PDA

View Full Version : Mac Market Share Update

MacRumors
Jan 18, 2007, 12:20 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Fresh off the heels of Apple announcing a nearly 30% increase (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070117163713.shtml) in Mac shipments from the year-ago quarter, research firm IDC has pegged Apple's U.S. market share for the December quarter (Apple's fiscal 1Q 2007) at 4.7%, up 1.1% from 3.6% the year ago quarter.

Apple saw another quarter of very solid growth as the company combined new portable products with strong retail sales and positive press following a successful transition to Intel processors. Worldwide and U.S. shipments were each up roughly 30% year on year. The company also continues to benefit from its music business and new developments such as the iPhone will not only drive more positive press and buyer interest, but further expand the number of people using at least one Apple product who may come into the Apple fold.

While Apple's market share numbers are down from last quarter (Gartner (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/10/20061019104418.shtml)), the fluctuation is likely a seasonal swing. Appleinsider quotes a PiperJaffray analyst (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2413) who expects Apple's numbers to bounce back once professional customers begin buying when Adobe CS3 ships.

Apple remains #4 in IDC's rankings of U.S. shipments, but is not listed in the preliminary world rankings.

P-Worm
Jan 18, 2007, 12:27 PM
Wow. If you consider the number of computers out there, that is a huge gain.

P-Worm

miketcool
Jan 18, 2007, 12:36 PM
How does the other 95.3% breakdown?

Digitalclips
Jan 18, 2007, 12:38 PM
How does the other 95.3% breakdown?

Well often they freeze, sometimes they crash outright but mostly just get slower and slower ... ;)

gregorsamsa
Jan 18, 2007, 12:43 PM
Excellent news! Would be good to know how many Macs sold in last year went to switchers & how many to previous Mac owners moving from PPC to Intel?

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 18, 2007, 12:47 PM
Apple post sall this good news and the stock plummets? I dont get it. Perhaps its desktop sales arent cutting the mustard for investors?

bousozoku
Jan 18, 2007, 12:51 PM
It's really tough to trust any of these numbers. I've seen 6+ % from another company just the previous quarter. 4.7 % would not be a gain. When I see more retailers willing to promote Macs, I'll be inclined to believe an overall gain.

Gartner is claiming 5.1 % for quarter 4, up from 3.7 % a year ago in this article. (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070118-8652.html)

Rocketman
Jan 18, 2007, 12:51 PM
Excellent news! Would be good to know how many Macs sold in last year went to switchers & how many to previous Mac owners moving from PPC to Intel?

Apple stated 50% of sales are to switchers accross all channels, apple.com, Apple stores, resellers, indy dealers.

Rocketman

PlaceofDis
Jan 18, 2007, 12:52 PM
Apple post sall this good news and the stock plummets? I dont get it. Perhaps its desktop sales arent cutting the mustard for investors?

naw good quaters like this make people think that the company is peaking and will see a slow-down in the coming months instead of more growth. :rolleyes:

gregorsamsa
Jan 18, 2007, 01:01 PM
Apple stated 50% of sales are to switchers accross all channels, apple.com, Apple stores, resellers, indy dealers.

Rocketman

Thanks. 50% switchers is most encouraging. With new Mac products on the way, maybe new hardware, & some inevitable disillusionment with Vista, things can only get even better for the foreseeable future.

tektonnic
Jan 18, 2007, 01:02 PM
Anyone know where there is a full market breakdown?

Also, is there a break down of the most recent MP3 Player market shares (inc. Zune)?

SciTeach
Jan 18, 2007, 01:09 PM
Well often they freeze, sometimes they crash outright but mostly just get slower and slower ... ;)

BEST RESPONSE EVER!!!:D :D :D

Dagless
Jan 18, 2007, 01:12 PM
Not surprising really. The Intel switch has pulled in lots of my previously Apple-bashing friends. It's actually quite a beautiful thing to see someone who constantly hated Apple and complained about my choice of computer buy an iMac on impulse. later ditching his Sony MP3 player for an iPod.

Them numbers are just going to keep rising.

Doctor Q
Jan 18, 2007, 01:12 PM
Getting up to 4.7% was a nice jump. Too bad they didn't make the magic 5.0% mark, which would have been a notable milestone for the press.

dmelgar
Jan 18, 2007, 01:35 PM
Apple said their US Mac sales were up 31%, and the market overall was up 3%. That sounds like a market share gain. What am I missing? What that year to year vs. compared to previous quarter?

Did the US market grow this quarter? I also read some article that said the US market actually contracted 3%. Too many seemingly conflicting reports.

Grimace
Jan 18, 2007, 01:37 PM

Investors care more for earnings. It doesn't matter as much how apple does when it reports earnings (unless it's bad news) as when it is projecting future growth. Apple gave a timid outlook for the next quarter - hence the stock plummet. It will bounce back in a week or so, the only thing that is still outstanding is Jobs' standing with the US gov. investigation.

Macgirl87
Jan 18, 2007, 01:38 PM
That [I]is[I]a nice jump! They never cease to amaze...

Stella
Jan 18, 2007, 01:38 PM
More importantly, whats the world wide market share?

Grimace
Jan 18, 2007, 01:40 PM
Apple said their US Mac sales were up 31%, and the market overall was up 3%. That sounds like a market share gain. What am I missing? What that year to year vs. compared to previous quarter?

Did the US market grow this quarter? I also read some article that said the US market actually contracted 3%. Too many seemingly conflicting reports.

