PDA

View Full Version : iMac vs. PowerMac

vouder17
May 15, 2003, 08:08 PM
I need help , i own at the moment the 233mhz iMac , it is really old and i am thinking of an upgrade , but i don't know what to choose; should i spend more but get expandibilty with the PowerMac, or spend less and get a perfect computer but most probably not last as long as the PowerMac and go for the iMac.
I am not a person that needs a superfast computer , but it is just that with this iMac i have now , i have no more space on it to even upgrade to OS X, and i am afraid that if buy the iMac that in 5 years or so i will have the same problem that i have now or perhaps another problem such as slow processor etc. . If i were to buy the PowerMac then it would most probably last ALOT longer.

Oh another question will the PPC 970 cost more than the current G4?

applemacdude
May 15, 2003, 08:17 PM
if you want your computer to be not so outdated in a couple of years wait for the 970...or a 970 imac..

bbarnhart
May 15, 2003, 09:56 PM
I had the same dilemma a few months ago. I went with the PowerMac. Main reason was it was upgradeable and the iMac was not (I like to keep my machines a long, long time). Also, I figured my very young children could use it in a few years and I could get something else. They would be less apt to break the CRT monitor than the LCD.

Sun Baked
May 16, 2003, 11:37 AM
:confused:

Hmmm...

I don't see my reply here, so there must be at least one OTHER duplicate thread. :rolleyes:

or the Mods deleted my post. ;)

wdlove
May 16, 2003, 11:43 AM
I would most certainly agree that you should wait for the 970! If money is not an issue get the Power Mac with the 23" Cinema Display! Then you will have great expandibilty, and able to enjoy DVD's! ;)

MacFan25
May 16, 2003, 07:29 PM
If you are going to get a PowerMac, then I would definitley wait for the 970. If you were to buy a 970 PowerMac, I think it would last you a long time.

eyelikeart
May 17, 2003, 03:01 AM
I moved this thread earlier yesterday...

refer to it in the Hardware Discussion... :rolleyes: