Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

astray

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2003
uk
http://www.Macwhispers.com reports:

Details Emerge On Coming iPod Super Docks

Continued investigation on the previously reported upscale iPod docking product has painted a fairly detailed picture of not one, but two upcoming products. One is a mild step up from the basic dock, with more I/O features for integrating into a home stereo system; the other is much, much more than that.

Both of the new advanced 'Pod docks are slated for near-term production, and are to be released concurrently with a host of updates in v3.0 of the iPod software, and about the time that Apple unveils its iTunes Music Store for Windows, later in 2003.

The first product we will see released is a white plastic dock, physically similar to the stock iPod dock, but with stereo RCA jacks on the back, and an IR remote "eye" on the front. A small, white plastic IR handheld remote will be included that provides not only basic transport functions not handled by the stock wired remote, but also gives forward/back controls for album, chapter, and playlist, as well as adds a mute control. We have not been able to confirm whether the remote will include an LCD display, but this has been suggested as possible by one unproven OEM source.

The second dock product, possibly released at the same time as the "hi-fi dock," will include all of the above mentioned features, plus will add recording and playback of line input or microphone level stereo audio, as well as Rendezvous-enabled 802.11G Airport networking capability. This much we have verified with a high degree of confidence. Beyond these features, we have, again, an unproven OEM source telling us that that this "network dock" will go "well beyond" these core features in a way that "seamlessly integrates the iPod into both the home stereo system and the home LAN." We consider one suggested feature to be farfetched, and offer it here only as a claim that has been made to us: this particular dock is said to be able to surf and control the iTunes Music Store as a standalone client, over an Airport or Ethernet-based shared internet connection to a Mac or PC.

To clarify this report, we have established the reality of two upcoming upscale iPod docks from Apple. One adds RCA jacks and an IR remote for fairly advanced iPod remote control. The other adds some degree of on-board processing capability, Rendezvous-enabled Airport networking, and stereo audio recording. Any more than these points are offered more in the sense of informative speculation, until such time as we have more history established with the particular source of these more advanced claims.

astray

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2003
uk
This concept will take the iPod to a new level if it comes true, imagine your entire music librabray, connected to your stereo, with a rendezvous capability.... ill have to stop drooling.

But does that mean you could remote control your neighbours stereo if they were using such a dock? sleeping neighbour, 3am, loud music, rendezvous, Sounds like a great prank ;)

Ah well, ill give the usual disclaimer, this is a RUMOUR..not fact, so take it with a pinch of salt?

JPGR_Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2003
St. Louis
Let's see. $39 for the current dock, so New Dock #1 ~ 2X or $79 to $100; New Dock #2 ~ 4X or $159 to $200. I'll go for Dock #2 if it does the WiFi thing.

bigjohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2000
Monrovia, CA
already high-rent district

Upscale is right as I'm about to drop $499 for a 30GB iPod (that'll be doubled in size within 2 years), now I'd have to drop another $100-200 for a special dock. Hopefully someone like Dr. Bott or ClubMac comes out with a generic dock beforehand and keeps the Apple one in-check pricewise.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Oh yea! Hmmm... Now, I wonder what I can get for my Sony 400 CD Changer. Not to mention the fact that I'll free up a H-U-G-E space in my equipment rack! :D

Yea I know I could pretty much do that now with the dock they already have but I have a somewhat strange setup. All of my gear is in the family room with only speakers in the living room. I use an IR transmitter to remote contol all the audio stuff. If I were to put in the switch now I'd have to walk up and down the stairs to change songs etc. BLECH! Once I've got something that could IR remote control things I'll be all set, oh and if it has an LCD display on the remote I'll even be ahead of the game! :cool:

Dave

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
clip on scribble pad?

I've heard that there will be a device that clips onto the iPod like the external battery pack, only to the front.
It will basically be a scribble pad, like those on palms that allows you to input handwritten text on the move.

Anyone else hear that?

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
Re: clip on scribble pad?

Originally posted by visor
I've heard that there will be a device that clips onto the iPod like the external battery pack, only to the front.
It will basically be a scribble pad, like those on palms that allows you to input handwritten text on the move.

Anyone else hear that?

You've "heard" that where?

cryptochrome

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
So where's the dock for your car? A stereo with a drop in slot and built in navigation controls would be ideal. An adapter that works in place of existing in-trunk CD changer systems and can be fully controlled by regular CD-changer controls would be even better. FM transmitters and cassette adapters can't match a line connection for quality.

