PDA

View Full Version : Full Video iPod in 2007 and Mac Tablet in 2008?

MacRumors
Jan 17, 2007, 09:26 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

MacScoop cites (http://www.macscoop.com/articles/2007/01/17/multi-touch-powered-widescreen-ipod-and-tablet-mac-on-the-way) reliable sources that indicate that Apple will be deploying its mini OS X to at least two more devices using the same technologies found in the iPhone.

The first is the full screen video iPod which has been long rumored. The final iPod design is expected to feature a similar display to the iPhone (which some have noted is not true widescreen ratio (http://news.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,39029678,49286986,00.htm)) and also include 80GB and 100GB capacities. The video iPod is reportedly ready and due to ship before the iPhone's June release.

The second device is another veteran of the Mac rumor scene - a Mac tablet.

The rumor site expects the forthcoming tablet to utilize the same multi-touch technology, a more advanced version of "mini" OS X, and Wifi connectivity. The target market for the Tablet Mac is for research and education markets,

In November Smarthouse.com.au claimed (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/11/20061126112026.shtml) Apple was working on a tablet Mac with docking station, but no further evidence of this has been available.

It certainly does seem that this mobile version of Mac OS X has a future beyond the iPhone. Early Appleinsider rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/12/20061219140034.shtml) of Apple's mini OS X project described it as the centerpiece for future Apple embedded devices, including a "jaw-dropping" device not due to hit the market until 2008.

Me1000
Jan 17, 2007, 09:30 PM
iPod: Cool

Tablet: Cool; if its affordable!

xUKHCx
Jan 17, 2007, 09:31 PM

Very cool if they include the sensing pixels camera thing so you can scan documents in. I have been saying this for a long time. You do this, you own the educational market.

failsafe1
Jaw dropping would imply a dental imaging device perhaps using embedded os X?

Chaszmyr
I don't know how I would decide between an iPhone and an iPod that both used Multitouch.

Hugh
Jan 17, 2007, 09:32 PM
They better come out with those wide screen iPods soon. I think it's just the iPhone, it's something every body wants. But then when it is released people will complain it isn't what they expected.

As for the tablet, I don't know about that. I have to ask why? There isn't really a large market for tablet.

Hugh

tribulation
Jan 17, 2007, 09:33 PM
The tablet wouldn't be so cool if it has a limited and locked version of OS X on it. Apple apps are great, but I want to install other apps on it as well for specialized processes and things that Apple would never make or support. Without 3rd party access to the mini-osx, I think it's a waste of time.

rxse7en
Now that new video iPod would make for a Super Bowl ad! It will almost be the final nail in Zune's coffin.

B

polishmacuser
I mean cmon some people want the widescreen ipod then the actual phone arent i right?

Xander562
Jan 17, 2007, 09:34 PM
Cool! I thought the iPhone spelt death for any hopes of a True Video iPod, but i guess not. :) :cool: I still wont be buying one untill my 5.5G is out of warranty and broken.

RoboCop001
Jan 17, 2007, 09:37 PM
I'm looking forward to that widescreen iPod. Hopefully it'll be 16:9 ratio.

I'm guessing that the games for the current iPod won't work with the new ones, right? Unless maybe they put some sort of virtual scroll wheel in there when you play the "old" games so that you can still play it, and above the wheel will be the screen.

But I bet they'll probably have to re-make the games specifically for the widescreen iPod.

I just don't want to have to pay for Tetris again heh.

Or maybe the games are already compatible. That'd be great!

WildCowboy
Jan 17, 2007, 09:39 PM
I'd hope that they could bump the iPod to 120 GB. The Seagate CEO said last summer that they planned to have a 120 GB 1.8" drive by the end of the year. I haven't seen anything on it recently, but they did just start shipping their 60 GB single platter drive, so the 120 GB double platter version shouldn't be too far behind.

keigo
Jan 17, 2007, 09:40 PM
Cool! I thought the iPhone spelt death for any hopes of a True Video iPod, but i guess not. :) :cool: I still wont be buying one untill my 5.5G is out of warranty and broken.

The iphone at max only 8G only. It is far too small to even come near to push ipod out of the way.

Unless we are saying 40G iphone then maybe ipod will be history.

AppleIntelRock
Jan 17, 2007, 09:44 PM
PLEASE let there be a new ipod: soon. If there isn't, I'm getting an iPhone, which is over-priced and under-featured- however, "he had me at scrolling" :D haha

polishmacuser
Bring it on!!!!!!!!!:D

bradallen
Now that new video iPod would make for a Super Bowl ad! It will almost be the final nail in Zune's coffin.
B

they did say there was going to be an apple superbowl ad
atleast i know i read it somewheres / heard it.

as for killing the zune: it so would and we'd forget they ever existed.

i would love a tablet mac for graphic design and now that CS3 is coming out soon! it would be like magic if those two went hand in hand.

one can only dream forf now.

i hope the superbowl ad is about leopard or fullscreen video ipod

bradallen
Jan 17, 2007, 09:46 PM
The iphone at max only 8G only. It is far too small to even come near to push ipod out of the way.

Unless we are saying 40G iphone then maybe ipod will be history.

i dont think the ipod will ever be history

even if the iphone was the same price, not everyone wants / needs a phone.
the demand for ipods will always be there. you just cant compare the two because of battery life and size limitation.

MacVault
Jan 17, 2007, 09:49 PM
These future (rumored) products sound GREAT - just as long as they're NOT locked down to any cell phone company/annual contracts!

kskill
Jan 17, 2007, 09:52 PM
i really hope apple drops a full screen ipod soon. my 4g click wheel is busted and i'm waiting until then to replace it.

but wouldn't a full screen touch ipod hurt sales of the iphone? it's a different market, but i feel like they'd wait for the buzz to die down on iphone before releasing something else that's awesome.

Hunabku
Jan 17, 2007, 09:57 PM
As I mentioned in a previous thread, we should expect the os x mini/apps and hardware on the future ipod to be even further lobotomized than the iphone so as to create differentiation between the products. Many of us would be splendidly happy with all the funtions of the iphone - minus the telephone capabilities (and 2 years of contracted hell with cingular)

Having said that, wouldn't it be cool if we could hook up a mic and use our ipod for VoIP - unfortunately we can probably safely say that WiFi will be left out of the ipods - Apple please say it isn't so :(

Spock
Jan 17, 2007, 10:05 PM
I have been waiting for this stupid 6th Gen. iPod forever i want to replace my 4th Gen its getting screwy. Plus i have a nice Newton sticker waiting to go on the back of it ;)

blueflame
Jan 17, 2007, 10:06 PM
ius a video ipod that can handle wideo chat over wifi. thats it. done deal, im sold. you know waht. it doesnt even have to be a video ipod. if they made the exact same ipod now with some camera and ichat id be happy.

p0intblank
Jan 17, 2007, 10:07 PM
And the two biggest rumors begin once again! A real iPod video is pretty much a given before Christmas this year. But the Mac tablet not until 2008? That seems so far away. :(

Analog Kid
Jan 17, 2007, 10:08 PM
I'm pretty sure the multi-touch in the phone isn't stylus compatible... That doesn't bode well for a tablet unless they're using a completely different screen technology...

age234
Jan 17, 2007, 10:12 PM
Both my G3 and G4 iPods died recently, so I'm ready for a new one. And it would be oh-so-great if it included the mini-Safari and other communications stuff minus the phone. But anything's better than what I have now.

stephenli
Jan 17, 2007, 10:13 PM
i just wonder if widescreen iPod is would somehow compete with iPhone.
Will u really buy iPhone lateron if you got a widescreen iPod which have 80GB storage?!
(truly speaking, i really want a 80GB iPhone)

but it would be nice for those who doesnt use cingular....and for those who are not in US right now....

AppleIntelRock
Jan 17, 2007, 10:13 PM
I have been waiting for this stupid 6th Gen. iPod forever i want to replace my 4th Gen its getting screwy. Plus i have a nice Newton sticker waiting to go on the back of it ;)

I hope we can INPUT contacts/events.

