PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) in Spring 2007 and iLife Soon?

MacRumors
Jan 17, 2007, 05:07 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple just completed the conference call for their financial results from Q1 2007. As reported (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070117163713.shtml) Apple posted $1 Billion in profit. A few interesting comments were made during the question and answer section that followed.

First of all, despite concerns about Apple's silence about Leopard may mean that they are behind on it, Apple execs confirmed that they are still planning on shipping Leopard in "Spring 2007":

Q: Didn't get much on Leopard at Macworld. Anything to add? A: Continue to plan to ship Leopard in the Spring. We've got a lot of people working on it.

Second, and perhaps more revealing is that when questioned about when iLife would be updated, they implied it would be very soon:

Q: Is iLife still a January refresh time schedule? A: We don't announce future products, but... stay tuned.

Peace
Jan 17, 2007, 05:09 PM
All is fine in AppleLand..

Except for that fed thing.:rolleyes:

VanMac
Jan 17, 2007, 05:10 PM
iLife update will be nice.

Looking forward more to OSX upgrade.

pthurst
Jan 17, 2007, 05:12 PM
hmmmm...

I won't hold my breath for Leopard but iLife may make it for March i guess...

gugy
Jan 17, 2007, 05:14 PM
I think iLife and iWork will be update at the same time Leopard comes in.
I heard some rumors that they are connect in some way. So the new versions will work under Leopard.

Peace
Jan 17, 2007, 05:16 PM
If the Beatles rumors are true about Feb 4th I can see iLife 07' somehow intertwined in that media blitz.

So I'm guessing iLife 07" in February.With Leopard getting out in March.

MacsRgr8
Jan 17, 2007, 05:16 PM
yes!

I am so looking forward to Leopard, iLife '07 and iWork '07....

We've had the Apple non-Computer stuff.... now give us the Apple-Computer stuff!

thejadedmonkey
Jan 17, 2007, 05:21 PM
I guess this will shut up all the conspiracy theorists on digg... there goes my plans of getting everything at once... iLife, iWork, Lepoard, and Duke Nukem Forever:rolleyes:

sfwalter
Jan 17, 2007, 05:33 PM
Between now and June lets hope Mac wares will shine!

slb
Jan 17, 2007, 05:34 PM
It would be nice if iLife was bundled into Leopard as part of its included set of apps. I'd even pay a higher price for OS X, like $150 to $160. I wonder if this will be necessary someday as Microsoft continues to include these kinds of apps in Vista to compete.

jonharris200
Jan 17, 2007, 05:36 PM
I wonder if the supposed Spring timing for the Leopard launch is actually a smokescreen. Vista's consumer launch this month seems too good a PR opportunity to miss! :D

Rocketman
Jan 17, 2007, 05:37 PM
Between now and June lets hope Mac wares will shine!

Guaranteed.

Rocketman

SiliconAddict
Jan 17, 2007, 05:40 PM
*looks at his watch* Still waiting on those "Top secret" features Apple. :rolleyes:

mjstew33
Jan 17, 2007, 05:44 PM
I agree; there will be an Apple event VERY soon.

Mark my words.

AnDi86
Jan 17, 2007, 05:46 PM

Mark my words.

Roll on that day

EricNau
Jan 17, 2007, 05:47 PM
I'm expecting we'll see the release of iLife & iWork, the "super secret features" of Leopard, and Leopard's final release date at the next event (hopefully in a few weeks).

elskeptico
Jan 17, 2007, 05:48 PM
I seem to remember a time when Apple released or announced something new every other Monday. Does anyone else remember that?

January 22nd feels like a new release date, but why do people keep saying there will be an event? They just had Macworld, I don't see another whole event happening any time soon.

noservice2001
Jan 17, 2007, 05:50 PM
waiting is fun....