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
Re: Re: clip on scribble pad?

Originally posted by cc bcc
You've "heard" that where?

Oh, not any offical source. I didn't really believe it at first, but looking at the iPod, it is the only thing thats missing on it, wouldn't you say?
That's why I asked if anyone had Infos on it.

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by cryptochrome
So where's the dock for your car? A stereo with a drop in slot and built in navigation controls would be ideal. An adapter that works in place of existing in-trunk CD changer systems and can be fully controlled by regular CD-changer controls would be even better. FM transmitters and cassette adapters can't match a line connection for quality.

A year or so ago, there was information/rumor that Volkswagen was going to release a special edition Jetta with an iPod dock in the dash. (Which wouldn't be unheard of for VW -- they had a "Trek" edition Jetta a few years back that came with a Trek bike.) I never heard anything else about it though, and I've been looking.

mim

macrumors 6502
It would be great if the recording dock had balanced inputs - it would become a sound engineer's best friend. You'd want it to record to aiff though, but on a 30gig pod there'd be plenty of room. Just think no more lugging PCM's, betamax's, dats, etc etc around. Mic's and an iPod.

I'd expect this feature to only be available on the Mac. Infact this is quite a clever strategy by Apple...."sure, sure we'll release all these cool new features, but ahh, the really useful ones are Mac only...sorry!"

Every sound engineer in the world would be tempted to switch if this was the case.

Bands could master their songs on iPod and upload directly to iTMS ;)

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
The remote feature would be very nice. I wonder how much an advanced iPod dock would cost. :confused:

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
it seems a bit silly to bring it out now , but if its gonna be that good then it'd be worth it

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
An IR remote for the iPod is really quite trivial. It would be a simple matter to design and build one. (I've even entertained the notion of building one for my 20GB iPod - which will never be supported by these new docks.)

A car dock is another matter. It could be tricky or trivial. Many car stereos actually do have stereo line-in support, frequently located on the back of the stereo (buried inside your dash board). So, if your stereo has such a thing, then all you need is to get a line to it that comes out the front of your dash, and build some sort of holder for your iPod itself. This would leave the screen and controls visible so you can control the iPod with its own controls. Of course, ideally, you want to power your iPod at the same time. That makes things a little more complicated...

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention...

Does anyone else find it strange that they're already talking about iPod OS v3.0? I mean v2.0 has only been released as of the new iPods. How long did 1.x last? Do we think that 2.x is going to be that much of an interim system?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by Snowy_River
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention...

Does anyone else find it strange that they're already talking about iPod OS v3.0? I mean v2.0 has only been released as of the new iPods. How long did 1.x last? Do we think that 2.x is going to be that much of an interim system?

you're exactly right-- since Apple doesn't track hardware revisions with model naming, in the iPods they've obviously decided to increase 1 whole version by hardware version. iPod OS 3.0 won't be around 'till the iPod gets another redesign.

personally, i doubt all of this very much, but i suppose anything's possible... it would certainly be interesting...

pnw

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
sounds cool :)...... and expensive :(.

Let's hope apple learns that not everyone is made of money, and will try to keep the prices extra low. ;)

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by scem0
sounds cool :)...... and expensive :(.

Let's hope apple learns that not everyone is made of money, and will try to keep the prices extra low. ;)

Apple has always been a premium quality product, and their prices have reflected that. They generally leave the less expensive products to third party developers.

Personally, I'm stunned that no third party developer has made a simple, cheap IR remote for the iPod.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
It's cool that Apple is developing one, even though I have no use for it. I am sure many will find an advanced dock useful and enjoy its "cool" factor.

MrBillGates

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Well, it will be well and good if apple comes out with new "advanced" iPod docks. However, I'll be happy Apple finally starts shipping the standard dock and special firewire to dock cables!#@#! It sucks only having one dock and cable. The inability to buy these accessories right now is a load of crap.

Tequila Grandma

macrumors regular
May 17, 2003
Boston MA
I personally think it'd be absolutely marvelous if Apple collaborated with one of the top car stereo producers to make a car stereo with an iPod dock. On a similar note, does anybody know if there are in fact car stereos that have a line in jack on the front?

The concept of having two models (or maybe three if they opt to keep the current dock in production) is a very good one IMO. This way people will be able to purchase whatever dock best fits with the way they use their iPod, and nobody has to waste money on features they won't use :)

Arigato,
Brook

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.