PDA

View Full Version : Reseller Problems....Please Help

maracz
May 15, 2003, 09:28 PM
I am having some problems with a reseller. I think that they might have screwed me over a bit. Although I have no idea wether I should complain or not, perhaps I am the person who did something wrong. I have the folowing three inqueries/suspisions which I would be to get comments on.

1. I bought a computer from the reseller a few months ago on an Apple loan. A week ago I went to trade up. The cost of my new iBook was my old eMac and some money. I had my bank card with me and payed using that. Before I did I asked if there was any discount for paying in cash (I could have ran accross the street to the bank if so). The salesperson told me no. But when I looked at the inoice there was a section on the total which said "Cash Discount=$0". Do resellers normally give cash discounts when you trade up or switch computers when the original computer is on Apple loan? If so than I will complain to the reseller about it.

2. Like mentioned I went a week and a half ago to trade my eMac for an iBook. They told me that the iBooks are not in, but are coming on Monday and I can pay now. I gave them my eMac and an extra $250. However the iBook didn't arrive Monday, it arrived Tuesday, the day that the new eMacs came out. They told me that the value of mine had dropepd and said that I could either take my computer and my money back or add an extra $100. I added an extra hundred dollars. What concerns me is that I was already given an invoice the first time I cam and traded my computer and $250 for the iBook. The invoice was not signed, and looks more like a fancy receipt than a contract, the only writing by hand is the salespersons writing that I paid partly in cash and partly by bank card. But still should that make a difference? There was no fine print on the invoice except for where it said "eMac will need to be inspected before iBook can be picked up". Do you think that this voids the invoice as a contract? Could they just have said soemthing like "it's dirty" or "it's not running well" if they wanted to and get out of the "contract"? Or was refusing to give me the computer even though I had an invoice unethical of them (even though it says that an inspection of my computer will be done)?

3. This one I am least sure of and it's a wildshot that I would not even make a thread over but thought I'd mention it anyways since I'm already making a thread about reseller problems. I was sold a different system from them in February. An iBook 700 (which I later traded for the eMac which I later traded for the 800 iBook I have now). The store was out oif iBooks at the time but said that I could have the demo one. They told me it was only there for three days. However, when I called Apple Support (on an unrelated issue) for the first time they told me that my model was purchased in November and not February. I got the reseller to call and tell them that it was bought in February but I am left wondering wether or not they may have actually sold me a 2+ month computer. Although November is when the new iBooks came out, so it might have just been recorded as being bought because the reseller bought it from Apple. What do you think? Most likely an error in the system/mistake made by an employee or was I tricked?

Thanks alot for your help!

gbojim
May 15, 2003, 09:40 PM
Not sure about 1 and 3, but in the case of point 2 - a deal is a deal. You and the reseller agreed on the conditions, you made payment and they issued you a receipt. From what you said, I believe the only way they could back out is if your eMac was damaged.

I would go and ask for the $100 back. If they say no, talk to the Chamber of Commerce or Better Business Bureau.

alxths
May 15, 2003, 11:09 PM
For the first one, cash discounts can be more accuratly described as credit card fees. Generally, the store will raise the price around 2% or so for credit card users, to cover their fees; the cash/debit discount is just the regular price of the product. So, you running across the street to get cash wouldn't have made a difference if you were paying with debit; if there was any sort of non-credit card user discount, you would have gotten it with your debit card.... Which doesn't really answer your question, since he still could have been lying ot you; but I think clarifies things a bit.

The second one, yeah you definately should not have paid that extra $100. What that guy did is a sales technique called low-balling. It might be a bit of a pain to get the money back though.

And as far as the third goes: would the store even classify the ibook as a purchase if they put it on demo? At the retail store I work at, when demoing a product we dont do any sort of mock sale on it; we just open the box. There's a chance your ibook may have been sold, returned and then demoed--all in November I'm afraid.

menoinjun
May 15, 2003, 11:30 PM
Why again do you do business with these people?

Maybe you should keep a computer for more than just a couple of months, or find a dealer that trades in and is honest at the same time.

This all sounds very shady.

melchior
May 15, 2003, 11:49 PM
well, first of all you already had a thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26438&highlight=emac+ibook+trade) on this, didn't you? :D
but that's cool, this is slightly different...

my only thought is, they don't sound like an authorised reseller to me... makes them sound like a second-hand dealer... resellers don't 'buy' computers from apple....

i don't the 'cash' discount is anything. it's probably just part of their POS system they don't use. if they really preferred cash, and most dodgy places do in my experience, then they would have asked for it. this is actually good points to them, in my opinion anyway. one of the ways to tell cheap resellers from dodgy resellers is if they accept credit cards or not. there is some security there.

i think you got scammed on point number 2 and you'd have to fight a fair way to get anything on it though. most would give up. it's a personal thing though.

point number 3 makes them sound dodgy again. like i said. but not necessarily a terrible thing has happened here...

my perspective. just some notes. ya know. nothing special... :p