Data
Jan 17, 2007, 05:58 PM
It would be nice if iLife was bundled into Leopard as part of its included set of apps. I'd even pay a higher price for OS X, like $150 to $160. I wonder if this will be necessary someday as Microsoft continues to include these kinds of apps in Vista to compete.

I think i remember steve saying just that at the last wwdc, that Leopard would be ALL IN ONE , so that the iLife packadge would be a part of the OS, i think he says that right t the start of the keynote even ;-).

AnDi86
Jan 17, 2007, 06:00 PM
waiting is fun....

no it really isnt... the want for leopard and a mbp grows even bigger

danielwsmithee
Jan 17, 2007, 06:01 PM
I don't think his comments about iLife are all that revealing. It could just mean that we will know soon. "Stay tuned" to me means that we will know soon not necessarily that iLife will be shipping soon. My guess is that iLife and iWork will both require some of the new features in Leopard. Apple will schedule a special "one more thing" media event for TUESDAY January 30th the same day as the Vista consumer launch. They will demo the new features in Leopard, iLife, and iWork, and announce the ship dates in March. They will probably also introduce one more thing shipping that day.

indiekiduk
Jan 17, 2007, 06:02 PM
Conference call with who?

wtfk
Jan 17, 2007, 06:05 PM
"...but stay tuned..."

Ever heard of this thing called the iPhone? I'd like one today please, since it's released and all.

satzzz
Jan 17, 2007, 06:05 PM
It must be soon, hope february.. Than I can buy some new macsuff for my birthday :D..
Also I hope they are going to release the octo mac pro soon..
After the disappointing macworld, I finally want to see some computer stuff..

MacG
Jan 17, 2007, 06:06 PM
I think i remember steve saying just that at the last wwdc, that Leopard would be ALL IN ONE , so that the iLife packadge would be a part of the OS, i think he says that right t the start of the keynote even ;-).

No he was talking about front row and photo booth. Those apps are free with new macs, but people with older macs don't have them and can't buy them.

mymacluvsme
Jan 17, 2007, 06:09 PM
"In the Spring". When is Spring? The answer is relative to where you are. In Kaleefourneea (that's California with an Austrian accent) Spring might be February or March. In the Northern states (Minn. or Mich.) Spring doesn't come until April or May.

But I assume that Apple is on Kaleefourneea time, eh? :D

xUKHCx
Jan 17, 2007, 06:09 PM
My guess is that iLife and iWork will both require some of the new features in Leopard..

Apple wouldn't do that because it really limits the market to which they can sell iLife and iWork.

If anything i think they will announce that you can buy iLife bundled with OS X.5 or you can buy it separately.

Or it is just taking longer than expected.

Rich

emptyCup
Jan 17, 2007, 06:12 PM
I won't hold my breath for Leopard but iLife may make it for March i guess...

Do you mean that a) you don't care about Leopard or b) you don't think it will be released in March or c) you don't think it will be released, as announced, before Spring ends in the middle of June?

Personally, I think there will be another event at which both Leopard and iLife '07 are released sometime after March (to push revenue into the second quarter).

digitalbiker
Jan 17, 2007, 06:13 PM
"In the Spring". When is Spring? The answer is relative to where you are. In Kaleefourneea (that's California with an Austrian accent) Spring might be February or March. In the Northern states (Minn. or Mich.) Spring doesn't come until April or May.

The last time SJ said "Spring" it turned out to be June 20th. One day before the first day of summer. So Spring 2007 could be anytime from March 22nd to June 20th.

Really no news here. I wish we would get some encouragement of a special event soon. I need my octo Mac Pro.

p0intblank
Jan 17, 2007, 06:20 PM
I want iLife '07 sooo bad! :(

pale9
Jan 17, 2007, 06:32 PM
history does tend to repeat itself. that why the hedge fund i work for continues to make alot of money....

my guess is that within the next couple of weeks apple will send out invitations to an event in a smaller venue (like last year), saying something to the effect of "Opps, we forgot to mention something at macworld...". jobs is a master of dosing hype. he will keep the pot bubbling by regularly feeding us some nice tasty treats. so, my guess is: next ilife and iwork 07, then quad core powermac, then leopard, video ipod. maybe some updated pro apps somewhere in-between all this before july. what comes then is pure speculation.

