PDA

View Full Version : Apple Seeds Another Mac OS X 10.4.9 (8P2120)

MacRumors
Jan 17, 2007, 02:20 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has seeded another version of Mac OS X 10.4.9 to developers today. The releases appear to be accelerating, typically indicating the product may be near release.

Apple seeded the 8P2117 build during Macworld Expo just last week, and has now released 8P2120 to developers today.

The new seed has a 40+ laundry list of fixes and under "Known Issues" it lists "None".

The last update (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/09/20060929143457.shtml) (10.4.8) to Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) was released on September 29th, 2006.

pthurst
Jan 17, 2007, 02:23 PM
How long before Leopard? Thats what I'd like to know

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 17, 2007, 02:23 PM
Looking forward to it... maybe this will shake out some of the little oddities while we're waiting for Leopard... :)

Jesus
Jan 17, 2007, 02:24 PM
I know there will be the imortal arguement about the mathematic significance, or lack thereof of the final "." but still leopard must be close.

shawnce
Jan 17, 2007, 02:31 PM
How long before Leopard? Thats what I'd like to know Still spring... a few months away or more away.

MacsRgr8
Jan 17, 2007, 02:33 PM
Still spring... a few months away or more away.

Isn't that more like "back to spring" (instead of "still spring")?

I though the site said "mid 2007" a few days ago.... I'm pretty sure. And before that it was spring 2007.... :confused:

Or have I been on drugs or something...

EDIT: the last Leopard Beta Build (9A321 IIRC) has been seeded quite some time ago....
Judging by the fact that the 10.4.9 Beta seeds are getting very frequent, and thus the real release is imminent..... I would imagine a (very) late spring release of Leopard, i.e. June (technically spring and mid-2007, haha)

Fiveos22
Jan 17, 2007, 02:37 PM
No known issues? Sign me up! Hasn't mankind been looking for the perfect operating system for quite some time?

hob
Or have I been on drugs or something...

Dude, sweet, etc.

Is there a list of features/fixes?

Rocketman
What I find interesting is the litany of alleged developer folks who posted during MWSF that 10.5 was no where near ready due to many bugs still.

Now this release with no known issues.

Have the developers taken the role of producing misinformation for Apple on rumor sites?

Are there 10.5 features that are not even in the wide developer release?

I posted quite some time ago I expected Apple to surprise the market with a 10.5 release before the stated Spring/March 2007 date but just after Vista has fully been distributed so they (Microsoft) cannot put the genie back in the bottle after seeing whatever Apple displays.

Rocketman

:confused:

Morris
Jan 17, 2007, 02:39 PM
Still spring... a few months away or more away.
Yep, might just as well be June. Five months is a lot so I expect a final 10.4 update after this one just as Apple did around the Tiger introduction.

failsafe1
Jan 17, 2007, 02:39 PM
love me some updates even if 10.5 is only months away. I always convince myself this update will solve all my problems.

shelterpaw
Jan 17, 2007, 02:40 PM
I haven't heard any Rumors on the secret features of Leoopard. Has anyone heard of any secret features? ;)

Looking forward to 10.4.9.

FreeState
Jan 17, 2007, 02:46 PM
What I find interesting is the litany of alleged developer folks who posted during MWSF that 10.5 was no where near ready due to many bugs still.

Um this it 10.4.9 not 10.5

syklee26
Jan 17, 2007, 02:49 PM
when is the next major annual mac event?

BuzWeaver
Jan 17, 2007, 02:52 PM
Sorting in Safari? Wohoooooo:cool:

MacsRgr8
Jan 17, 2007, 02:53 PM
I haven't heard any Rumors on the secret features of Leoopard. Has anyone heard of any secret features? ;)

Looking forward to 10.4.9.

Me 2... should be the most stable version of Tiger ;)

I could have sworn that Steve would have shown one or two of those "super secret features" @ MWSF '07.... But now Leopard feels further away than before. No new demo's, no dev builds...

Could this mean Apple really is working on an entirely new GUI...? Just like the Mac OS X DP2 to DP3 move? You know: DP2 was "rhapsody", and DP3 got Aqua!!
Leave some time in between, and Steve could demo the new Leopard GUI at a developer conference orso.

TheSpaz
Jan 17, 2007, 02:57 PM
Just as we get an OS with NO bugs... that's when they'll release 10.5 with a ton of bugs. That's always fun to look forward to.

psychofreak
Jan 17, 2007, 02:58 PM
when is the next major annual mac event?