PodPacker
Jan 17, 2007, 10:16 PM
They've said it a million times Tablet PCs are not at all in demand. The logical step for Apple in the digital hub is an azz-kicking universal remote like Logitech's Harmony 1000. Besides, why would you need a dock for a tablet PC?

www.podpacker.com

iomar
Jan 17, 2007, 10:18 PM
Wow, this sound really good. I am sure apple can do a lot with its mini OSX. I can't wait for the iphone and I am might purchase the tablet Mac.

Spock
Jan 17, 2007, 10:22 PM
I hope we can INPUT contacts/events.

That would be nice.

AJ Muni
Jan 17, 2007, 10:24 PM
How reliable is macscoop?

Stella
Jan 17, 2007, 10:25 PM
The tablet wouldn't be so cool if it has a limited and locked version of OS X on it. Apple apps are great, but I want to install other apps on it as well for specialized processes and things that Apple would never make or support. Without 3rd party access to the mini-osx, I think it's a waste of time.

Any tablet will be internet capable.
Maybe Apple's excuse for restricting the 3rd party developers will be - 'they don't want people bringing down the internet'.

Almost as stupid as Job's claim that a dodgy 3rd party iPhone app would bring down a cellular network. ROTFL.

Bad jokes aside:
The tablet market isn't mature enough yet, maybe things will have changed slightly by the time Apple brings such a device to market.

i just wonder if widescreen iPod is would somehow compete with iPhone.
Will u really buy iPhone lateron if you got a widescreen iPod which have 80GB storage?!
(truly speaking, i really want a 80GB iPhone)

but it would be nice for those who doesnt use cingular....and for those who are not in US right now....
Well... a widescreen iPod would be, technically, an iPod... I expect it would replace the 5.5 or just be an additional higher-end edition. Not everyone wants video... but then, Apple could suggest 'thats what the Nano's are for'.

They've said it a million times Tablet PCs are not at all in demand. The logical step for Apple in the digital hub is an azz-kicking universal remote like Logitech's Harmony 1000. Besides, why would you need a dock for a tablet PC?

www.podpacker.com
Yep, Apple could throw in an I.R port on to the iPhone or iTablet and build the software. IR ports are cheap. The software to build would be more expensive ( i.e., you have to pay the developers ) ... but it would be a good additional functionality. Or, of course, a completely new device - but would Apple want to go there?

MattyMac
Jan 17, 2007, 10:27 PM
Hopefully the price won't be nearly as much as the iPhone...since I will have to buy both if it comes out:rolleyes:

The *ohhhhhh awwwwww* factor won't be that great either since we've pretty much already seen the fullscreen iPod in the iPhone. However I will most likely still be buying one:D

mi5moav
Jan 17, 2007, 10:28 PM
Let's hope something else pops up before june. I still don't believe the AppleTV is number #1 at the Apple store.

Also why is this site using Apple's eWorld icons. Are we allowed to use Apple trademarks and icons on our sites???

http://bango.com/Default.aspx is this an apple owned site????

RollTide
Jan 17, 2007, 10:38 PM
I would happily pay $300 for widescreen, wifi, mini osx ipod. Put that student discount to use.:D

May of already been addressed, but with no touch screen, how could you navigate? hmm

ShiggyMiyamoto
Jan 17, 2007, 10:42 PM
True Video iPod: HELL YAH! I have a 3g iPod that my mother uses, and then a few years ago I got a 4g 40 GB, but that died since I used it heavily... I'm using my dad's old 1st gen Mini (it was starting to mess up so he got himself a 1st gen Nano), but 4GB sux. I really hope these new HDD based Video iPods aren't as easy to damage/destroy as the current ones @_@!

Tablet Mac: Doesn't one already exist? I mean I know it's not Apple-branded, but Axiotron and Other World Computing made one out of the MacBook and is the only one on the market at the moment (as of MacWorld SF). If you're talking about something different, feel free to clarify.

D34th
Jan 17, 2007, 10:44 PM

I've been holding out my 3rd Gen iPod for a full screen one...

ShiggyMiyamoto
Jan 17, 2007, 10:47 PM
I would happily pay $300 for widescreen, wifi, mini osx ipod. Put that student discount to use.:D

May of already been addressed, but with no touch screen, how could you navigate? hmm

I'm too lazy to read the entire thread. Where was it said that there's no touch screen?

Anonymous Freak
Jan 17, 2007, 10:48 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)
The final iPod design is expected to feature a similar display to the iPhone (which some have noted is not true widescreen ratio (http://news.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,39029678,49286986,00.htm)) and also include 80GB and 100GB capacities.

Sorry, but the iPhone *IS* widescreen. Just because it's not the same aspect ratio as HDTV doesn't make it not widescreen.

Some numbers:

'conventional' 17" LCD computer screens: 1280x1024, 5:4 aspect ratio, 1.2:1
conventional TVs and non-wide computer displays: 640x480-1600x1200, 4:3 aspect ratio, 1.33:1
The iPhone (And all of Apple's 15" PowerBooks, from the original Titanium to the high-resolution one right before the MacBook Pro:) 480x320-1440x960, 3:2 aspect ratio, 1.5:1
All of Apple's other widescreen displays, MacBook to 30" Cinema: 1280x800-2540x1600, 8:5 (aka 16:10) aspect ratio, 1.6:1
HDTV: 848x480-1920x1080, 16:9 aspect ratio, 1.77:1
Motion Pictures: Varying ratios, the widest common one being 2.35:1

So the iPhone is just as wide (ratio-wise,) as the original 'widescreen' 15" PowerBook G4, whose 1152x768 resolution was replaced by 1280x854 then 1440x960 before the MacBook Pro came out. Not the comparison on the middle resolution to the 'standard' 1280x800 of the MacBook, or the high resolution to the 1440x900 of the MacBook Pro. Also note that the 17" PowerBook G4 used the more standard 16:10 ratio for both of its incarnations, (1440x900 and 1680x1050) and carried over to the 17" MacBook Pro.

Just because it isn't as 'wide' as HDTV doesn't mean it's not 'widescreen'. One could make the same argument, therefore, of all of Apple's widescreen displays, since they are all 'taller' in ratio than HDTV.

SactoGuy18
Jan 17, 2007, 10:49 PM
It seems that my guess about the true video iPod sporting:

1) 16:10 aspect ratio display

2) Touchscreen controls

3) 80 or 120 GB hard disk storage on device

Might be closer to the truth than most people think. :)

ShiggyMiyamoto
Jan 17, 2007, 10:52 PM
The first is the full screen video iPod which has been long rumored. The final iPod design is expected to feature a similar display to the iPhone (which some have noted is not true widescreen ratio) and also include 80GB and 100GB capacities. The video iPod is reportedly ready and due to ship before the iPhone's June release.

That to me says since it'll basically be an iPhone without the phone functions that it SHOULD have touch controls... We'll have to wait and see. I too would gladly pay $300 or $400 for one.

jwiener
Jan 17, 2007, 10:52 PM
I would really love a true 6G ipod. I've had a nano since it was released. Before that, i had the 2G 20gb... that was one of the ones with the battery problems. Of course I didn't know about the class action suit until it was too late... My nano's screen died because i dropped it :( and i don't want to drop the $100 to fix it.

I will get a full screen video ipod the moment they are released. THE MOMENT!

I also really really really hope it has wifi support for wireless syncing with itunes. It should be easy to implement with the computer-to-computer networking capability already in os x. Maybe there's a barrier that's keeping them from implementing it and they're waiting for Leopard.

The icing on the cake would be the ability to use all the iPhone's web features on the iPod over a wifi network. Safari and google maps on my ipod from the comfort of my couch... that would be the life... But i'll take wireless syncing and 100GB...

I CAN'T WAIT

Xavier
Jan 17, 2007, 10:54 PM
Getting close to those hand held documents in star trek.

You know those touch screen things?

jwiener
Jan 17, 2007, 10:57 PM
Haha yes!!!! The PADDs!