Chundles
Jan 17, 2007, 06:35 PM

Or down here where spring starts in September.... :D

I think we'll be waiting a bit longer than most expect for iLife/iWork. Time Machine integration is going to be a big part of the new apps and to ensure maximum compatibility they're going to have to wait till Leopard goes Gold Master and into manufacturing. I think we'll possibly be waiting till April for a big Leopard/iLife announcement. This could be the first time in a long time that an OSX update got an event announcement. The last two came out with no fanfare from Apple other than the announcements online.

Voltes V
Jan 17, 2007, 06:47 PM
iLife 06 is doing very well, who needs iLife 07?

Mtn Tamale
Jan 17, 2007, 06:59 PM
Nothing special shipping until after Vista is shipped for consumers and there is a lot of disappointment in the press.

February: Late in the month iLife and iWork announced and shipping
March: updated consumer mac lines
April: updated pro lines
May: Leopard
June: iPhone
July: WWDC
August/September: new Video iPod

That doses the hype out over every month into autumn, while not competing with hype over Vista, but capitalizing on Vista dismay.

gugy
Jan 17, 2007, 07:08 PM

Yeah, I was thinking about that. But the thing is, now if iPhone and everybody knowing how cool a widescreen iPod could be, I see a lot of people waiting until the same is on the market.
That's going to kill iPod sales (video iPod, not nano guys). So I can't see Apple waiting that long to anounce the widescreen iPod.

Peace
Jan 17, 2007, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about that. But the thing is, now if iPhone and everybody knowing how cool a widescreen iPod could be, I see a lot of people waiting until the same is on the market.
That's going to kill iPod sales (video iPod, not nano guys). So I can't see Apple waiting that long to anounce the widescreen iPod.

Won't kill the video iPod sales since the new widescreen one will replace the older one.

gugy
Jan 17, 2007, 07:16 PM
Won't kill the video iPod sales since the new widescreen one will replace the older one.

That's not what I meant.
It's going to kill the current video ipod (5g). the one you can buy now. Seriously, Would you buy one now and think that the new widescreen could show up at any moment?
I would wait.

daneoni
Jan 17, 2007, 07:36 PM
Hmmm, doesnt really say much, stay tuned could mean February or November. Quite surprised Leopard is looking to ACTUALLY ship in spring. I thought Apple had a habit of releasing stuff waay before deadlines.

Oh well...

cr2sh
Jan 17, 2007, 07:39 PM
stay tuned...

Anything thing this is foreshadowing to the addition of dvr functionality to the iLife suite?

spyderracer393
Jan 17, 2007, 07:39 PM
Apple wouldn't do that because it really limits the market to which they can sell iLife and iWork.

If anything i think they will announce that you can buy iLife bundled with OS X.5 or you can buy it separately.

Or it is just taking longer than expected.

Rich

Well, I can see them doing something where iWork and iLife will work with OS 10.4, but in order to get the full functionality, you need OS 10.5 -- kind of like with iWeb, in order to get 1-click functionality, you need .Mac - otherwise its a folder and manual, rather than automatic.

EagerDragon
Jan 17, 2007, 07:46 PM
Given the low estimate for this quater, I would guess that they do not plan to put anything new for sale (other than the tv and airport) any time soon. Otherwise their prediction would have been a little larger.

Don't expect the wide screen iPod until close to the iPhone release or shortly after.

I don't expect iLife or iWorks until much closer to Leopard release (prob June) or cuncurrently in June.

pilotError
Jan 17, 2007, 07:51 PM
I was thinking Fall release of a Video iPod, probably for next Christmas / Holiday season.

