Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
I ahve a theory/some crit. for Bootcamp under Leopard...

Firstly, restarting your sysyem every time ever kinda sucks for anyone and it often deters me from playing games because of that. So, why not have both OSes boot at the same time, windows can boot in the background... Then, when you want to use bootcamp, all you do is log out. HAve OSX go into a no-resources state and have windows wake up from a previous"no-resources" state.

Basically both OSes are up at the same time but either one or the other is in "hibernate..." mode, it would provide faster switch times and allow people to interchange OSes quickly with full graphics and hardware support.

Hows it sound? Ideas?

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
I have no idea about the resources that could be used by windows/OS X in "no-resources" mode. We would also need to get maximum boot times and max performance while in either OS.

OwlsAndApples

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
UK
This does sound a good idea...is it possible that one day there could be a complete return to solid state memory (no need for a HD) and RAM will never need to be talked of again?:)

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
that is the problem at hand. how to get both OSs to boot in the shortest (or shall i say a minimal amount of time) and have one not use any (or low) resources. Anybody out there want to take a stab at that?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
This does sound a good idea...is it possible that one day there could be a complete return to solid state memory (no need for a HD) and RAM will never need to be talked of again?:)

Slight diversion, where abouts in Herts are you.

HITs idea has been tossed around quite a bit. Could it be one of the secret features, possibly. Will it be, in my opinion, no.

Rich

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
@OwlsandApples. There was once a time of complete solid state!? Well Hard disks are soon coming with NAND for portions of the OS. Is it true that NAND would mean no need for RAM!

We need some 1337 programmers to do something...

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
While it might not be fast it could be fasterthan the current solution, also... Will robson be built into HD's so people can just do a simple upgrade or is it a mobo thing?

OwlsAndApples

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
UK
@OwlsandApples. There was once a time of complete solid state!? Well Hard disks are soon coming with NAND for portions of the OS. Is it true that NAND would mean no need for RAM!

Ermmm...the '1 laptop per child' or '$100 laptop' is completely solid state, that's all I can think of.:p

Slight diversion, where abouts in Herts are you.

Rich

BTW, St Albania. :rolleyes:

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
balamw said:
As I understand it Robson is one of the many features expected to hit with the Santa Rosa chipset, a.k.a. Centrino Pro. i.e. on the mobo.

B

:p I heard somewhere that certain HD manufacturers want to put Solid State in HD's to be compatible with robson in the future, that would be nice...

How much storage space would be needed to install OSX startup on NAND flash?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.