I feel like we have technology that does more than they do. If the ipod has wifi and internet, then it will do more than the PADD did.

I think the PADD just accessed the ship's main computer...

wow... I sound like a nerd...

anyone have the specs on a starfleet issue PADD??

ibook30
Jan 17, 2007, 11:01 PM

My question too, but this sounds really good ! Before I get excited though, anyone know what kind of record macscoop has on rumors to reality???

I'd love an ipod or tablet that I can control all of my media and machines with (I'm thinking of a previous news item about a patent that suggested this kinda device...). A remote control for my tech stuff.

MacRumoron
Jan 17, 2007, 11:01 PM
please be true.. i want to upgrade from my 3rd gen ipod :)

Danksi
Jan 17, 2007, 11:03 PM
Yep, Apple could throw in an I.R port on to the iPhone or iTablet and build the software. IR ports are cheap. The software to build would be more expensive ( i.e., you have to pay the developers ) ... but it would be a good additional functionality. Or, of course, a completely new device - but would Apple want to go there?

Hey Stella, haven't seen you on here for a while...:)

I'm sure I saw an IR port on the iPhone, a typical little black window at least, in one of the MANY pics of the bloody thing.

I'm looking forward to either a reasonably priced iPod Widescreen (~CDN$399) or perhaps more likely a refurb'd 80Gb 5.5G (only 60Gb's available at the moment) - just in time for our summer camping trips! :D

macfan881
Jan 17, 2007, 11:06 PM
actaully id think it be cool to actaully edit your calender info on your ipod i would use that for work cause my callender on my phone is such a pain to use but i love ical so much better and would be nice to post my schedule onto my ipod and if a ipod came with the same featurs the ipod part of the iphone had i think you can put the nail in the coffin for zune ;)

gugy
Jan 17, 2007, 11:07 PM
please be true.. i want to upgrade from my 3rd gen ipod :)

please be true.. i want to upgrade from my 1rst gen ipod :)

TheBobcat
Jan 17, 2007, 11:15 PM
I mean seriously, can anyone not see the Widescreen video iPod with touch controls coming?

Predicting that is like saying that Apple will be releasing a new OS after Leopard. You don't know for sure, but you'd have to be an /r/-tard to not figure it out on your own.

The R&D is done, the product already exists, swap out the phone stuff, put in an HDD (60/80/120GB), paint that biatch white, and there you go.

The Mac tablet, well, I think that's going to be rolled out with the new Newton and the Powerbook G5, probably sometime Tuesday.

EDIT: 100 POSTS! w00t!

debrey
Jan 17, 2007, 11:17 PM
I don't think Apple should be waiting for the tablet market to mature. They should be the driving force behind it maturing.

MrCrowbar
Jan 17, 2007, 11:36 PM
Very cool if they include the sensing pixels camera thing so you can scan documents in. I have been saying this for a long time. You do this, you own the educational market.

OMG, I did not even think about the light sensing pixels this way. Flatbed scanner and touch-display at the same time. The light sensing could be use to track your fingers too (why not?) so you can use all ten of them. That would be exactly the same as the NYU project Multi-Touch, but without the camera and projector: it's all in the screen. For scanning documents, the screen would have to light up all the way I guess to illuminate the document.

Imagine: you got a note or a page of a book on an old-school piece op paper, open Grab, put the note on the display, scan, export as PDF with Font recognition (or not).
For now, I use photobooth and the iSight to make quick pics of documents and post-its. Drag it to iCal to make a reminder, done.

puuukeey
Jan 17, 2007, 11:44 PM
JEFF HAN BOARD!

sheesh how many more hits does his site need to get?

Philberttheduck
Jan 17, 2007, 11:45 PM
Mac Tablet will be expensive as hell. If Apple is smart, they should incorporate all the stuff listed in this thread (yeah, right). I mean, look at the UMPC. It's hard to blame them for the expensive tags, but bottom line is they're expensive. (And before you flame me for saying it was also overhyped, just realize that that is not my point)

Full(screen!? why not an actual 16:9 widescreen.) Video iPod is hopefully going to be the answer to all our prayers. I think they can actually release the video ipod without an event. i mean, it'll probably be the same as the iphone, just thicker and no extra features.

twoodcc
Jan 17, 2007, 11:49 PM
iPod: Cool

yep, that about sums it up :)

let's hope these things start shipping soon...i mean Apple needs to release something....anything....

AppleIntelRock
Jan 17, 2007, 11:55 PM
I think they can actually release the video ipod without an event. i mean, it'll probably be the same as the iphone, just thicker and no extra features.

Agreed. I remember the iMac G5 intro video, perhaps something similar to that for the iPod.

blueflame
Jan 18, 2007, 12:15 AM
did anyone see the movie "The Island" with scarlet and ewan? remember the doctors desk that he passes notes around, and pictures and file wahtnot. I believe.
A

liberty4all
Jan 18, 2007, 12:23 AM
Looks like the iPhone is Samsung ARM based...

See:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/11/iphone-powered-by-samsung-not-intel/

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture#The_cores

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Limited#Processors

mahonmeister
Jan 18, 2007, 01:00 AM
I don't think Apple should be waiting for the tablet market to mature. They should be the driving force behind it maturing.

Well said. That would be a very "Apple" thing to do now wouldn't it.:)

I really hope this widescreen video iPod comes sometime soon, hopefully at the $350 or $400 mark.

MacinDoc
Jan 18, 2007, 01:06 AM
I mean seriously, can anyone not see the Widescreen video iPod with touch controls coming?

Predicting that is like saying that Apple will be releasing a new OS after Leopard. You don't know for sure, but you'd have to be an /r/-tard to not figure it out on your own.

The R&D is done, the product already exists, swap out the phone stuff, put in an HDD (60/80/120GB), paint that biatch white, and there you go.
Yes, the only question is when. With Apple's conservative estimates for the next quarter, I think a May release is likely, or at least some time between the end of the current fiscal quarter and the launch of the iPhone.

The only other question is whether the form factor will copy the iPhone, or go with a true widescreen aspect ratio instead.

As SJ said, "stay tuned"...

Doctor Q
Jan 18, 2007, 01:08 AM
My question too, but this sounds really good ! Before I get excited though, anyone know what kind of record macscoop has on rumors to reality???
As you'll see in Macworld San Francisco 2007 Rumor Wrapup: Winners and Losers (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070116002632.shtml), MacScoop correctly predicted that iLife and iWork would not be ready for Macworld, but incorrectly predicted that an iLife preview would be shown.

balamw
Jan 18, 2007, 01:15 AM
They've said it a million times Tablet PCs are not at all in demand.
Windows based tablets and UMPCs have not been in demand because the stupid things cost 3-5 times as much as a low end notebook, typically around $1.5 to $2K. A $900-$1200 tablet might find a decent niche. Similarly, since UMPCs tend to be around $1K a $700 UMPC like device would have a chance.

And before you say that Apple is too expensive, the MacBook is a great example of a small thin PC that would generally have commanded a premium price in the $2K neighborhood from the likes of Sony.

B

brandon6684
Jan 18, 2007, 01:46 AM
Hopefully this tablet is less like a Windows tablet PC and more like the iPhone without the phone, kind of in the same vein as Nokia's tablet.

sikkinixx
Jan 18, 2007, 01:49 AM

!

I wholeheartedly concur.

Get that ma out the fudgin door so i can buy it.

Bonte
Jan 18, 2007, 01:57 AM
I'm pretty sure the multi-touch in the phone isn't stylus compatible... That doesn't bode well for a tablet unless they're using a completely different screen technology...

A stylus or a fingernail don't work on the iPhone, only naked fingers. Other devices like the tablet will probably work the same but i'm sure a compatible iPhone stylus is in the works somewhere. Pure genius to start off with 100% finger touch input.

Metatron
Jan 18, 2007, 01:58 AM
Sound great, would love to have a tablet for taking notes, etc. Finally, Inkwell put to use...