I would think it would have the same touch screen as the iPhone, but they want to wait to see how the iPhone does for a couple of quarters. I'm sure they don't want to run short on screen parts and have supply issues with both of their consumer products if the iPhone takes off. I would think that they would also want to bulk up the Movie / TV offerings to better position a Video Phone/iPod.

A May / June release of Leopard would probably make sense of their low projections for Q1. I don't think the Apple TV is going to be the next iPod in terms of sales.

twoodcc
Jan 17, 2007, 07:51 PM
iLife update will be nice.

Looking forward more to OSX upgrade.

yeah i agree.....iLife and iWork need to come soon me thinks......

really looking forward to Leopard.....hopefully the UI will be great!

balamw
Jan 17, 2007, 07:53 PM
Anything thing this is foreshadowing to the addition of dvr functionality to the iLife suite?

That seems like wishful thinking.

Nothing special shipping until after Vista is shipped for consumers and there is a lot of disappointment in the press.

February: Late in the month iLife and iWork announced and shipping
AppleTV and Airport Extreme ship
March: updated consumer mac lines needs Santa Rosa
April: updated pro lines
May: Leopard
June: iPhone
July: WWDC

That doses the hype out over every month into autumn, while not competing with hype over Vista, but capitalizing on Vista dismay.

I agree with your timeline, though the consumer Macs might slip until April and you missed the "late Feb." new products lready announced.

One other possibility that was sparked by recent flickr pictures is that the HDD based iPod wolud get a nano-like facelift with an Aluminum skin and colors. This could happen sooner than August/Sept.

B

Westside guy
Jan 17, 2007, 07:56 PM

That's gonna suck for the Aussies, then. :p

JackSYi
Jan 17, 2007, 08:28 PM
Apple is doing incredible business, I don't get how some people doesn't see that and tries to deny it.

iLife and iWork updates are for sure. I agree with Peace, it should happen somehow with the Beatles thing, most likely an "Apple Special Event."

Le Big Mac
Jan 17, 2007, 08:46 PM

I think it more likely has to do with the introduction of iTV. Presumably they need to get iLife to work with a possibly new interface for iTV (or something new about it). Maybe they'll bundle iTV and iLife 07

ChrisA
Jan 17, 2007, 08:55 PM
We don't announce future products, but... stay tuned.

What about...

iTV,
Leopard
iPhone

Are these not "future products"?

mikes63737
Jan 17, 2007, 08:56 PM
It's getting so hard to wait. Hopefully it all comes out on Tuesday. :p

TheBobcat
Jan 17, 2007, 09:03 PM
Apple NEEDS an event before Vista's release date.

It will be the difference between the media comparing Vista to Tiger, or "Apple's upcoming Leopard".

And if Vista is compared to Tiger, I seriously doubt Tiger will get credit in those comparisons for being nearly TWO YEARS OLD, with some aspects of OSX even older than that.

I think that iLife will come out with Leopard, with a bundle option to buy both at the same time. OR iLife will be included with Leopard to compare with software included with Vista that rips off iPhoto and iMovie (albeit poorly).

Bern
Jan 17, 2007, 09:07 PM
I really don't mind the wait for Autumn release of Leopard (and iLife '07 plus iWork '07) if it has to be. I'm getting a MBP in May so if it coincides with that then that's all good for me :D

mymacluvsme
Jan 17, 2007, 09:09 PM
Or down here where spring starts in September.... :D

Yikes! :eek:

bradallen
Jan 17, 2007, 09:29 PM
steve mentioned in his keynote that he would soon be talking about mac and not ipods. So i'm guessing around mid February there will be an announcement for iLife and iWork seeing how appleTV will be just shipping. The new iLife will look just like appleTV.
I can see appleTV have slow but steady sales as more and more people switch to Macs and buy more and more iPods. The appleTV is an awesome price too. only $299.99 US. That's as much as an 8 gig nano or a 30 gig ipod video.
I know I'll be buying an appleTV in the summer most likely.

as far as Leopard, I HOPE it comes out soon. I'm going to guess it will be talked about in Feb and released in late April, early May.