WWDC, ages away. But...a lot of people are hoping for a Showtime event soon for iWork+iLife07, possibly a widescreen/beatles branded ipod, and hopefully Leopard features...

Squonk
Jan 17, 2007, 02:59 PM
Aren't there often new software releases when there are new systems as well? Perhaps this will coincide with quad-core Mac Pro release? :confused:

psychofreak
Jan 17, 2007, 03:01 PM
Aren't there often new software releases when there are new systems as well? Perhaps this will coincide with quad-core Mac Pro release? :confused:

There is a quad-core MP, I think you mean octo-core!

MacsRgr8
Jan 17, 2007, 03:07 PM

Or a Dual Quad Core, and not a Dual Dual Core... ;)

Squonk
Jan 17, 2007, 03:07 PM

The Apple Store lists the Mac Pro as having two (2.0, 2.66 or 3.0) Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors. I'm talking about a machine with two Quad-Core processors...

MacNut
Jan 17, 2007, 03:18 PM
If this is the last update then 10.5 might be out by July.

dernhelm
Jan 17, 2007, 03:22 PM
I know there will be the imortal arguement about the mathematic significance, or lack thereof of the final "." but still leopard must be close.

Yeah, gotta love the "10.4.9 must be the final release since the next number would be 10.5 argument."

Leopard may not appear before the end of March. If that is the case, there could easily be a 10.4.10. Before (or even after) it is released.

andiwm2003
Jan 17, 2007, 03:22 PM
:confused: What I find interesting is the litany of alleged developer folks who posted during MWSF that 10.5 was no where near ready due to many bugs still.

Have the developers taken the role of producing misinformation for Apple on rumor sites?

Are there 10.5 features that are not even in the wide developer release?

I posted quite some time ago I expected Apple to surprise the market with a 10.5 release before the stated Spring/March 2007 date but just after Vista has fully been distributed so they (Microsoft) cannot put the genie back in the bottle after seeing whatever Apple displays.

Rocketman

how have statements about 10.5 being not ready yet anything to do with 10.4.9 being without known bugs.

i thought that different people develop 10.5 and 10.4.9. :confused:

psychofreak
Jan 17, 2007, 03:23 PM
Yeah, gotta love the "10.4.9 must be the final release since the next number would be 10.5 argument."

Leopard may not appear before the end of March. If that is the case, there could easily be a 10.4.10. Before (or even after) it is released.

Who cares when leopard is released for this issue...there have been updates to 10.3 since tiger was released...

obeygiant
Jan 17, 2007, 03:27 PM
dumb question: Can I upgrade a Ti powerbook with Panther to Leopard when it comes out?

xUKHCx
Jan 17, 2007, 03:29 PM
How long before Leopard? Thats what I'd like to know

With no new info at macworld, it seems like they have lost the momentum around Leopard. I expect there to be a special event announcing iLife/iWork/something else (updated express etc) with previews of Leopard, then the momentum will really kick in.

Or they could just keep it super quiet and just have a big overview on release.

I havent come across any bugs (that i am aware of) along my way through 10.4.0 to 10.4.8. Anyway bring on 10.4.9 (and any future updates to Tiger), will ease those people who wont jump on the 10.5 bandwagon.

I will preorder Leopard as soon as i can.

I spent ages writing this (watching Newcastle being destroyed by Birmingham) so i assume other people have already written what i have said, could just delete it without posting it but i wont.

psychofreak
Jan 17, 2007, 03:31 PM
dumb question: Can I upgrade a Ti powerbook with Panther to Leopard when it comes out?

Yes...almost certainly.

People expect G3 iBooks to work with leopard...so your TiBook should be fine. I would wait a few days after 10.5 comes out for the experiences of others to help your decision to upgrade...

phillipjfry
Jan 17, 2007, 03:32 PM
Who cares when leopard is released for this issue...there have been updates to 10.3 since tiger was released...

I was going to say the same thing along these lines. Just cause Leopard comes out, doesn't mean releases for .4 will still release. Gives people the option of upgrading to Leopard if they want to or just stick with Tiger, Panther, etc. Unlike M$ killing 98* support after so many years :-P

iMeowbot
Jan 17, 2007, 03:32 PM
Isn't that more like "back to spring" (instead of "still spring")?

I though the site said "mid 2007" a few days ago.... I'm pretty sure. And before that it was spring 2007.... :confused:

Not this again. It still says "spring 2007" on the US site, because it will be spring in the US. The language was adjusted to reflect geography on other Apple sites, because it won't be spring everywhere.

