was receiving.

Please don't take this in any way as a road map to receive a new computer, however I wanted to put it out there that it is possible and does happen if you work with the system.

Unfortunately I don't feel comfortable posting a copy of the letter (I'm afraid it might put me in violation of the legal forms I had to sign when I received the macbook) However I just stated my product history, and that I needed a machine I could depend on.

Also I sent it to their corporate offices in Cupertino, Attn: Steve Jobs (lol).

evilgEEk
Jan 16, 2007, 01:14 PM
I had a 1Ghz ibook G4, that after about 2 years began to have logic board issues.

What was your iBook doing, exactly?

2tallyAwesome
Jan 16, 2007, 01:16 PM
At first the video would freeze after 10 minutes of use (this would increase in frequency the more I used it) and eventually it would simply boot to a blue screen.

The second and third times the logic board failed, video failed completely and the only thing that would happen when trying to boot up would be the fan kicking on full blast.

Anonymous Freak
Jan 16, 2007, 01:18 PM
*POUND POUND POUND*

Hey, Apple, my first-gen MacBook Pro is starting to experience problems.

*POUND POUND POUND*

Could I get a new Core 2 based one?

*POUND POUND POUND*

Please? :-D

Mine actually has had logic board issues, and has already been replaced once. Sadly, I didn't get a processor speed bump, since mine was the original $2499 model at 2.0 GHz with 256 MB VRAM, where the $2499 model ended at 2.16 GHz. I was actually rather worried that they might accidentally replace my logic board with the newer $1999 2.0 GHz model with only 128 MB VRAM. But they got it right.

They weren't horrible issues, it was just that four issues had all come up, so I finally took it in. (Screen whine, ExpressCard cage broken, random crashes on wake, and the top casing had scratching in the painted area in front of the keyboard.)

macmike47
Jan 16, 2007, 01:33 PM
Well done!

Now if only they'd replace my Macbook with a Mac Pro :p :rolleyes:

If only they'd replace my Lisa with a Mac Pro! :p

evilgEEk
Jan 16, 2007, 03:12 PM
At first the video would freeze after 10 minutes of use (this would increase in frequency the more I used it) and eventually it would simply boot to a blue screen.

The second and third times the logic board failed, video failed completely and the only thing that would happen when trying to boot up would be the fan kicking on full blast.

That's the exact same problem I'm having with my wife's iBook. There's an online petition with roughly 1500 signatures of people with the same problem.

Link to Apple website Discussions (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=632554&tstart=0)

Link to Online Petition (http://www.petitiononline.com/ibookg4/petition.html)

2tallyAwesome
Jan 16, 2007, 03:17 PM
Yeah I saw that, but at this time Apple is still not recognizing that as a legitimate problem. I would suggest (if it is the logic board) paying the $300 flat repair fee. It comes with a 90 day warranty, so if you have repeat problems it will be covered, and you will have a leg to stand on if you want to bargain for a replacement machine.

SMM
Jan 16, 2007, 03:17 PM
I sure wish Apple made automobiles

evilgEEk
Jan 16, 2007, 03:26 PM
t comes with a 90 day warranty, so if you have repeat problems it will be covered ...

If I shell out the $300 to get it fixed and I get this 90 day warranty and it fails on me after the 90 period, say in 120 days, will it still be covered?

Or does it have to fail within that 90 day time frame for it to be covered?

2tallyAwesome
Jan 16, 2007, 03:30 PM
Mine was outside the warranty by a week or so, however they still civered it. I believe it's the discretion of the Mac Genius. I was lucky and got some very nice ones.

evilgEEk
Jan 16, 2007, 03:36 PM
Mine was outside the warranty by a week or so, however they still civered it. I believe it's the discretion of the Mac Genius. I was lucky and got some very nice ones.

Hmm... My nearest Apple Store is about six hours away, so I would just send it in to Apple directly. I guess if it failed on me after the 90 days it would just come down to how convincing I can be over the phone. ;)

Anonymous Freak
Jan 16, 2007, 05:07 PM
If only they'd replace my Lisa with a Mac Pro! :p

Well, if you happen to have an original Lisa (the one with two 5.25" "Twiggy" drives, rather than the Lisa 2 that had a single standard 3.5" drive,) you could sell it on eBay and buy a top-of-the-line Mac Pro with the proceeds.

A BROKEN one sold (http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Lisa-One-Extremely-Rare_W0QQitemZ150077783182QQihZ005QQcategoryZ80286QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) a couple days ago for $7,500. Although this guy's been a member for 5 years, and this is his first auction, ever, and he makes a point of being willing to ship anywhere; which just smacks of fraud. But the fact that someone was willing to bid $7,500 for a broken one shows the demand.

For $7,500, you could get dual 3.0 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 2x500 GB hard drives, ATI Radeon X1900XT, 30" Display, Dual SuperDrives, AirPort & Bluetooth, and Wireless keyboard and mouse.

killr_b
Jan 16, 2007, 05:12 PM
That's tight!!!!!

Celebrate in style :cool:

bankshot
Jan 16, 2007, 05:31 PM
Think they'll give me a new macbook for my broken g3? :D

Exactly what I was thinking. Ours died around last March or April, out of warranty and too old to be covered by the logic board replacement program anymore. Even though it was over 3.5 years old, it kind of ticked me off that Apple never corrected the design flaw that caused several logic board failures over the life of that machine.

We pleaded to the guy at the Apple Store, but to no avail. Figured it was a lost cause and bought a Macbook to replace it after they came out in May. I wonder if a firm letter to corporate would have helped?? Probably too late now, as the iBook's over 4 years old at this point.

Oh well, I can still dream about getting a free second Macbook... :D :rolleyes:

Cybergypsy
Jan 16, 2007, 06:08 PM
Dear Steve,

The iphone i bought is made of cardboard.....Please send me a new one....

balamw
Jan 16, 2007, 06:31 PM
The iphone i bought is made of cardboard.....Please send me a new one....

Oh, so it's a i-i-i-i-i-i-i-Phone (http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/index.html)?

B

grafikat
Jan 16, 2007, 06:58 PM
Lol! That reminds me of theBusted Up Cowgirl Story! (http://bustedupcowgirl.com/scampage.html)

NavySEAL6
Jan 16, 2007, 10:06 PM
wow, sick free upgrade. you definitely lucked out