PDA

View Full Version : New Englanders may be out of luck when it comes to the iPhon...

MacBytes
Jan 17, 2007, 08:19 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: New Englanders may be out of luck when it comes to the iPhone (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070117211903)
Description:: Large parts of New England are not covered by Cingular, Apple's exclusive iPhone partner in the US.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Lancetx
Jan 17, 2007, 08:35 PM
To be fair, if you look at their coverage maps, you'll see that most of the states that are mentioned have no AT&T/Cingular coverage in only the very most sparsely populated areas of those states. Practically all of the major cities have coverage, as well as all areas that are adjacent to interstate highways in those states. I don't like Cingular either, but this article makes this issue sound much worse than it is.

Bob Knob
Jan 17, 2007, 08:55 PM
I live in Southern California and I have Verizon... surprise, there is no signal in many locations they claim to cover, including one of their own stores!
I'll be switching to Cingular when the iPhone comes out... and I expect that my reception will be just as spotty as it is now.

All cellular companies suck.

BenRoethig
Jan 17, 2007, 09:05 PM
To be fair, if you look at their coverage maps, you'll see that most of the states that are mentioned have no AT&T/Cingular coverage in only the very most sparsely populated areas of those states. Practically all of the major cities have coverage, as well as all areas that are adjacent to interstate highways in those states. I don't like Cingular either, but this article makes this issue sound much worse than it is.

Once you get west of the Appalachians, most of the country is sparsely populated.

ero87
Jan 17, 2007, 09:14 PM
there's a Cingular tower on my college campus.

in PROVIDENCE. that's pretty new england...

CTYankee
Jan 17, 2007, 09:30 PM
Whats with the title? New England? More like Vermont and a whole lot of other states west. Maine will be limited, but really...maine is very remote in many places, same for New Hampshire. Areas in New England that are densely populated are covered (most of CT, RI, eastern MA). So basically the only people in New England effected are those in VT and the people living in the woods of the other tiny states. There are probably far more people effected in the other larger states listed (NY and CO namely).

justflie
Jan 18, 2007, 02:16 PM
My girlfriend has cingular in Canton, MA (not too far from boston) and she gets good reception. I go to school in Worcester (around the middle of the state, between Boston and Springfield) and, according to Cingular's coverage map, I should be getting very good or excellent reception. That works for me. I'm guessing limited coverage is more in the mountains of maine, NH, and VT.

m-dogg
Jan 18, 2007, 05:27 PM
Yeah, I think Verizon is the best of the carriers when you start getting north into the mountains. I tend to get better coverage than my friends with other cell carriers when we travel up there together.

Not that any of them have great coverage, of course!

MacNut
Jan 18, 2007, 09:56 PM
It should read Northern New England.

La Porta
Jan 18, 2007, 10:41 PM
What everyone said is true. At least on Long Island (which isn't really New England), Connecticut, and Boston MA (places I frequent) I haven't heard any complaining from either Verizon or Cingular customers (a.k.a. my friends). Out in the woods...hey, you chose to live there, too bad :P Every place that they mentioned is out in the sticks in some way. Nothing new here with regards to wireless service...let alone things like cable.

jayb2000
Jan 19, 2007, 04:53 PM
Whatever. I have cingular, I live in Maine and routinely drive down 95/93/route 1 to Rhode Island. Since I got my Sony Ericcsson W810 I have great reception for that whole strech, as well as all around Portland. Pretty much anywhere within 45 min of the coast, where about 90% of the state's population lives, is fine for cingular.