Just after the iPhone release i expect a new fullscreen video ipod both in flash and in HDD. 16Gig flash, or 80 gig hard drive. this will be for those people who A) can't afford an iPhone, B) aren't interested in the iPhone, C) to help the iPod sales balance out with the iPhone sales, and D) to make everyone's dream come true.

Back to the Leopard release, when it is released they will also be shipping or pre-ordering octo-Macs and new macbooks.

Or atleast, i'm hoping. Because I need a new computer for computer programming, and I want to get leopard so i can have bootcamp built in.

other than that, i expect this to be a very exciting year for apple, and a very big lose of money to my wallet.

oceanmonster
Jan 17, 2007, 10:05 PM
I'd bet that the reason that Apple is holding its release of iLife is because it will use the super secret new features of Leopard or it is designed in the rumored new Illuminous UI and they are not ready to show that off. I'm guessing that the 2007 iLife will have new features that rely heavily on the new core animation.

JonHimself
Jan 17, 2007, 10:20 PM
I don't think his comments about iLife are all that revealing. It could just mean that we will know soon. "Stay tuned" to me means that we will know soon not necessarily that iLife will be shipping soon. My guess is that iLife and iWork will both require some of the new features in Leopard. Apple will schedule a special "one more thing" media event for TUESDAY January 30th the same day as the Vista consumer launch. They will demo the new features in Leopard, iLife, and iWork, and announce the ship dates in March. They will probably also introduce one more thing shipping that day.

I'm undecided as to the best time to preview Leopard. Part of me thinks to do it a day or two afterwards to steal the thunder, so to speak, but another part thinks it should be beforehand. As someone mentioned, comparing Vista to Tiger is possible (for the non-informed) but I would think (read: Hope) that Vista will not be at all comparable to Leopard and then when Microsoft unveils it, the news will already have oooo'eh and aaaaaa'ed over the Leopard and be less than impressed with Vista.

Mtn Tamale
Jan 17, 2007, 10:38 PM
Its just the way Apple does business. All the current Macs will be upgraded or made irresistible to their target markets...like Octocore Pro's...so they capture a ton of upgraders that have been sitting on the sidelines. Then they release Leopard 4-6 weeks later, and capture all the dough flowing out to upgrade to the latest OS with their latest hardware.

mnb
Jan 17, 2007, 11:16 PM
Q: Is iLife still a January refresh time schedule? A: We don't announce future products, but... stay tuned.

I guess I didn't hear about iPhone last week then.

Or Leopard last year....

Or...

Hey Apple, how about saying no comment instead of flat out lying?

macman2790
Jan 17, 2007, 11:16 PM

i think you may be right, i made a thread about this, kinda got some discouraging comments though. Well they include it in new purchases, so why not leopard? Nobody was really open minded about my suggestions or any thing i had to say but im still skeptical.

CANEHDN
Jan 17, 2007, 11:17 PM

Everyone. When Apple tells us that we need the new features in iLife '07 we will all think we need it.

macman2790
Jan 17, 2007, 11:24 PM
Apple NEEDS an event before Vista's release date.

It will be the difference between the media comparing Vista to Tiger, or "Apple's upcoming Leopard".

And if Vista is compared to Tiger, I seriously doubt Tiger will get credit in those comparisons for being nearly TWO YEARS OLD, with some aspects of OSX even older than that.

I think that iLife will come out with Leopard, with a bundle option to buy both at the same time. OR iLife will be included with Leopard to compare with software included with Vista that rips off iPhoto and iMovie (albeit poorly).
makes perfect sense but when i suggested that in the thread i made about ilife 07 it got shot down also.

rspress
Jan 17, 2007, 11:51 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple just completed the conference call for their financial results from Q1 2007. As reported (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070117163713.shtml) Apple posted $1 Billion in profit. A few interesting comments were made during the question and answer section that followed.