JackAxe
Jan 18, 2007, 02:42 AM
All I want, is an Apple tablet with an Intuous 3 level Wacom tech. :)

I wonder if cNet spent the time to point out that the Zune's supposed widescreen, is the same aspect ratio as the video iPod? :rolleyes:

Anyway, since the phone isn't an option for me, I certainly will be buying one of these new iPods. I just hope Apple will allow us to import our own Widgets. :(

<]=)

mixel
Jan 18, 2007, 02:44 AM
I'm sure there is a lot of demand for a tablet mac if it's done properly and it's affordable. If it runs mini-osX though I wonder what it's capable of.. Main reason I'd want a tablet mac is for apps like photoshop.. Which likely won't run at all on the new Os - especially if the Tablet mac ends up being ARM based too.

Strange goings on..

Mr Ikasu
Jan 18, 2007, 03:33 AM
Certainly seems likely they will release this soon.

I am in the UK and need something to replace my 20GB 4G as soon as I can.
A full video iPod would be perfect until the iPhone is released and would still offer something very different in terms of letting me have all my media with me instead of just a choice sample.

Here's hoping we get it soon, after all the current iPod hasn't *really* been updated for over a year.

BillyShears
Jan 18, 2007, 03:46 AM
Re: iPod
I think we could figure out roughly what features would be included if we knew approximately how big the cell phone parts in the iPhone were.

Would the cell phone functionality take up as much space as the difference between an 8GB flash drive and an 100GB hard drive? What about the wireless card?

I wouldn't be (particularly) interested in watching movies on the "full screen" iPod, but I'd be very interested in using to surf around the net, check emails, etc while at home.

Re: Tablet

I'd be curious to see what they come up with. It sounds to me like if they are using the "mini" OS X, this would be unlike any tablet PC we've seen. It would be more along the lines of an oversized iPhone than a full-fledged PC that just happens to have a touchscreen.

I like that idea.

Why would you need to run all the apps available in OS X for a tablet? For the education market, this would be something you carry along to class, not a desktop replacement. This also explains the docking station. You take it home, plug it in, and it syncs your notes up.

This would also probably keep the costs down. It wouldn't need super fast processors, fast audio/video cards, DVD drive, keyboard, trackpad.

The form factor would be curious. I'd expect it to be much smaller than current tablets. I'd also hope it would be mostly operable by fingers (a la iPhone), but I imagine it would need a stylus of some sort to input text. (Typing notes for 3 hours would be excruciating on a flat touchscreen.)

darwen
Jan 18, 2007, 03:46 AM
January 1, 2008 is a tuesday...... :)

I can dream cant I?

The Scotsman
Jan 18, 2007, 04:46 AM
Does anyone like me think that releasing the iPod before the iPhone would have a bad effect on the sales of iPhones.

I have been following closely the rumors of a true widescreen video iPod and last novemebr they died to be replaced by iPhone rumors. Fair enough I start to get excited about this. The iPhone gets released and it certainly is a nice piece of kit but I fail to see the point of it as it does not replace a high capacity ipod as after OS and formatting issues a 8gb model will only have 7 gb of free space when you get it. I record tv shows from my eyetv on my imac and watch missed episodes on my lunch break.

In a roundabout way what I am saying is buy an iPhone you still have to carry a high capacity iPod if you are a high capacity user. Launch a video iPod and all those people who were going to buy the iPhone on the pure bling factor will no doubt be satisfied by a high capacity true video iPod. Therefore dropping your potential sales for release week of the iPhone.

EagerDragon
Jan 18, 2007, 04:49 AM
Looking forward to the tablet.

Poff
Jan 18, 2007, 05:07 AM
Steve jobs DID SAY the iPhone WAS the fullscreen iPod..

Mr. Man
Jan 18, 2007, 05:27 AM
that would be great 8GB on the phone is not nearley enough for me!

i think it should have a camera and a virtual clickweel aswell, that would be great

MacVault
Jan 18, 2007, 05:53 AM
And the two biggest rumors begin once again! A real iPod video is pretty much a given before Christmas this year. But the Mac tablet not until 2008? That seems so far away. :(

Seems like we've all been waiting for these things to show up before the last "Christmas". Now we might have to wait another whole year till just before next Christmas? What gives!? WTF!?

bigmc6000
Jan 18, 2007, 06:56 AM
a 16:9 aspect ratio screen doesn't not remove the black bars from movies. Most movies are in the 1.9+ aspect ratio world so I think that article might want to point that out. I've got a 16:9 HD TV and have yet to watch a DVD that didn't have at least some letterboxing...

Causing even mroe problems is the fact that movie aspect ratios aren't standard. They very from film to film (maybe distribution company to distribution company) so it's relatively impossible to create a screen that can play any movie without at least some letterboxing...

Rychiar
Jan 18, 2007, 07:02 AM
The iPhone effectively kills any need for a tablet or in my case even a laptop. I thought that was the whole point was to show the industry how to properly make a tablet/smartphone after those clunkers that came out running windows last year that nobody bought. The iPhone has the funtionality to do all the media stuff and surf the web and its a size people can actually carry around in ther pocket. I see no need for a big clunky tablet unless as the rumor stated its used researh and education markets and not a consumer product.

As for the video iPod it drives me crazy that it couldnt just be the phone. These hard drives have gotten so small and based on all the fall my iPod Photo has taken they are durable as hell. I don't see why they couldn't slap 100 gigs in the phone and have it be the greatest thing they ever made. Cus once they come out with the iPod were just gonna once again be carryin 2 devices

cecildk9999
Jan 18, 2007, 07:11 AM
I have no idea about the release of a tablet, but I can't see a widescreen iPod coming before fall at least. I know the iPhone does more than just music, but releasing a new iPod that has the multi-touch features before the phone may just convince a lot of people sitting on the fence about buying an iphone to go with the ipod instead (in a sort of 'do I really need all the extra features in a phone?' mindset). I hate to say it, but I think a fair few of us (who can't afford or don't want to switch) are suffering from some iphone envy, and would like a nice consolation prize. I know I'd buy one. :)

Leoff
Jan 18, 2007, 07:34 AM
The iPhone effectively kills any need for a tablet or in my case even a laptop. I see no need for a big clunky tablet unless as the rumor stated its used researh and education markets and not a consumer product.

As for the video iPod it drives me crazy that it couldnt just be the phone. These hard drives have gotten so small and based on all the fall my iPod Photo has taken they are durable as hell. I don't see why they couldn't slap 100 gigs in the phone and have it be the greatest thing they ever made. Cus once they come out with the iPod were just gonna once again be carryin 2 devices

Well, there's this one small problem: what is perfect for you isn't perfect for most others.

Typically a tablet is going to be much bigger in size. Not HUGE, but definitely bigger than the iPhone's surface. Not to mention, a tablet is almost certainly going to require the use of a stylus of some sort. People are just used to writing some things...

As for your idea of why they couldn't slap 100 gigs in the phone? A tiny little thing called price comes to mind...

harmless
Jan 18, 2007, 07:48 AM
> including a "jaw-dropping" device not due to hit the market until 2008.

You mean, like an iPhone *with* 3rd party support? :p

Maccus Aurelius
Jan 18, 2007, 07:48 AM
I certainly don't want a "widescreen" ipod, because I watch television shows on it more than I watch movies. I don't mind having widescreen films enveloped while television shows occupy the screen completely. I dunno, maybe I'm alone on this. I actually don't want a touch screen either. How well would a full touch screen iPod handle games? I'd prefer to see the clickwheel keep going for a while longer, because I've always detested an overabundance of touch controls. With the clickwheel it feels intuitive, because I can control certain functions without having to look at the machine, which doesn't seem possible with a touch screen.

direzz
Jan 18, 2007, 07:54 AM
i dont know whats taking apple so long to get this widescreen ipod out. was at best bu a few days ago, and there is tons of models out that are widescreen.. or full screen and cover the whole front of the device.. even *gasp* the zune has a slightly larger screen and can be used for widesceen.

honestly apple. WHAT GIVES?

if they can make a phone widescreen they can surely make an ipod widescreen.
i want one!!

