Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
I've recently wiped my drive. Reset the 60GB drive as follows (numbers are approximate):

55 GB: OSX Partition
5 GB: OS9 Partition

I never want to boot into OS9 again, but there's this horrible program called Quark that I have to fire up once every 3 or 4 months, so...

ANYhoo, my LAST partition setup looked like this:

10 GB: OSX
45 GB: General Data
5 GB: OS9

I liked this last setup. 'Felt' like OSX ran quicker and I've heard on different threads that a small partition for OSX is ideal. Problem is, I'm a gaming slut, and that llittle partition fills up quick with games like Medal of Honor, WolfenHo, Tony Hawk... You get the picture. If I reverted back to this old partition setup, could I install my GAMES on that 45 GB partition and run 'em successfully?

OK> I'm done rambling...

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
there are people who partition their drive then redirect say, your Applications folder to that other drive. you can redirect your Users folder to another partition too.

take a gander at macosxhints.com which has lots of goodies and several topics on this particular idea. specifically here

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
1GB: Swap Disk ~seems to help a little
10GB: Macintosh HD ~OSX and apps
18GB: Junk ~Data, unstable/use occasionally apps, itunes, download Bittorrents and documents.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I have two partitions on both my machines. I have a partition with OS X and the applications etc on it and a second large partition for my files (my ~ directory). I'm an old 'Linux Lag' so I'm used to having different partitions for different things. Note I don't have that nasty OS 9 on any of my machines....;)

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by caveman_uk
I have two partitions on both my machines. I have a partition with OS X and the applications etc on it and a second large partition for my files (my ~ directory). I'm an old 'Linux Lag' so I'm used to having different partitions for different things. Note I don't have that nasty OS 9 on any of my machines....;)

you might like this i'm too lazy and don't care, but it proves OS X is maturing to embrace it's UNIX base more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.