Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fresh off the heels of Apple announcing a nearly 30% increase in Mac shipments from the year-ago quarter, research firm IDC has pegged Apple's U.S. market share for the December quarter (Apple's fiscal 1Q 2007) at 4.7%, up 1.1% from 3.6% the year ago quarter.

Apple saw another quarter of very solid growth as the company combined new portable products with strong retail sales and positive press following a successful transition to Intel processors. Worldwide and U.S. shipments were each up roughly 30% year on year. The company also continues to benefit from its music business and new developments such as the iPhone will not only drive more positive press and buyer interest, but further expand the number of people using at least one Apple product who may come into the Apple fold.

While Apple's market share numbers are down from last quarter (Gartner), the fluctuation is likely a seasonal swing. Appleinsider quotes a PiperJaffray analyst who expects Apple's numbers to bounce back once professional customers begin buying when Adobe CS3 ships.

Apple remains #4 in IDC's rankings of U.S. shipments, but is not listed in the preliminary world rankings.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It's really tough to trust any of these numbers. I've seen 6+ % from another company just the previous quarter. 4.7 % would not be a gain. When I see more retailers willing to promote Macs, I'll be inclined to believe an overall gain.

Gartner is claiming 5.1 % for quarter 4, up from 3.7 % a year ago in this article.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Apple post sall this good news and the stock plummets? I dont get it. Perhaps its desktop sales arent cutting the mustard for investors?

naw good quaters like this make people think that the company is peaking and will see a slow-down in the coming months instead of more growth. :rolleyes:

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
Anyone know where there is a full market breakdown?

Also, is there a break down of the most recent MP3 Player market shares (inc. Zune)?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Not surprising really. The Intel switch has pulled in lots of my previously Apple-bashing friends. It's actually quite a beautiful thing to see someone who constantly hated Apple and complained about my choice of computer buy an iMac on impulse. later ditching his Sony MP3 player for an iPod.

Them numbers are just going to keep rising.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Getting up to 4.7% was a nice jump. Too bad they didn't make the magic 5.0% mark, which would have been a notable milestone for the press.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Apple said their US Mac sales were up 31%, and the market overall was up 3%. That sounds like a market share gain. What am I missing? What that year to year vs. compared to previous quarter?

Did the US market grow this quarter? I also read some article that said the US market actually contracted 3%. Too many seemingly conflicting reports.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Apple post sall this good news and the stock plummets? I dont get it. Perhaps its desktop sales arent cutting the mustard for investors?

Investors care more for earnings. It doesn't matter as much how apple does when it reports earnings (unless it's bad news) as when it is projecting future growth. Apple gave a timid outlook for the next quarter - hence the stock plummet. It will bounce back in a week or so, the only thing that is still outstanding is Jobs' standing with the US gov. investigation.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
volume!

Apple said their US Mac sales were up 31%, and the market overall was up 3%. That sounds like a market share gain. What am I missing? What that year to year vs. compared to previous quarter?

Did the US market grow this quarter? I also read some article that said the US market actually contracted 3%. Too many seemingly conflicting reports.

If I sell 10 Grimace brand computers this year and 13 next year, my sales climb 30% too. But, in the grand scheme of millions and millions of computer sold, it wouldn't even budge the numbers.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Wow... Bumping up 1% really does feel like something. I'll take 1% a year-- that would feel about right to me...

cynerjist

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
Apple gave a timid outlook for the next quarter - hence the stock plummet.

This is correct.

Apple strangely underpromises and overdelivers. They intentionally skew estimates. As a result, the stock has a crappy looking eps or forward p/e. The problem is that investors can't tell if Apple is really telling the truth or continuing to UPOD.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
This is correct.

Apple strangely underpromises and overdelivers. They intentionally skew estimates. As a result, the stock has a crappy looking eps or forward p/e. The problem is that investors can't tell if Apple is really telling the truth or continuing to UPOD.
This one probably makes sense-- No Leopard until late in the quarter so Mac sales are going to slow. No iPhone until June so iPod sales will slow. General Christmas hangover. iTV isn't going to make up the difference on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.