Detlev_73
Jan 18, 2007, 07:59 AM
You know, folks: first an iPod is released that does video: it's not a "true video iPod", because the screen is not "big enough".

Then, the iPhone is released: it's not "true widescreen" because the ratio is not EXACTLY 16:9.

Then, rumors seem more plausible that a "true video iPod" is in the endstage for product deployment plausible, but folks STILL complain and find fault in products.

I want a 16 gb Nano, but I don't whine and complain 24/7.

Folks need to grow up and be fricking adults. :mad:

Evangelion
Jan 18, 2007, 08:32 AM

He said that it's "A fullscreen iPod", not "THE fullscreen iPod".

Poff
Jan 18, 2007, 08:38 AM
He said that it's "A fullscreen iPod", not "THE fullscreen iPod".

Hehe. :) Thanks for putting a smile on my face. :D

freeny
Jan 18, 2007, 08:47 AM
I don't know how I would decide between an iPhone and an iPod that both used Multitouch.

Ask yourself these two questions,
1- Do I need to make a phone call?
2- Do I need more then 8GB (im sure its much less in reality) of space for my movies?

I answered yes to both so it looks like I will most likely be getting both.
So much for the running theory that a true iPod video will cannibalize the iPhone market.:rolleyes:

TenaciousPZ
Jan 18, 2007, 08:48 AM
ARGG!

WTF?! I'm not exactly poor, but I don't have the money to keep up! A New iPod?! COME ON!!!!! We just did the new iPod thing....Can't it stay that way for at least a year!?

I currently have 2 iPods... An original firewire iPod that was pre-ordered in 2001 :) (still fully functioning, original battery)

And I held out with that one for what felt like a long time and alot of iPod models, 5 gens, minis, nanos, shuffles, etc.

Then finally, when the whole line was redone at the end of 2006, I said ok time to step it up finally. Bought a new 80 gig iPod. I enjoy the video though rarely have time to use it. Now there will be ANOTHER iPod, even better than the one I just bought?! Really really not fair.

A Tablet sounds fantastic though. Then again I just bought a MacBook Pro in the last year as well, and you know the tablet specs will be equal to or less than that edition of MBP.

bommai
Jan 18, 2007, 08:49 AM

Also, many people may not have a need for all the features that come in a cell phone. I don't even have a cell phone. My wife uses our only cell phone. However, I would not be against buying a true video iPod if the price is right. It will be nice if it had wifi though :-)

balamw
Jan 18, 2007, 08:50 AM
even *gasp* the zune has a slightly larger screen and can be used for widesceen.
For the umpteenth time the screen on the Zune is the exact same 320x240 resolution and aspect ratio as the screen on the 5.5G. it's oriented vertically instead of horizontally, but that doesn't make it any more suited for widescreen than the current iPods.

B

4np
Jan 18, 2007, 08:50 AM
...Before that, i had the 2G 20gb... that was one of the ones with the battery problems. ...

Still have it and use it daily. No problems whatsoever and I replaced the battery last year...

But... as soon as the full screen iPod comes out I'm getting it ;) Hopefully it will feature WiFi and bluetooth as well...

elcerrito494
Jan 18, 2007, 08:51 AM
I cant WAIT for the widescreen iPods to come out! [So I can buy a 5.5G 80G:p ]

I actually like the current iPods a lot, and unless the new ipod has a virtual clickwheel and SUBSTANTIALLY better battery life, I see no point.

freeny
Jan 18, 2007, 08:58 AM
I want a 16 gb Nano, but I don't whine and complain 24/7.

:rolleyes:
My favorite quote of the week.

Rocketman
Jan 18, 2007, 09:18 AM
There is going to be a large cross-section of "prospects" for iPhone, folks who can readily afford it and generally want one, who will not be getting one because they are locked into a phone plan and to activate the phone aspect of ATN (iPhone) will have to commit to a new, yet another, $60-80 per month data plan!

Only people with way too much money will not have to make this tradeoff.

Then there are folks who just cannot afford the $60-80 per month or hate to pay it.

These folks who cannot switch plans, cannot afford a plan, or for that matter have no local access to a plan, will still want the remaining functionality of the ATN.

Apple will therefore offer a ATN version for these folks.

Rocketman

berkleeboy210
Jan 18, 2007, 09:20 AM
Sure the iPhone looks sweet and all, but if this Full Video iPod comes out beforehand, I might buy this instead.

Phobophobia
Jan 18, 2007, 09:26 AM
The iPod brand would look terrible in comparison to iPhone if it didn't also get a touch screen. I think Apple is aware of this.

awhitaker
Jan 18, 2007, 09:48 AM
If they just removed the phone capabilities and put in a bigger hard drive, I would so want one. I would love to be able to browse the internet via wifi on an ipod.

As far as the iphone goes, you think it would be possible to connect your ipod to it and view movies from your ipod through the iphones screen? Seems possible. It is cumbersome but at the same time, it would boost the iphones hardrive by allowing it to sync to your ipod. Just need a female to female ipod/iphone cord and the software loaded on the iphone.

ToddW
Jan 18, 2007, 09:57 AM
all i'm saying is that the "true" video ipod better have some good battery life!

MattG
Jan 18, 2007, 09:59 AM
Widescreen video iPod...now please, Steve :)

scu
Jan 18, 2007, 10:17 AM
Personally I would wait for the iPhone. The video iPod is nice, but I would rather have an iPhone that I could use for internet, messaging, and of course phone calls. I just don't see Apple coming out with a video iPod prior to the phone, unless there is a serious drop in iPod sales and they need boost them with an video iPod.

Rychiar
Jan 18, 2007, 10:52 AM
who's bitching about not wanting widescreen so TV shows will fit the screen? Almost all TV shows curently broadcasting that aren't cartoons are widescreen:p

gugy
Jan 18, 2007, 10:52 AM
Personally I would wait for the iPhone. The video iPod is nice, but I would rather have an iPhone that I could use for internet, messaging, and of course phone calls. I just don't see Apple coming out with a video iPod prior to the phone, unless there is a serious drop in iPod sales and they need boost them with an video iPod.

Interesting, I am the totally opposite of you. I love the iPhone, but with Cingular, small HD capacity and the price tag it doesn't look that good to me.
I rather have a a widescreen iPod, with 120gig, contact info and keep the way you connect to a digi camera on the field and then I am sold. I'll buy a regular phone and keep my Verizon account (because I can get good reception) and be a happy camper. Carry all my music, videos, photos, data and contacts in one small package.

Object-X
Jan 18, 2007, 10:55 AM
I hope the rumors are true. It would mean that with Apple's increasing poplularity they need to diverify their product offerings. Not everyone will want a phone, but some might want a wide screen iPod. Some might like a super lite MacBook others a tablet. Some folks just don't like white, how about an all-one Mac Pro with a metal enclosure? Or a mid-range tower? I think Apple's offerings are too limited right now. It certainly seems plausible for them to add to their product offering without overly complicating it.

darwen
Jan 18, 2007, 10:56 AM

Nope. He said it was a fullscreen iPod if I remember correctly.

Object-X
Jan 18, 2007, 11:01 AM
Interesting, I am the totally opposite of you. I love the iPhone, but with Cingular, small HD capacity and the price tag it doesn't look that good to me.
I rather have a a widescreen iPod, with 120gig, contact info and keep the way you connect to a digi camera on the field and then I am sold. I'll buy a regular phone and keep my Verizon account (because I can get good reception) and be a happy camper. Carry all my music, videos, photos, data and contacts in one small package.

I'm sure you're not alone, but I think Scu's point is that for Apple to release a wide screen iPod before the iPhone would take from the impact of the iPhone's release. Maybe not yourself, but a lot of people would vasicalte between buying the new iPod or waiting for the phone.