WWDC will be in June. That's spring in the north (summer begins the 21st of June) and mid-year worldwide.

I posted quite some time ago I expected Apple to surprise the market with a 10.5 release before the stated Spring/March 2007 date
When did Apple say that Leopard would appear in March ?

psychofreak
Jan 17, 2007, 03:34 PM
I was going to say the same thing along these lines. Just cause Leopard comes out, doesn't mean releases for .4 will still release. Gives people the option of upgrading to Leopard if they want to or just stick with Tiger, Panther, etc. Unlike M$ killing 98* support after so many years :-P

Difference is that '98 machines suck now, they're barely useable, while panther is still a great OS...

liberty4all
Jan 17, 2007, 04:08 PM
So are they finally going to add the ability for Safari to open on launch multiple bookmarks and remember them on quit ala Firefox?!

What's taking Apple so long to implement this basic feature?

psychofreak
Jan 17, 2007, 04:10 PM
So are they finally going to add the ability for Safari to open on launch multiple bookmarks and remember them on quit ala Firefox?!

What's taking Apple so long to implement this basic feature?

Don't forget spellcheck...Safari 3.0 will be awesome!

richard4339
Jan 17, 2007, 04:14 PM
One thing I've noticed is that some spots on the Apple website now state that Leopard will be out by Spring of 2007 (for example, the Bootcamp download page), which to me would mean before March 22, 2007.

I'm with some of the other posters who think it'll be released shortly after Vista, or maybe even a day or so before, to take some of the Vista fanfare away.

Peace
Jan 17, 2007, 04:19 PM
Apple may very well be hiding features from developers but from my standpoint Leopard is still in the Alpha phase.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 17, 2007, 04:19 PM
Don't forget spellcheck...Safari 3.0 will be awesome!Spell checking has been in Safari a long, long time... :confused:

Morris
Jan 17, 2007, 04:23 PM
One thing I've noticed is that most spots on the Apple website now state that Leopard will be out by Spring of 2007, which to me would mean before March 22, 2007.

I'm with the other posters who think it'll be released shortly after Vista, or maybe even a day or so before, to take some of the Vista fanfare away.

You don't take anything away from the desktop OS with a 90% market share by releasing during or just before its long awaited and much talked about release. It would simply get crushed. Remember, Leopard is a big deal for the Mac community, to the general IT community or home/office user it is near to irrelevant.

Best time would be at least one (maybe two) months after Vista. Reviews of Vista will probably be "not so good", uptake may be behind predictions, word of mouth says: "disappointing", people complain about incompatible hardware or missing drivers etc. etc.
That is the time to show the alternative...

xUKHCx
Jan 17, 2007, 04:25 PM
Don't forget spellcheck...Safari 3.0 will be awesome!

Safari spell checks for me

One thing I've noticed is that some spots on the Apple website now state that Leopard will be out by Spring of 2007 (for example, the Bootcamp download page), which to me would mean before March 22, 2007.

What? Spring is March, April, May.

Apple may very well be hiding features from developers but from my standpoint Leopard is still in the Alpha phase.

Could the internal builds be much further ahead then the external ones.

Killyp
Jan 17, 2007, 05:29 PM
Safari spell checks for me

Same here, that's part of the main reason I use Safari (plus it's so simple).

captoats85
Jan 17, 2007, 06:52 PM
Will we see a 10.4.10 or will 10.4.9 be it?

Pyrix
Jan 17, 2007, 07:38 PM
You don't take anything away from the desktop OS with a 90% market share by releasing during or just before its long awaited and much talked about release. It would simply get crushed. Remember, Leopard is a big deal for the Mac community, to the general IT community or home/office user it is near to irrelevant.

When the iPhone came out I was suprised at the media interest - certainly in the UK it was in the headline news on most channels. I suspect that with the right showmanship Apple could get a lot of fanfare about Leopard IF the changes are big enough to warrant it.

RedTomato
Jan 17, 2007, 07:50 PM

God, I hope we get a 10.4.10, just so that for a few days, just a few days, we have an end to stupid posts saying x.y.9 must be followed by x.(y+1).0

Then people will forget, and we'll see these posts again for 10.5.9.

seashellz2
Jan 17, 2007, 09:51 PM
10.5 has a lot aof bugs to be worked out

Woo hoo! Maybe we'll get a 10.4.10 update-just to confound the folks who think it will be 10.4.9b or something silly like that.:eek:

bousozoku
Jan 17, 2007, 10:08 PM
What? Spring is March, April, May.