First of all, despite concerns about Apple's silence about Leopard may mean that they are behind on it, Apple execs confirmed that they are still planning on shipping Leopard in "Spring 2007":

Second, and perhaps more revealing is that when questioned about when iLife would be updated, they implied it would be very soon:

My money is on the WWDC. I don't think iLife07 and iWork07 will be released until 10.5 is. It seems there are lots of goodies under the hood in 10.5 and even the Dashcode beta had to have stuff removed to work with 10.4. Of course 10.5 could be released before WWDC 2007 but you know how steve is!

ipoddin
Jan 18, 2007, 01:37 AM

My guess is iLife '07 announced on 1.29.07 and available 1.30.07 the day Vista comes out.

andyblac
Jan 18, 2007, 03:01 AM
My guess is iLife '07 announced on 1.29.07 and available 1.30.07 the day Vista comes out.

that would be a great birthday present for me, as the 30th Jan is my birthday :D

powermac_daddy
Jan 18, 2007, 03:30 AM
We can switch to PC or Mac. That would be really cool.
AutoCAD or other PC based CAD programs on an Intel Mac?

Is that going to be fast? the same speed as using a damn PC?

any experts?

EagerDragon
Jan 18, 2007, 04:59 AM

Not likely guys, remember that Apple is not extimating a lot of business this quater. Most announcement and shipping is likely to occur on or around the next quarter (around March).
We also heard that iLife and iWorks was running a little behind, that also tells me March or so.
I could be wrong.

ATG
Jan 18, 2007, 05:29 AM
Cool. Can't wait for leopard - looking forward to adding to the delicious generation ;)

RandomTox
Jan 18, 2007, 06:22 AM
I really don't mind the wait for Autumn release of Leopard (and iLife '07 plus iWork '07) if it has to be. I'm getting a MBP in May so if it coincides with that then that's all good for me :D

We are very happy for you:)

zac4mac
Jan 18, 2007, 06:54 AM
powermac_daddy-
"We can switch to PC or Mac. That would be really cool.
AutoCAD or other PC based CAD programs on an Intel Mac?

Is that going to be fast? the same speed as using a damn PC?"

My experience with my RevA CD MBP2GHz is that it is a very fast XP-PC and a very fast Mac.

BTW - I expect to see regular releases, every week to other week for the next month or two. I most like the idea of a multi-touch display or iMac; gonna take some acclimation but a better interface in the long run. Simplest is best IMO.

Z

wordmunger
Jan 18, 2007, 07:24 AM
that would be a great birthday present for me, as the 30th Jan is my birthday :D

Heh. Me, too!

Sped
Jan 18, 2007, 08:02 AM
iLife needs to be updated, so we will have some capability to import new hd codecs like AVHDC.

pale9
Jan 18, 2007, 08:15 AM

who needs anything new? my dads 57 chevy had everything a car needs: auto, air, power windows, power brakes...
a 1970's color tv worked pretty good too! even had a remote!

so you just stick with ilife 06 for the next 10 years...:)

pale9
Jan 18, 2007, 08:31 AM
every other post here now thinks that iwork and ilife have not been announced because the somehow rely on leopards new features. ONE guy came up with that a short while ago and now everybody thinks that is true! interesting how the mind works. the fact is, nobody outside of apple knows how, when and why iwork and ilife 07 will or will not be released and which features it will have. dont get me wrong, anybody can have their oppinion i am just wondering why most agree with one unsubstantiated rumor?

just as the eye can play tricks on you, so can the mind. what humans dislike the most is the unknown and uncertainty. so for whatever reason, that one oppinion seems to be the most soothing to most....

Porchland
Jan 18, 2007, 08:47 AM

Mark my words.

Vista launches on Jan. 30, which is on a Tuesday and the week of the Super Bowl. If Apple wanted to steel the thunder from Vista -- and I'm not saying they should -- Jan. 30 would be a great day to do it.