It's pretty clear that the iPhone is the more important product for Apple. I doubt they would risk crippling it's sales by offering another product before it's launch that could impact the early sales numbers. After it's out there and people who haven't bought into the iPhone will be clamoring for a wide screen iPod. Apple will release one in time for the holidays. My .02 prediction.

puuukeey
Jan 18, 2007, 11:05 AM
Anyone saying there is no demand for a tablet doesn't get it.

multi touch is not a tablet.

Tablets are for writing
multi touch can top a mouse and keys for everything OTHER than finite pointing and typing words.

it wont just change the way we interact with computers, it will change the nature of the software.

Rocketman
Jan 18, 2007, 11:08 AM
Anyone saying there is no demand for a tablet doesn't get it.

multi touch is not a tablet.

Tablets are for writing
multi touch can top a mouse and keys for everything OTHER than finite pointing and typing words.

it wont just change the way we interact with computers, it will change the nature of the software.

So does the new aftermarket tablet solve about 70% of the market need for a "full size" tablet?

Rocketman

kuebby
Jan 18, 2007, 11:16 AM
This has me really excited, I'll definitely be watching the Super Bowl now.

In response to people who think that this would hurt iPhone sales, I disagree. There are a few types of people out there. People who want everything in one device, they will be the ones buying the iPhone. But there are only 58 million Cingular customers, but there are over 100 million iPod owners, there is some overlap, but a lot of different market.

RodThePlod
Jan 18, 2007, 11:16 AM
If they just removed the phone capabilities and put in a bigger hard drive, I would so want one. I would love to be able to browse the internet via wifi on an ipod.

This is what I'm also hoping for - just replace the phone with bigger storage. The iPhone will/should always have way smaller storage space than the iPod just to keep the 'feature sets' of the two product families separate.

Sure, there'll always be a slight overlap in features, but that's no different than what we're used to with the current shuffle/nano/ipod range. Replacing the existing 5.5 gen iPod with the 6 gen and adding the iPhone to range ensures that 99% of potential customers will be able to get the iDevice that they need.

:)

RodC

gugy
Jan 18, 2007, 11:17 AM
I'm sure you're not alone, but I think Scu's point is that for Apple to release a wide screen iPod before the iPhone would take from the impact of the iPhone's release. Maybe not yourself, but a lot of people would vasicalte between buying the new iPod or waiting for the phone.

It's pretty clear that the iPhone is the more important product for Apple. I doubt they would risk crippling it's sales by offering another product before it's launch that could impact the early sales numbers. After it's out there and people who haven't bought into the iPhone will be clamoring for a wide screen iPod. Apple will release one in time for the holidays. My .02 prediction.

it's true, very possible. At the other hand the sales of the current video iPod (5g) will halt because the prospect of the widescreen coming is very tempting, so people will wait. Interesting times ahead.

Digitalclips
Jan 18, 2007, 11:36 AM

Mmmm, same here. Oh I know, I get iPod and the wife get's the iPhone... easy. :)

vi2867
Jan 18, 2007, 11:51 AM
That's what I was thinking...

After looking at the iPhone, it just makes my Video iPod look old. The current Video iPod is over a year old and has had a small upgrade. Apple is going to have to discontinue it or upgrade it to the touchscreen. I don't think they are going to discontinue the phoneless iPod, when it takes up about 75% of the music player market. I really believe they did not release the full screen ipod because Steve could get all the Movie companies available on iTunes. He really wants to make it a great experience, and a reason to probably sell it at about 399 for 80GB and 499 100GB...

Maybe in April they will announce the touchscreen iPod with wifi and bluetooth only. No phone or camera...

This would be great, and I would buy it in a snap. I really don't like Cingular and it does not work well where I live...:(

psychofreak
Jan 18, 2007, 12:00 PM

Student discount no longer applies to the iPod...

Rocketman
Jan 18, 2007, 12:02 PM
People have been commenting on the "high price and margins" of the iPhone. I wonder if this means there will be a deal where Cingular charges LESS for data services if you buy an iPhone (ATN), Right now Apple is the price leader in the smart MP3 market (Zune culd not beat the price). Apple MacBooks are very low price, very fully featured laptops, with what many consider the best OS, AND access to low cost helper apps and low cost software updates. All with higher quality than class components.

So if iPhone (ATN) follows in this trend, and with a target of 10,000,000 untis in the first full year, why not? It seems there is a piece of the puzzle that has not been announced yet. Either they will offer more value added features or lower monthly cost plans, or both, or both and a third set of things I have left out.

It is like Apple to price things at the high end of competitive, then pile on the features and benefits to drive sales. On this product you do not have the "Windows PC loyalty" factor to overcome.

Rocketman

gugy
Jan 18, 2007, 12:03 PM
Student discount no longer applies to the iPod...

AppleTV as well...:(

oldwatery
Jan 18, 2007, 12:26 PM

I don't think so.

One has nothing to do with the other.
The iPhone is a phone with music and web capabilities.
The iPod is....well it's the iPod right...nothing gonna mess with this bread winner:D

Multimedia
Jan 18, 2007, 01:02 PM
Just because the iPhone is not truly 16:9 wide is no reason to think the Wide Video iPod won't be. 640x360 is not that hard a res to achieve. That's what I expect anyway. Anything less than a true fraction of my HDTV Screen res will be a big disappointment and I would probably wait for that to get fixed if it starts that way. :)who's bitching about not wanting widescreen so TV shows will fit the screen? Almost all TV shows curently broadcasting that aren't cartoons are widescreen:pNo kidding. I think we have a room full of laggards who don't have a HDTV yet. Once you start watching digital exclusively on a HDTV screen, you realize just how bad SD really is including digital SD. It's quite pathetic really. And once you get used to watching productions in widescreen, 4x3 productions look positively atrocious. I am so glad we are finally near the end of the 4x3 SD era. It will NOT be missed.

I was able to lift a 40" Samsung LN-S4095 out of the box and place it on my desk by myself - 50 pounds. And it cost about $1,000 less than my old 250 pound 36" Sony 4x3 WEGA SOTA XBR Tube did in 2000.

The Grood
Jan 18, 2007, 01:34 PM
With these rumours (whether they're true or not), why would anyone buy a 5.5G iPod right now? :confused:

It suddenly feels very last generation.

Everyone's waiting. Sales must be plummeting.

AlarmDave
Jan 18, 2007, 01:35 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm widescreen Ipod. Maybe it's time for my 2nd gen to accidently fall under the wheel of my car. :D

kugino
Jan 18, 2007, 02:20 PM
the deal killer for me on the iphone is its 8GB drive. i prefer listening to AL files and wouldn't be able to do that on the iphone...i think it's a great or at least highly interesting product...and were i in the market for a new phone i would seriously consider it.

but a 100GB full-screen ipod is what i'm waiting for...sold all my ipods (except my shuffle) last year waiting for this thing...and will be first in line to get one if/when it comes out. i figure i can put about 20-30 movies on there as well as a bunch of AL files...yummy!

KindredMAC
Jan 18, 2007, 02:22 PM
40 GB and 100 GB Hard Drive models
"Widescreen" Full Screen Touch display (By "Full Screen" I mean that the screen goes from bezel to bezel in all directions, not like the iPhone that only goes bezel to bezel across the width of it.)
WiFi capabilities for syncing with home network to update iPod.
Bluetooth for Apple made Bluetooth head phones.
Accelerometer for being able to turn iPod to watch video or photo content.

I think if you take a lot of the features off of the iPhone and strip it down to the iPod, we could easily see it hit the $249 and $349 price point still.

PodPacker
Jan 18, 2007, 02:25 PM
And before you say that Apple is too expensive, the MacBook is a great example of a small thin PC that would generally have commanded a premium price in the $2K neighborhood from the likes of Sony.

B

The issue is the market demand. A lot of us are hoping that Apple enters the home video console market, but again, as they showed in the keynote, there is such a small market that it would be a waste of time at this stage. Heck I wish they would make a tablet Mac, I'd love it cuz then I cuz use that on the subway to watch my DVDs or videos and have the option to do real work. But I won't hold my breath. Let's see how the ModBook does, is all I can say.