March 22 - June 21 in the northern hemisphere.

lOUDsCREAMEr
Jan 18, 2007, 06:55 AM
March 22 - June 21 in the northern hemisphere.

did steve say spring of n hemisphere? ;)

Morris
Jan 18, 2007, 07:28 AM
When the iPhone came out I was suprised at the media interest - certainly in the UK it was in the headline news on most channels. I suspect that with the right showmanship Apple could get a lot of fanfare about Leopard IF the changes are big enough to warrant it.

True, but Apples' position in the gadget market is completely different from its position in the OS market. Apple is a small underdog on the OS market. Leopard vs. Vista is like a new Sandisk XGK23* vs. the True Video iPod. No way Sandisk is going to steal Apples thunder by releasing the XGK23 at the same time as the True Video iPod, even if it is a better product.

* Just a made up product name

aLoC
Jan 18, 2007, 08:39 AM
Just as we get an OS with NO bugs... that's when they'll release 10.5 with a ton of bugs. That's always fun to look forward to.

Yep. If you want a 100% stable computer, then when Leopard comes out upgrade to Tiger. And so on, for each major release.

That way your computer always has installed a highly stable .8 or .9 version.

Evangelion
Jan 18, 2007, 08:57 AM

Well, you are not forced to upgrade to 10.5. And there are bugs in 10.4. Thousands upon thousands of bugs. There simply is no software (apart from bunch of "Hello World!"'s) that have zero bugs.

If you want bugless software, be prepared for a long wait. a REALLY long wait.

DStaal
Jan 18, 2007, 09:13 AM
Yep. If you want a 100% stable computer, then when Leopard comes out upgrade to Tiger. And so on, for each major release.

That way your computer always has installed a highly stable .8 or .9 version.
That is not how to get a stable computer. There is one, and only one, way to guarantee a stable computer: You see that power cord on the back? Unplug it. Keep it that way. Do not attepmt to turn on or connect that computer to anything under any circumstances.

Your computer is now in a stable condition, pending the entropy-induced decay of the componets.

JFreak
Jan 18, 2007, 10:20 AM
People expect G3 iBooks to work with leopard

I predict G3 support will be dropped. G4 will be fine, that's for sure.

Probably. 3 months between minor releases would mean 10.4.10 is due 2007/05 the latest. Leopard comes out in "spring 2007" which we don't know what it means.

The only way 10.4.9 would be the last Tiger release is that Apple has already decided so and the 10.4.9 appears to be "perfect".

MarkCollette
Jan 18, 2007, 07:53 PM
I doubt that most G3 systems have enough RAM to run 10.5 anyway.

aprilfools
Jan 18, 2007, 11:03 PM
My Safari is feeling "Snappier" just thinking about 10.4.9
:0

Stridder44
Jan 18, 2007, 11:41 PM
God, I hope we get a 10.4.10, just so that for a few days, just a few days, we have an end to stupid posts saying x.y.9 must be followed by x.(y+1).0

Then people will forget, and we'll see these posts again for 10.5.9.

I know I'm waiting for some nerd/fanatic to post something about "*snort* but guys there can't be a 10.4.10 thats unpossible because the polar dynamics disturb the varying frequencies of space blah blah" so we can destroy him for bring it up again.

But yeah, Tiger has treated me very well so far. No problems to speak of *knock on wood* so ya, bring on 10.4.9!

gnasher729
Jan 19, 2007, 05:22 PM
That is not how to get a stable computer. There is one, and only one, way to guarantee a stable computer: You see that power cord on the back? Unplug it. Keep it that way. Do not attepmt to turn on or connect that computer to anything under any circumstances.

Your computer is now in a stable condition, pending the entropy-induced decay of the componets.

Good advice. My MacBook runs very stable now, with the power cable unplugged. :D

RedTomato
Jan 19, 2007, 05:38 PM
I doubt that most G3 systems have enough RAM to run 10.5 anyway.

Hmm. My B+W G3 350mhz has 512MB and runs 10.4.8. It can run bittorrent and mail.app fine, tho it can't do much else at the same time. Runs Firefox well (if everything else is closed) tho it struggles badly with java / flash sites.

Would probably be fine with reasonably heavy use of MS Office, and nothing else running, tho I've not tried that.

For day to day use, not really useable as everything slows down too much (see my comment above about needing a gig of RAM) but it makes a fine mail gateway and media server, and sits in the attic doing its own thing.

