Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Several readers have forwarded an email from Apple promoting the World Wide Developer's Conference next month:

On June 23, WWDC 2003 attendees will be the first to explore the powerful new capabilities of the next major release of Mac OS X, codenamed "Panther." This year's conference is shaping up to be the biggest in Apple's history.

If you want to create products that fully exploit the next generation of innovative technologies from Apple, deliver the most compelling media experiences for your users, or leverage the open source and open standards approach of Apple's server solutions within your enterprise, then you definitely want to be at WWDC.

While such colorful talk should simply be regarded as pre-expo marketing hype... many users are looking to WWDC as a potential launching ground for new technologies from Apple.

Apple has already confirmed that a preview of their next major update to Mac OS X (Panther) will be shown, and many rumors hint that we will see more information regarding IBM's PowerPC 970 from Apple.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
let it come :D
i really hope they will introduce the 970 s..
it s just so important. it they wont. i ll have to buy a g4, sure it s fast enough, but it can never be to fast.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
If they come out with a prototype 970 for the show, it will be in they're interest to get it to market fast. Sales will drop off on the G4s in expectation of something much better.

Most likely they'll do what they've done before - allow you to order a new machine and have to wait a month or two for delivery.

I really hope it all happens.

D

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
After they show it, will there to a preview of the new features on Apple's website, like they had with Jaguar?

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
OK, so what will be new?

Panther,
PPC970 in PowerMacs
secret features in Ipod revealed,
ipot input hardware making it a PDA,
New PowerBook15",
Current G4 Powermac running out

Updates to
isync,
Safari,
ical,
iphoto,
Keynote.

Adobe announces cocoa Port of it's Products for Panther.

Finalcut Pro 4 will finally be released and have 64bit native support.

Panther will finally be able to unmount broken network share connectios without reboot (well ok thats unrealistic)

what else?

nickmcghie

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
UCLA
If LoopRumors is correct that Foxconn has already received shipments of over 90 thousand 970 chips, then hopefully we'll not only see the announcement of new powermacs at WWDC, but that they'll ship soon afterwards!

iJed

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2001
West Sussex, UK
Apple also says in the email: "Don't forget, all WWDC 2003 attendees will receive a preview release of the next major version of Mac OS X, along with post-conference access to sessions online, and a WWDC 2003 Sessions DVD set."

I don't see why Apple cannot include this in the monthly developer mailing for people who cannot go to WWDC. After all they do this with all other client OS releases so why not the preview disk too. You would think Apple would actually want developers to get their software tested and taking advantage of the features in the new OS version.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Adobe announces cocoa Port of it's Products for Panther.
It'll never happen...too easy.
Adobe is a big company, you wont see them split thier windows/mac code base like that. Its the smaller developers who use and leverage cocoa that will bring you your Photoshop Cocoa, even if its not from Adobe....

DharvaBinky

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Lafayette, LA
stand or fall

After reading all the 970 threads for months and months and months now...

people have so much *emotionally* invested in the PPC970 and Apple that if Steve doesn't make stunning announcements at WWDC... it'll be like dropping a tear gas grenade in a crowd of angry rheesus monkeys who'll then start hurling feces at a fleeing iCEO.

:rolleyes:

Dharvabinky

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Well, I've decided to lower my sights, given some of the rumors that are scuttling around. I don't want to get too disappointed if the 970 isn't released.

For a while I was maintaining a balanced optomism. But as more rumors kept coming out, I'm afraid that I really started to buy into it as a given. Now, I'm backing way off. I'd like to get back to that balanced optomism, so I can be happy and excited if the 970 is released, but not overly depressed if it isn't (yet).

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Lets Analyze

If you want to create products that fully exploit the next generation of innovative technologies from Apple,

We will show you more ways to replace Carbon code with Cocoa even though your Carbon app works just fine and can use POSIX code, pthreads, Quartz, Text to Speech, QuickTime without more convoluted Objective-C classes that you would have to write yourself.

...deliver the most compelling media experiences for your users,

Start using QuickTime even though there are no Cocoa frameworks for it, so you must use Carbon despite our desire to push Carbon as deep into the OS as possible. We will also tell you all the gaps in Quartz that must be filled with your hand-rolled code that replicates built-in features of that icky QuickDraw and QuickTime that no one wants to use (that whole Carbon thing). How often do people need to quickly draw shape primitives or drop shadows anyways? Look! We can create bloated PDF files!

or leverage the open source and open standards approach of Apple's server solutions within your enterprise,

We borrowed a whole bunch of UNIX code to short-cut the delivery of the "world's most advanced" OS and created a feature set that, frankly, no one understands how it all works except us so pay attention.

then you definitely want to be at WWDC.

We could really use the money - have you seen our PowerMac sales in the past year or so? The 99 cents per song in iTunes will just pay our electric bills for a few months. We need CASH!

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: Lets Analyze

Originally posted by Sayer
We could really use the money - have you seen our PowerMac sales in the past year or so? The 99 cents per song in iTunes will just pay our electric bills for a few months. We need CASH!

Feeling a little negative toward Apple for some reason?
:rolleyes:

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Re: WWDC Coming...

Originally posted by arn
Several readers have forwarded an email from Apple promoting the World Wide Developer's Conference next month:

[...]

While such colorful talk should simply be regarded as pre-expo marketing hype... many users are looking to WWDC as a potential launching ground for new technologies from Apple.