Camui
Jan 18, 2007, 02:36 PM
I highly doubt we'll see the new video iPod before the iPhone. I would be very shocked if we did because it doesn't seem logical. In order for more people to distinguish between the differences, the new video iPod should come after the iPhone has been out for a while.

I should add that I selfishly wish the new video iPod would arrive sooner rather than later.

kugino
Jan 18, 2007, 02:39 PM
I highly doubt we'll see the new video iPod before the iPhone. I would be very shocked if we did because it doesn't seem logical. In order for more people to distinguish between the differences, the new video iPod should come after the iPhone has been out for a while.
i think this is probably correct. while i'd love to have the "true" video ipod before the summer, i doubt that it will come out before the iphone. i hope i'm wrong.

balamw
Jan 18, 2007, 02:57 PM
Just because the iPhone is not truly 16:9 wide is no reason to think the Wide Video iPod won't be. 640x360 is not that hard a res to achieve.
So why not just letterbox it on a 4:3 640x480 screen? This would allow all current iTMS content to be displayed at full resolution.

The issue is the market demand.

Do you think the market demand for the MacBook would be as high as it is if the starting price was $1500 or $1900 instead of $1100? Price is a factor in whether something will succeed or not.

Since the ModBook can't be in the same price league as the MacBook, its demand will always be lower.

I too am not holding my breath, but think that if Apple could release a $1200 tablet between the UMPC and current tablets that it might have a winner.

B

morespce54
Jan 18, 2007, 03:32 PM
they did say there was going to be an apple superbowl ad
atleast i know i read it somewheres / heard it.

i hope the superbowl ad is about leopard or fullscreen video ipod

chances are that it's going to be about The "iBeatlesStore" ;)

morespce54
Jan 18, 2007, 03:46 PM
As for your idea of why they couldn't slap 100 gigs in the phone? A tiny little thing called price comes to mind...

also, a hefty thing called battery...

morespce54
Jan 18, 2007, 03:46 PM

also, a hefty thing called battery...

casik
Jan 18, 2007, 03:54 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but i have a macbook 1.83ghz 60GB HD, and if the new widescreen iPod's are 80gig and 100gig, i am stuck with at least 20gigs i wont' be using... i would love to see an update to the iPod manager that would let you load movies onto your iPod, and delete them from your HD for space purposes, and if you ever needed the file again could pull them off your iPod. 80gigs is a lot for media on a computer, and i would love to see more ability to pull your media off an iPod as well.

jwiener
Jan 18, 2007, 04:49 PM
For me, the small amount of storage in the iPhone is reason enough for me to opt for an HDD based widescreen iPod. Most of us already have a cellphone and an iPod anyway so if it weren't for the price, I would probably get both. (Some people have a big ipod and a nano, right?) At this point, I think the widescreen iPod would serve me better. I have a hard time trusting anything from apple that is revision A. They're really good at working the kinks out of things and coming out with a really incredible Rev. B product. The market overlap that was discussed earlier (58 million cingular subscribers vs 100 million ipod owners) is also a good point. What I'm getting at is that I'm going to keep deluding myself into believing a widescreen iPod will be released before the iPhone in june. I can't upgrade my phone until september anyway... stupid cingular.

dllavaneras
Jan 18, 2007, 05:12 PM
Whenever they come, I'm saving up for both :D

RollTide
Jan 18, 2007, 06:17 PM
How do you explain to your professor that you are just taking a few notes on your ipod? haha can't wait

oldwatery
Jan 18, 2007, 06:30 PM

I should add that I selfishly wish the new video iPod would arrive sooner rather than later.

Not sure I agree.
I think they have to keep the 2 lines very separate.
The capacity is the big issue.....plus video capabilities.
Will one line hurt the other.
Hmmmmm....I doubt it.
I want a large capacity audio and sometimes video player.
But I also want a phone like the iPhone.
I get the impression there are alot of people of a similar mind.
Which comes first .....doesn't matter....to me at least.
just bring em on.....quick:D

Danksi
Jan 18, 2007, 06:54 PM
I see a much larger market for a full-screen video iPod, than the iPhone.

For me, I'm interested in a full-screen music/photo/video iPod, big capacity (100+Gb) and a separate 'simple' small phone, with bluetooth contacts, calendar sync, with lots of battery life and simple controls... in a flip design, with no antenna to stick you one in the groin!

oldwatery
Jan 18, 2007, 07:03 PM
I see a much larger market for a full-screen video iPod, than the iPhone.

For me, I'm interested in a full-screen music/photo/video iPod, big capacity (100+Gb) and a separate 'simple' small phone, with bluetooth contacts, calendar sync, with lots of battery life and simple controls... in a flip design, with no antenna to stick you one in the groin!

Yes.
A simple phone.
What happened to those:rolleyes:

BWhaler
Jan 18, 2007, 07:43 PM
Tablet?

Well, that just proved the rumor is BS.

Plus, there is no way Apple is bring out the WS iPod before the iPhone.

New iPod in Sept. No tablet.

balamw
Jan 18, 2007, 07:48 PM
Tablet?

Well, that just proved the rumor is BS.

Plus, there is no way Apple is bring out the WS iPod before the iPhone.

New iPod in Sept. No tablet.

I agree with you on the iPod, but I'm on the fence on the Tablet, as I think Multi-touch might just be the thing that can make tablets work, if they can keep the cost under $1500.

B

jettredmont
Jan 18, 2007, 08:03 PM
Note that this echoes my observation from the quarterly results call yesterday (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3262464&postcount=69):

- Q: Do you see the iPod and iPhone converging? A: We'll see. The iPod has a broad range of products. We'll talk more as the iPhone gets closer to shipping.

Hmmmm ... seems like more confirmation than we had before that a iPhone-like iPod will be released before or near after the iPhone launch ...

Otherwise, I can't see why we'd "talk more" when the iPhone launches.

Of course, most of us expected the iPhone interface to get into iPods sooner or later. The important bit here and from the results call is that it is likely to happen before the iPhone launch in June!

Multimedia
Jan 18, 2007, 08:49 PM
So why not just letterbox it on a 4:3 640x480 screen? This would allow all current iTMS content to be displayed at full resolution.Because, in future, nothing will be 4x3 and all will be 16x9. So the correct path is to provide a one third the 1920 x 1080 HDTV res 640x360 and have 4x3 appear 480 wide by 360 high with vertical side bars just as it does on all HDTV monitors today. :) Crippling the wide display the way you suggest is to maintain the legacy display system instead of moving into the current state-of-the-art and future always widescreen system. Legacy 4x3 will still be displayed 50% larger than it is on the current Video iPod's 320x240 screen.

lwr32
Jan 19, 2007, 12:07 AM
i really hope apple drops a full screen ipod soon. my 4g click wheel is busted and i'm waiting until then to replace it.

but wouldn't a full screen touch ipod hurt sales of the iphone? it's a different market, but i feel like they'd wait for the buzz to die down on iphone before releasing something else that's awesome.

Fingerprints concern me with the touch screen. I'd hate to have to look through fingerprints.

The touch screen video ipod sounds real cool. I'm told by hubby that if one does come out in the spring I can get one. I don't have a video ipod yet. I still have my 20 gig 3G iPod. I don't know of anyone that has that one anymore. I had a new hd and new battery put in it and it works great. I also have the 1Gen shuffle and the 2Gen Nano. I bought hubby the 2Gen shuffle and case for Christmas. He loves it.

balamw
Jan 19, 2007, 12:25 AM
Because, in future, nothing will be 4x3 and all will be 16x9. So the correct path is to provide a one third the 1920 x 1080 HDTV res 640x360 and have 4x3 appear 480 wide by 360 high with vertical side bars just as it does on all HDTV monitors today.
Good explanation. Half of 720p too, and consistent with the widescreen content currently on iTMS. And even still higher resolution for 4:3 than the iPhone would be.

Sold.

