Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Can any Australian members help me out with selecting a broadband provider?

I've just signed up initially with Telstra but looking around, TPG seems to have much better plans for the money.

I'm in and ADSL2+ area so speeds available are pretty high. Thinking about this plan with TPG. Telstra for the same prices is a 24 month contract and 12GB usage caps, which is pretty savage.

Any advice gratefully received. It's so weird knowing jack-all about stuff like this once again :)

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
I swear by Internode. I am sure many would too.

At least they are one of the most highly ranked ISPs around in Australia.

Just checked their site and it doesn't look like I can get ADSL2+ with them unfortunately.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Ow it is a shame :(

You can also try iiNet, I heard they are fairly good as well.

yeah they look good - award winning in fact, but their plans have this weird off peak/peak structure which seems a bit unnecessary. TPG still looks the best in terms of value. Have you heard anything about their service?

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
New South Wales, Australia
Telstra hey? Ouch, I hate them.

Anwyay, iiNet is a good one. My dad has been on them since about 2003 with ADSL, and I have mate on ADSL2 with them with the 24Mbit and iiPhone bundle. Seems to be happy with them.

I don't know if Amcom is in NSW or not, but they're good too and offer ADSL2 at least here in WA.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, I agree that Internode's where it's at. I've got their ADSL2+ plan and love it. It sucks you can't get that where you're at. So long as you steer clear of Telstra, you can't go too far wrong. iiNet would probably give you better service than TPG, but the difference should be negligible. :)

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Ok cheers guys. Actually, the iiNet package at $70 looks a lot better than the Telstra one I was looking at for $90. My flatmate has also said he'd be happy to pay a bit more and get a plan that really covers it, so mayb the $100 for 80GB a month is feasible with them.

Either way, a 12GB cap for $90 with Telstra is really looking like a bad deal. it's half-price for the first 9 months but it's a two-year contract. With iiNet I think it's a year.

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
go here and type in your telephone number
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/
you'll get a list on isp's that fit your specs.

the site is Whirlpool.......AU broadband users forums.

I've been with iinet for a long time.
I'd make sure you can get on ADSL2 before signing up with iinet.
at the moment their ADSL1 deals are not good.

a few other isp's are giving much better deals.
exetel is one that is doing a better deal.
but they might not be in your area.

McNally

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2019
This place will give you a free comparison and tell ya what's best for you're area: https://www.comparebroadband.com.au

I've just signed up initially with Telstra but looking around, TPG seems to have much better plans for the money.

I'm in and ADSL2+ area so speeds available are pretty high. Thinking about this plan with TPG. Telstra for the same prices is a 24 month contract and 12GB usage caps, which is pretty savage.

Any advice gratefully received. It's so weird knowing jack-all about stuff like this once again :)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

Haven't heard of Whirlpool? :)

I was gonna say AussieBroadband, but they no longer do DSL plans anymore. (with the rise of NBN)

https://www.iinet.net.au/internet-products/broadband/plans/?adsl

Last edited:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I’ve used TPG for well over a decade now. Never had any issues, moves were handled easily. Can’t fault them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.