Would probably be pretty much the same with 10.5 i.e. it would RUN it and be able to do unattended tasks, but not much realtime / interactive work.

Eidorian
Jan 19, 2007, 06:14 PM
RAM appears to be a big factor for running 10.4 on an older machine. The video card is next.

I hope it fixes my Bluetooth headset. Short of reinstalling OS X I can't get it to work anymore.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 19, 2007, 06:38 PM
Runs Firefox well (if everything else is closed) tho it struggles badly with java / flash sites.Disable Java (not JavaScript) in preferences -> content and run set Adblock Plus or FlashGot to get rid of all *ad*.swf* and Firefox should be flying...

Typing this on my old iBook G4@800 with 256 MB RAM, running Firefox 2.0.0.1 under Mac OS X 10.4.8, because my MacBook is busy with a long overdue SuperDuper! session.

kalisphoenix
Jan 19, 2007, 06:41 PM
I know I'm waiting for some nerd/fanatic to post something about "*snort* but guys there can't be a 10.4.10 thats unpossible because the polar dynamics disturb the varying frequencies of space blah blah" so we can destroy him for bring it up again.

But yeah, Tiger has treated me very well so far. No problems to speak of *knock on wood* so ya, bring on 10.4.9!

Apple is being very careful with 10.4.9 because they intend to stop there... just so this little debate can continue unabated until 10.9.9 -- at which point Nyarlathotep will come creeping in from the Outer Chaos and pull Steve Jobs screaming into the sky.

RedTomato
Jan 19, 2007, 07:08 PM
Disable Java (not JavaScript) in preferences -> content and run set Adblock Plus or FlashGot to get rid of all *ad*.swf* and Firefox should be flying...

I already do this on my 1.5ghz powerbook - makes a large difference to Firefox's speed, as I'm one of these people with 10-20 tabs open at the same time. It's embarrassing how easily some light websurfing can bring Apple's highest end laptop hardware to its knees. (Well, it was top-of-the-range when I brought it not all that long ago.)

Doesn't bother me on the G3 powermac as I almost never use it for internet browsing. Thanks for pointing out the tip to other readers tho.

Reverend Wally
Jan 19, 2007, 07:10 PM
Apple is being very careful with 10.4.9 because they intend to stop there... just so this little debate can continue unabated until 10.9.9 -- at which point Nyarlathotep will come creeping in from the Outer Chaos and pull Steve Jobs screaming into the sky.

Ahh,

I see we have a Lovecraft fan.

:D

Trivia for you based on research into the Antedeluvian Period (Before the flood of Noah's time)

Lovecraft may have actually been basing his evil characterizations, inspired by some of the Nephalim, who some studies say were the elder gods, actually being, in essence, the fallen angels cast from the presence of God during the rebellion of Lucifer.

LeoNobilis
Jan 19, 2007, 08:28 PM
Me 2... should be the most stable version of Tiger ;)

I could have sworn that Steve would have shown one or two of those "super secret features" @ MWSF '07.... But now Leopard feels further away than before. No new demo's, no dev builds...

Could this mean Apple really is working on an entirely new GUI...? Just like the Mac OS X DP2 to DP3 move? You know: DP2 was "rhapsody", and DP3 got Aqua!!
Leave some time in between, and Steve could demo the new Leopard GUI at a developer conference orso.

I surmise, it must have to do with the unfortunate dismissal of Avie Tevanian. They never - since the first iteration of the OS X, if i recall correctly - have detained the release of a major Operating System update for so long.
It impresses as particularly unfair toward Tevanian that he never managed to receive the deserved credit from the Macintosh community. In my view, he's been as fundamental in the excellence of our beloved OS, as Jonathan Ive - in that of the GUI and the hardware.

bousozoku
Jan 19, 2007, 09:07 PM
I surmise, it must have to do with the unfortunate dismissal of Avie Tevanian. They never - since the first iteration of the OS X, if i recall correctly - have detained the release of a major Operating System update for so long.
It impresses as particularly unfair toward Tevanian that he never managed to receive the deserved credit from the Macintosh community. In my view, he's been as fundamental in the excellence of our beloved OS, as Jonathan Ive - in that of the GUI and the hardware.

Tiger and later releases were all supposed to be on a slower schedule. This was handed down by Tevanian apparently.

It still seems to me that they wanted to do major surgery to remove Mach from Mac OS X and he had a temper tantrum and left.