Thought the could still go with a 16:10 screen like all recent Macs. 640x400. Giving a good compromise between 4:3 and 16:9.

B

aricher
Jan 19, 2007, 09:27 AM
Walking the dog this morning I realized why I would be apprehensive to buy a touchscreen-only iPod. It was freezing out, I was wearing gloves and was able to reach into my pocket, click through an album to the song I wanted and raise the volume - all without looking at the iPod. I really hope Apple continues to sell an iPod (other than the shuffle) that I don't need to look at to find a song.

Santeh
Jan 19, 2007, 01:10 PM
i have a nice Newton sticker waiting to go on the back of it ;)

Myself, and my Newton MP 130 sitting next to me, think that is VERY COOL! :D

Always...

Rocketman
Jan 19, 2007, 10:01 PM
Walking the dog this morning I realized why I would be apprehensive to buy a touchscreen-only iPod. It was freezing out, I was wearing gloves and was able to reach into my pocket, click through an album to the song I wanted and raise the volume - all without looking at the iPod. I really hope Apple continues to sell an iPod (other than the shuffle) that I don't need to look at to find a song.

I predicted in a prior thread, a thimble doo-dad to overcome this.

Rocketman

steelfist
Jan 20, 2007, 12:50 AM
for me, as long as i can watch in standard ratio in a resolution larger than 320x240, like, 480x 360, then it will be great.

TenaciousPZ
Jan 20, 2007, 01:16 AM

As a feature, I find this highly unecessary.

In the same way that I can often make phone calls by knowing the order of buttons to push without looking at my phone, i will happily give up that ridiculous milisecond / microeffort saving technique for a frigging iPhone. :eek:

MacinDoc
Jan 20, 2007, 01:47 AM
Have you ever tried typing on a Treo or Blackberry while wearing gloves?

Edit: Actually... (http://www.blackberrycool.com/2006/12/21/003074/)

Anyway, you just need a pair of gloves designed to allow the fingertips to be flipped back.

Remel
Jan 20, 2007, 04:36 AM
I think the wide screen video ipod will be released around Sep/Oct 07 in time to be the big seller for Xmas. There's no point releasing it before the iphone. Apple will first want to get as many people as they can who want a wide screen ipod to buy an iphone instead.

Later on they will release the ipod.

Agathon
Jan 20, 2007, 05:25 AM
I think the wide screen video ipod will be released around Sep/Oct 07 in time to be the big seller for Xmas. There's no point releasing it before the iphone. Apple will first want to get as many people as they can who want a wide screen ipod to buy an iphone instead.

This is really disappointing.

I was hoping for a touchscreen iPod at MacWorld, as my 30GB 5G iPod is now full to the brim and I need a new one to hold all my music and to fit my movies on, since I've started ripping my DVDs to my hard drive (which is not illegal where I live as far as I know, but I paid for them and the law can get stuffed in any case).

So I bought a PSP the other day. I got a really good deal: got the Giga pack for less than people are paying for the value pack.

And now this. :(

Well... at least I can play Grand Theft Auto and Winning Eleven 10 on it.

MacinDoc
Jan 20, 2007, 10:39 AM

I think the full-screen iPod will come sooner than the iPhone. The market is different. As others have suggested, the full-screen iPod will differ from the iPhone in that it will have no phone, no WiFi, no camera, up to 120 GB capacity, and size comparable to the current video iPods.

Why release before the iPhone?

1. The technology exists now and does not require the long FCC approval process that the iPhone must go through.
2. The Zune has gained market share and now accounts for 20% of HD-based MP3 player sales. A full-screen iPod with boosted capacity would destroy the Zune.
3. SJ likes to stay in the spotlight. Apple needs something between the release of Leopard and the iPhone to keep in the tech headlines.
4. It's already been 4 months since the last iPod update, and the average period between updates is 5 months. So the full-screen iPod may come out even before Leopard.

RollTide
Jan 20, 2007, 02:03 PM
What do you guys think of the possibility of a camera in the new ipod? If Apple uses the same case as iphone, it would kind of make sense from a manufacturing stand point. oh well what do I know I just thought it would be cool to have the first wifi video mp3 player :cool:

MacinDoc
Jan 20, 2007, 02:31 PM
What do you guys think of the possibility of a camera in the new ipod? If Apple uses the same case as iphone, it would kind of make sense from a manufacturing stand point. oh well what do I know I just thought it would be cool to have the first wifi video mp3 player :cool:
No, because of cost and to differentiate it from the iPhone.

chameleon
Jan 20, 2007, 10:49 PM
Cool! I thought the iPhone spelt death for any hopes of a True Video iPod, but i guess not.
I go back and forth on this myself.

My first though was -- that kills the full-screen iPod. It would compete with the iPhone, at least for some people.

On the other hand, there's a large percentage of folks that will never buy an iPhone. They have a phone they love. They hate Cingular. They just want an iPod, not a phone, etc. Whatever. On the other hand, they do love the other features of the iPhone, and would buy a widescreen iPod.

I'm still not convinced that Apple would release it before the iPhone. That would certainly canibalize iPhone sales, wouldn't it?

If they do release one, however, I will certainly get one...

Multimedia
Jan 21, 2007, 09:34 PM
I go back and forth on this myself.

My first though was -- that kills the full-screen iPod. It would compete with the iPhone, at least for some people.

On the other hand, there's a large percentage of folks that will never buy an iPhone. They have a phone they love. They hate Cingular. They just want an iPod, not a phone, etc. Whatever. On the other hand, they do love the other features of the iPhone, and would buy a widescreen iPod.

I'm still not convinced that Apple would release it before the iPhone. That would certainly canibalize iPhone sales, wouldn't it?

If they do release one, however, I will certainly get one...I don't see the Widescreen Video iPod as competing with the iPhone because the iPhone has an 8GB storage limit. I expect a 640x360 Widescreen Video iPod with a 100GB HD and the mini Leopard OS X for the same interface as was demonstrated on the iPhone will ship this Spring in advance of the iPhone.

Don't see iPhone as anything that can replace nor substitute for a dedicated audio/video high capacity Widescreen Video iPod. :)

gugy
Jan 22, 2007, 01:21 PM
I feel the same way Multimedia, specially with Apple don't offer wi-fi on the iPod, then we will have two different products for two different things. iPhone for internet, entertainment and communications (of course) and the widescreen iPod for entertainment only.
I think right there is enough differentiation and that would not cannibalize iPhone sales.
I hope it comes prior to June. I can't wait to get one!
I wish at least the contacts is include with the iPod, that way the only thing I need is a regular phone and the iPod.

Sorry, even though I love the iPhone, Cingular, small capacity, 2 years contract and price tag makes the iPhone very unattractive for me at this point.

modul8tr
Jan 23, 2007, 09:03 PM
I wonder if it will have a version of ITMS for downloads over wi-fi?

You could browse and purchase right from the iPod itself.

That would push it further from the iPhone's capabilities.

kymac
Feb 21, 2007, 12:33 AM
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/6262/newyg8.jpg

i was bored and photoshoped this. hope this is the new ipod ..if the new ipod shares a similar interface with the iphone

uv23
Feb 21, 2007, 08:04 AM
I couldn't care less about video on my iPod, but I -- and several of my friends -- are waiting rather impatiently for the next revision, which will hopefully be smaller, with more storage, and perhaps some of the iPhone's tech. It's been ages since the last one and I'm not going to cave.

BoyBach
Feb 21, 2007, 08:15 AM
i was bored and photoshoped this. hope this is the new ipod ..if the new ipod shares a similar interface with the iphone

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the next iPod looks almost exactly like your Photoshop creation. Nice work!

:)

yorkslad
Feb 21, 2007, 10:41 AM
I suspect the new ipods will be aluminium based and coloured to complement the range of nanos and shuffles (yay less scratchiness I hope)

uv23
Feb 21, 2007, 11:34 AM
I'm also hoping for anodized aluminum. My mini is bulletproof. Chrome is so turn of the century.