Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I'm wondering if anyone here can recommend a good book or two on digital photography for beginner/intermediate enthusiasts. The book would be for my wife who has gotten into using her Lumix so much over the last year that she may be due for an upgrade already. Something that would explain how best to take various shots, that sort of thing

She's been using iPhoto but has recently complained that it is too limited. She downloaded the trial of aperture but really didn't know what to do with it...

at any rate, some recommendations would be great. The local bookstores don't have anything that looks good and I don't really know what I'm getting from Amazon so...

Thanks!
YT

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Back in the days (OK 4 years ago, when I was still into film), I picked this up:
http://www.amazon.com/Readers-Diges...ef=sr_1_5/102-6470859-8578509?ie=UTF8&s=books
It's straight-forward, and does an excellent job of explaining the basics, and methods for improving your technique. I've also found it to be a useful reference manual as well. The book is mainly focused of film, with a small section on digital (she's actually using OS 9 to arange her digital images), but if you're looking for technique, this one isn't bad. I'm sure there's some better ones out there though.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'm wondering if anyone here can recommend a good book or two on digital photography for beginner/intermediate enthusiasts.

I'm not sure about books- especially with digital in mind (the photography basics are the same as with film)- but Ron Reznick's DVD set is excellent for technique and apparently has some good Photoshop/workflow stuff too. It's about $90, but that's a lot less than most seminars, and he explains a lot about composition as well as the normal stuff.

purelithium

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Kingston, Canada
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding..._bbs_sr_1/002-3837517-4422426?ie=UTF8&s=books

Understanding Exposure - Bryan Peterson

This is one of the most frequently suggested books out there. It explains the triangle of obtaining a perfect exposure- ISO, shutter speed, and Aperture. It is a fantastic book, and has many exercises for you to do so that you can understand what Bryan has written, not just read it on the page.

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
the best thing u can do is play around with f/ stop and shutter speed and all the good stuff

thats how i learned:cool:

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
That won't teach someone about composition, histograms, PP, etc.

Looks like Reznick's DVD set is now $60:

http://www.sureshotsystem.com/about.html

Bottom set is the complete $59.99 package.

Despite the hokey name, it's well-worth the money.

ok ill go with that, but I did read up on composition.. I was just alkin about the essence, ISO, F stop, and shutter speed. It helps to memorize it if you learn it by yourself.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
ok ill go with that, but I did read up on composition.. I was just alkin about the essence, ISO, F stop, and shutter speed. It helps to memorize it if you learn it by yourself.

Oh, there is indeed no substitute for experience, but you can enhance it with learning. You *could* go to art museums, study advertising photos, etc. But you'll spend more in time and might miss things compared to having someone who already knows point it out to you.

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
Oh, there is indeed no substitute for experience, but you can enhance it with learning. You *could* go to art museums, study advertising photos, etc. But you'll spend more in time and might miss things compared to having someone who already knows point it out to you.

lol good point:cool:

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Excellent! Thanks for all the great suggestions. The DVD set sounds good since just today she was bemoaning the fact that she doesn't have time to take a course.

As for experience: she's been using the camera daily for her blog for the last year..but the problem with her approach is that she doesn't want to experiment very much because bad pictures would 'ruin her blog' (sigh). I bought her a book on iPhoto about a year ago and she's just starting to use it now - I figure now is a good time!

YT

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Excellent! Thanks for all the great suggestions. The DVD set sounds good since just today she was bemoaning the fact that she doesn't have time to take a course.

As for experience: she's been using the camera daily for her blog for the last year..but the problem with her approach is that she doesn't want to experiment very much because bad pictures would 'ruin her blog' (sigh). I bought her a book on iPhoto about a year ago and she's just starting to use it now - I figure now is a good time!

YT

Please let us know how she gets on, and what you ended up choosing!

Edit:

Better yet, try to have her blog the experience and point us there...

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Please let us know how she gets on, and what you ended up choosing!

Edit:

Better yet, try to have her blog the experience and point us there...

haha.. sure, though it's in Japanese!

I just ordered the Peterson book on Amazon and over dinner tonight I'm going to see what she thinks of the DVD course. Looks like it's going for a good price right now, so...

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
haha.. sure, though it's in Japanese!

I just ordered the Peterson book on Amazon and over dinner tonight I'm going to see what she thinks of the DVD course. Looks like it's going for a good price right now, so...

Oh, um enpitsu! (Yep, pencil is about the limit of my Japanese!)

What do you call someone who speaks three languages?

Trilingual!

What do you call someone who speaks two languages?

Bilingual!

What do you call someone who speaks one language?

American! :)

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
Oh, um enpitsu! (Yep, pencil is about the limit of my Japanese!)

What do you call someone who speaks three languages?

Trilingual!

What do you call someone who speaks two languages?

Bilingual!

What do you call someone who speaks one language?

American! :)

lol, thanks... Yes i am horrible at Spanish because my teachers suck and cant be fired, Sigh Union :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.