PDA

View Full Version : Has Apple bitten off more than it can chew?

MacBytes
Jan 17, 2007, 02:45 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Has Apple bitten off more than it can chew? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070117154517)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Nym
Jan 18, 2007, 04:22 AM
Am I the only one that is getting tired of this iPhone "bla bla bla" and speculation all the time?

Nowadays it feels "fashion" to bash Apple, like one day it used to be "fashion" to do the opposite, very strange :)

And the guy from M$ is going to invest in the screen cleaning market? Really... then "please sir, make sure you buy some brown tissues too to match the turd you have as an MP3 player", ahahah.
But don't throw those tissues away already, they may come in handy when Vista's security holes start popping up like carrots, you can use them while you cry :D

pth-webdev
Jan 18, 2007, 05:33 AM
Ok, I understand that much of the article is relevant only to the intended audience, but some of the remarks are more general. In particular:
Will New Zealand buyers be prepared to pay about $900 for the convenience of merging their iPod and cellphone into a single device, particularly if the merged device in question isn't pocket friendly?
The iPod isn't just a product. It is a platform and it has created a whole buzzing ecosystem of third-party add-ons.

It means that it will immediately integrate with any car that is iPod-ready (although it probably won't allow hands-free calls immediately), any iPod-boombox and many of the makers of sleeves and other types of protection now know about the dimensions and, due to this "early" announcement, will have their products ready by the time the iPhone ships.

We don't know what will happen. The shape and form the iPone is announced in could be just one form-factor and others may follow. But Apple has to start somewhere and, though many won't be buying this product because of what the comments are about, they will want to buy it anyway. And a lot of people will be buying the iPhone.

pth-webdev
Jan 18, 2007, 05:42 AM
Am I the only one that is getting tired of this iPhone "bla bla bla" and speculation all the time?

Nowadays it feels "fashion" to bash Apple, like one day it used to be "fashion" to do the opposite, very strange :

Personally, I am not yet tired of reading all the comments. Some articles mention issues that I was unaware of. I usually don't agree with the final conclusion, but at least the picture gets more complete with every article.

Also, authors show a bit of themselves while bashing. I find that interesting.

As a Macintosh user I find myself surrounded by people who only know about it from all the shallow remarks and namecalling and I have to deal with that a lot. Some make their remarks jokingly. Others are more harsh. But I know the comments and I can respond to the comment itself and ignore the tone.
I will probably be using the iPhone in the future. I will get the same thing all over again. So, I'd like to know all the misconceptions.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 18, 2007, 05:49 AM
It doesn't really matter.

Even if the iPhone fails miserable (which I don't think it will) Apple has cash in hand, and can take the loss without going bankrupt or even having to get into debt, he..ck they probably won't even go into the red; if those latest profit numbers persists (and I don't see why they shouldn't, at least short term) they can literally throw a way several million iPhones next year and still stay in black over all (if they write off the R&D over time).

In short: Apple is stinking rich at the moment and can afford a failure or two, if necessary... :)

SeanMcg
Jan 18, 2007, 12:57 PM
If there are any Aussies or Kiwis reading this, I'd like to challenge one of the writer's assertions. He says that NZ is not a high-priority for Apple, as they JUST got the iTunes Store. Now I realize that NZ is not the most populous country :) , so I don't doubt that it wasn't in Apple's Top 5. However, I thought that both Australia and New Zealand had copyright laws, or associations like the US's RIAA, that were WAAAAAY more restrictive than other countries, and the lawyers had to resolve that first.

Can anyone from those countries comment on this situation?