Something like: A one-hour special event keynote.

* Steve takes the stage, talks about Vista, shows how it's basically Tiger but not as good.

* announces street date and pricing for Leopard, a new jaw-dropping feature that's not in Vista.

* announces iLife/iWork, lots of Cover Flow, more dot-mac stuff, available today.

* announces some iPod sales stats from the recent quarter.

* 500,000 Apple TV's shipping this week, orders above expectations.

* iTunes music, TV and movie downloads. Market share stats.

* TV and movie downloads available today for a half-dozen new countries.

* "American Idol" available today, tons of special features, live singles to be available the morning after the Tuesday performance shows.

* Fox is on board for movies, with 20 new catalog titles available today (including "X-Men," "Ice Age," etc.).

* New iPod lineup, storage bumps in the shuffle and nano, widescreen iPod replacing the white iPod, most of the features from the iPhone but lots more storage than the iPhone.

One More Thing...

* The Beatles, full catalog album catalog, video features, special Yellow Submarine iPod nano.

Personally, I'd rather see them stay away from Vista and do this later, effectively announcing The Beatles in the Super Bowl ad, saving everything else for later, and making something else the One More Thing.

Later this year...

Apple TV is a much bigger part of the strategy than anyone realizes at this point. It has the potential to spawn a recurring revenue GIANT of a subscription service, and the analysts love recurring revenue.

I don't expect to see an actual announcement of a subscription service until later this year, either at WWDC or as part of a refresh of the Apple TV in October for the Christmas market.

I have no idea what pricing would look like, but it will be competitive with cable, will include (nearly) live programming and Apple will finally cave to the studios and offer PPVs for $4.99 for new releases and $3.99 for catalog titles.

Also, I don't think a plasma display marketed as a TV is out of the question sometime this year, particularly as part of a compete display refresh. Two models. Competitively priced.

Evangelion
Jan 18, 2007, 09:05 AM
* Steve takes the stage, talks about Vista, shows how it's basically Tiger but not as good.

Why? They did that already, and it was awkard and boring. And it makes you think that "Why do you need to resort to badmouthing your competitor like this? Don't you trust the quality and value of your product?". Besides, SJ would already be talking to his followers, there's no need to remind them that Vista sucks.

Porchland
Jan 18, 2007, 09:10 AM
Why? They did that already, and it was awkard and boring. And it makes you think that "Why do you need to resort to badmouthing your competitor like this? Don't you trust the quality and value of your product?". Besides, SJ would already be talking to his followers, there's no need to remind them that Vista sucks.

I was assuming a Stevenote on the same day as the Vista announcement, which I don't necessarily think will or should happen. I just think this is what it will look like if it does happen on Jan. 30.

I think anything he says about Vista will be short and wry and in the context of Apple already having moved past it with Leopard.

Benton
Jan 18, 2007, 09:47 AM
With emphasis on Leopard and iLife 2007 introduction in Spring 2007, it seems to me the likely unveiling will occur at Apple's WWADC starting 11 June 2007 along with availability of iPhone.

mdntcallr
Jan 18, 2007, 10:06 AM
you guys are forgetting the mac pro can be updated any day.

it is due for the new quadcore chip from intel, and blu-ray

also new monitors/tv's from apple could come as well.

alot of devices and tech will be refreshed in the near future. not end of spring.

JFreak
Jan 18, 2007, 10:06 AM
It would be nice if iLife was bundled into Leopard as part of its included set of apps.

It has been included, but recently Apple took it out of the operating system. They needed to, and it's great that they did. Now Microsoft looks even more evil due to bundling non-core applications to the Windows.

I'd even pay a higher price for OS X, like $150 to $160.

How is it different to pay 129 for operating system and 79 for the media package? Yes, 129+79=208 which is more than 160, but the media package comes free with every Apple hardware purchase, so you don't have to pay for it if you buy new hardware every year ;)

I wonder if this will be necessary someday as Microsoft continues to include these kinds of apps in Vista to compete.