This letter got my heart beating. Apple has not hyped WWDC like this before, and the phrase "This year's conference is shaping up to be the biggest in Apple's history." is ... well, it means a lot. I'd held my hopes back on WWDC until this point, but when i got that letter from Apple ...

WWDC is going to be big, folks. Just to be clear, that doesn't mean that we get a 15"-screen 970-based tablet Mac that surfs iTMS over WiFi and folds down to a size smaller than the current iPods.

Introducing the 970 here is big: incredibly big. I think that with this amount of hype, the 970 introduction at WWDC is pretty much assured.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by Fukui
It'll never happen...too easy.
Adobe is a big company, you wont see them split thier windows/mac code base like that. Its the smaller developers who use and leverage cocoa that will bring you your Photoshop Cocoa, even if its not from Adobe....

Huh?

A Cocoa port of an application allows you to make it more cross-platform, not less. You don't need to be using the Cocoa API's down in the guts of your program (use Win/Unix common POSIX-ish APIs there instead). Cocoa is great as a UI framework (and Objective C/C++ is a great UI language, but its type-unsafe nature makes it next to impossible to use for a real "workhorse" or complex app!). If Adobe is using Carbon to date they gain OS 9 compatibility, but they also necessarily maintain OS9-specific code fairly deep in their application (as Carbon/OS9 are not POSIX and so share neither the specific API nor even the basic design paradigms with Windows regarding basic building blocks like threads, sockets, and file system IO).

Let me be quite clear here: If you have a cross-platform application and don't need to support OS8/9, Cocoa will save you massive development resources in the fairly short run (and more in the long run). The ONLY reason to be using the Carbon API's is if you need to maintain OS8/9 compatibility, as these are fundamentally different from Windows' paradigms and so difficult to abstract away.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Adobe is not rewriting ANY of their large apps in Cocoa

End of story.

Sheesh all the "What ifs" in the world aren't going to change the Truth. Adobe is not going to rewrite for Cocoa.

3d on a Mac

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2003
NYC
PC970 hurry up

I can't wait for the new machines!!!!!!

I was about to order the dual "buckle your seat belts" 1.42 g4, but decided to wait till Macworld (creative whatever) expo in NY this June.

I set myself up when I bought the first g4 (pci graphics) only to have the agp graphics come out weeks later.

So hurry Apple let us know what going on. My money is burning a hole in my pocket!

3d on a Mac
http://www.geocities.com/ericmooreart

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
If they come out with a prototype 970 for the show, it will be in they're interest to get it to market fast. Sales will drop off on the G4s in expectation of something much better.

Do you really think they could drop off anymore? Anyone who's into the rumors will wait for the next generation machines, and if you're not up on the info, you've got no expectations.

What I'm really hoping for when/if the 970s are released is a Pentium bake-off that doesn't revolve around hand-picked, Alvitec-optimized Photoshop filters. These tests have such a giant wall of cynicism surrounding them (rightfully so), so the new machines need to use some standard benchmarks, preferably ones where the Wintel boxes have normally wiped the floor with our butts.

Combine that with a 10.3 that includes multiple simultaneous log-ins and I'll be impressed... - j

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
or leverage the open source and open standards approach of Apple's server solutions within your enterprise, then you definitely want to be at WWDC.

I wonder if they are including hardware with that comment, and not just OS X Server... ;)

Re: PC970 hurry up

Originally posted by 3d on a Mac
I can't wait for the new machines!!!!!!

I was about to order the dual "buckle your seat belts" 1.42 g4, but decided to wait till Macworld (creative whatever) expo in NY this June.

I set myself up when I bought the first g4 (pci graphics) only to have the agp graphics come out weeks later.

So hurry Apple let us know what going on. My money is burning a hole in my pocket!

3d on a Mac
http://www.geocities.com/ericmooreart

Don't be burned again. New machines are likely to have kinks (turbo-fans, anyone?) and refined versions will follow within a few months.

Buckle your seats for the dual 1.42 g4? Our current crop of machines is more Flintsonesque than Speed Racer relative to the PC world. Let's hope that the Mac's next jump makes the past two years look like a waste of time... - j

chubakka

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
How far apart are...

How far apart are WWDC and the CREATIVEPRO thingamajig in NYC?

3 Weeks.

In terms of getting attention for the WWDC...
a hardware unveiling would do the trick.
And it's totally Apple's show... showing off the
integration of Hardware and Software.

It seems that the Create Expo is focusing more on
solutions and seminars for Creative Pros. The biggest
buyers of PowerMacs.

Which should/would Apple take advantage of?

czman

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2003
bigger hint in an apple press release.

did anyone check the press release about steve jobs keynoting wwdc?

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/may/08wwdc.html

among the usual fluff is has this quote:

"expanded labs with the latest Mac systems where developers can port and test their code and get technical assistance from the Apple engineers directly responsible for the technologies"

PORT and test thier code? port to what? basicly everyone that matters alwredy ported to osX. does this mean port to 64 bits?

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
Re: Re: PC970 hurry up

Originally posted by jayscheuerle

Buckle your seats for the dual 1.42 g4? Our current crop of machines is more Flintsonesque than Speed Racer relative to the PC world. Let's hope that the Mac's next jump makes the past two years look like a waste of time... - j

Quite right. I wouldn't even consider buying a Powermac right now. They are rather slow at almost everything but very special tasks and waaay overpriced for what they offer.

The new machines for the same price will be more tempting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.