It goes the other way: Microsoft will have to some day unbundle their media player and other evil software from the operating system package. Their hardware partners would however be free to include those apps to their hardware bundle, but that's another story. It's what Apple does and it is the legal way.

rcha101
Jan 18, 2007, 10:11 AM
Like what is the roadmap for these products? Surely this is a stop gap measure until the capacity of the iphone increases.

I'm more interested in the roadmap for the macbook pros. Apple need to come out and and give some indications. I assume these will not be available until 10.5 and ilife 07 are released. I would like to see some of the following:
-esata port built in
-all ports on one side like the macbook (or at least a/v on one side and the rest on the other)
-improved wireless reception (macbook is better than macbook pro for this)
-bluray or hd dvd drive pref a hybrid supporting both formats
-memory card reader (though unlikely as it would ruin the aesthetics)
-big solid state HD or a hybrid
-802.11n
-if all this talk about new LED screens is true then that too

Come on Steve, what's going on?

Lovesong
Jan 18, 2007, 05:51 PM
Like what is the roadmap for these products? Surely this is a stop gap measure until the capacity of the iphone increases.

I'm more interested in the roadmap for the macbook pros. Apple need to come out and and give some indications. I assume these will not be available until 10.5 and ilife 07 are released. I would like to see some of the following:
-esata port built in
-all ports on one side like the macbook (or at least a/v on one side and the rest on the other)
-802.11n

I hope that this one was a joke. Since when have Apple just come out and told you when they're going to release the next computer update? What do you think that would do to sales of their current hardware?
blueray-hddvd?- sure I'd love to have a $4000 base model.
solid state HD? - umm what... a 32gig hard?
802.11n? - yeah, done...it's in the current line I mean
LED screens? - no screw the $4000 base model, you're right, I want a $6000 base model

Sorry about the tirade, but this really wasn't the topic of this post. We're talking about iLife and iWork, with Leopard. People are excited about what the Apple SW future holds, and really would rather avoid hearing more about new MBPs.

BWhaler
Jan 18, 2007, 07:42 PM
I hope iWork comes soon and totally rocks...

jonharris200
Jan 18, 2007, 07:51 PM
In the UK, Spring is March/April and possibly the beginning of May, but definitely not June.

fireplace
Jan 30, 2007, 03:54 AM
In the UK, Spring is March/April and possibly the beginning of May, but definitely not June.

its part of the skill of apple that they can create the likes of this website by keeping us guessing. i have been stung once - i bought a mbp g4 about a month before they released an upgrade in 2005, so i missed out on i'life '06 too.

now i really want to get ilife '06 but am afraid that '07 will come out straight after. or they'll start shipping the new macbook pros - i want to upgrade to one of those.

so: Dear Apple, please could you give us a vague idea of when the ilife '07 and macbook pros will ship so i can decide to get ilife 06? i'll buy 06 if its going to be more than a month. if the macbook pros are going to be a while, i'll be off to the honda shop for a new fireblade instead. i need to budget for my toys for the year.
lots of love
moi.

bikertwin
Jan 30, 2007, 05:37 PM
LoopRumors is claiming iLife will become part & parcel of OS X Leopard, with a concomitant price increase (although their math was wrong).

Chef Medeski
Jan 30, 2007, 06:10 PM

-esata port built in
-802.11n

All seems nice and perfectly plausible except for (big solid state HD) never going happen this year. It doesnt exist currently forget about it. Hybrid isnt plausible either, since they are heavily entrenched in Intel and their parallel hybrid technology, Robson. So, Robson is much more likely than Hybrid and even more than solid state HDs. But I like your checklist. I agree everywhere plus I would like to see slightly longer battery life.

someone
Jan 30, 2007, 10:42 PM
am really looking for it ... i want to compare it with Vista