If I sell 10 Grimace brand computers this year and 13 next year, my sales climb 30% too. But, in the grand scheme of millions and millions of computer sold, it wouldn't even budge the numbers.

AlmostThere
Jan 18, 2007, 02:55 PM

Please be serious, you know full well the US is the only country that counts.

shawnce
Jan 18, 2007, 03:05 PM
Like this break down...

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070118-8652.html

Another nice break down of Apple quarter information..

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070118-8656.html

Jan 18, 2007, 04:38 PM

The world share is irrelevant in this context, as most countries still pay huge taxes for imported industrial goods...and Macs are exactly that for most.

Analog Kid
Jan 18, 2007, 06:09 PM
Wow... Bumping up 1% really does feel like something. I'll take 1% a year-- that would feel about right to me...

cynerjist
Jan 18, 2007, 07:06 PM
Apple gave a timid outlook for the next quarter - hence the stock plummet.

This is correct.

Apple strangely underpromises and overdelivers. They intentionally skew estimates. As a result, the stock has a crappy looking eps or forward p/e. The problem is that investors can't tell if Apple is really telling the truth or continuing to UPOD.

Analog Kid
Jan 18, 2007, 07:36 PM
This is correct.

Apple strangely underpromises and overdelivers. They intentionally skew estimates. As a result, the stock has a crappy looking eps or forward p/e. The problem is that investors can't tell if Apple is really telling the truth or continuing to UPOD.
This one probably makes sense-- No Leopard until late in the quarter so Mac sales are going to slow. No iPhone until June so iPod sales will slow. General Christmas hangover. iTV isn't going to make up the difference on that.

Rocketman
Jan 18, 2007, 08:09 PM
1.1% / 3.6% = 30.56% increase in market share.

Rocketman

Stella
Jan 18, 2007, 09:14 PM
The world share is irrelevant in this context, as most countries still pay huge taxes for imported industrial goods...and Macs are exactly that for most.

Hmmmm... so you don't think Apple's overall marketshare on this planet is important?!

MikeTheC
Jan 18, 2007, 10:53 PM
What amazes me is how the stock has now started to decline on news that Apple didn't meet or beat the expectations which The Street put out for them.

They still sold at least as many computers this year as last (maybe actually a few more); their iPod sales are off like a rocket... Yet somehow that just isn't enough.

People need to stop looking at heads of corporations for the cause of this kinds of sickness (which ultimately permeates through all levels of the company) and start looking at our society. We're a sick bunch of idiots.

Jan 19, 2007, 02:44 AM
Hmmmm... so you don't think Apple's overall marketshare on this planet is important?!

Surely...but as a Brazilian national, I know how hard it is for Macs to compete in foreign markets, when they cost as much as 3x more than locally-produced PCs, simply for tax reasons.

Therefore, it's kind of a moot point to compare market share in such different competitive conditions. The U.S. is the local market of Apple, and the best gauge of demand for Macs...Europe is pretty close as well, along with Japan...the rest of the developing and developed world is a totally different situation.

em500
Jan 19, 2007, 04:17 AM
According to IDC (http://reports.idctracker.org/webdownloads/P0004/pressreleases/IDC_2006_Q4_PC_Press_Release.pdf) the total PC units sales stood at 65.6M for the quarter. That gives Apple a world wide market share of 1.6 / 65.6 * 100% = 2.44%.

iW00t
Jan 19, 2007, 04:23 AM
Investors care more for earnings. It doesn't matter as much how apple does when it reports earnings (unless it's bad news) as when it is projecting future growth. Apple gave a timid outlook for the next quarter - hence the stock plummet. It will bounce back in a week or so, the only thing that is still outstanding is Jobs' standing with the US gov. investigation.

New Macbook Pros after this quarter!
Leopard after this quarter!

That's the only explanation!

twoodcc
Jan 19, 2007, 09:52 AM
Wow. If you consider the number of computers out there, that is a huge gain.

P-Worm

yes it is! great news for Apple....hope it continues to grow!

ecook
Jan 22, 2007, 12:52 PM
What amazes me is how the stock has now started to decline on news that Apple didn't meet or beat the expectations which The Street put out for them.

They still sold at least as many computers this year as last (maybe actually a few more); their iPod sales are off like a rocket... Yet somehow that just isn't enough.

People need to stop looking at heads of corporations for the cause of this kinds of sickness (which ultimately permeates through all levels of the company) and start looking at our society. We're a sick bunch of idiots.

Are you referring to yourself. I hate to break the ice and join this forum with a negative note, but for the love of God, you are more idealistic than pragmatic.

Investment is based on speculation. The premium amount that people were willing to pay for the stock is based on speculative properties, including company growth, revenues etc. You don't buy stocks because you FEEL good about it. You don't give Apple a star sticker because you think they TRIED. Nonsense, this isn't Kindergarten. Mommy doesn't still love you regardless of whether you draw within the lines or not. There were certain expectations that analysts set for them, and they didn't meet it. Sufficiency is not the name of the game in the investment world.

Come on kiddo. The world is a tough place. Your puppy will eventually die.

ecook
Jan 22, 2007, 12:55 PM
Here is a question regarding the topic of market share, and I hope someone will have some insight into this.

As I understand it, market share, when used in this context refers to the percentage of computers sold...is that correct?

If that is the case, then this isn't really an accurate representation of ACTUAL market share (what the percentage of computer users in the US are currently using). In fact, they could be drastically different. I would like to see a statistical breakdown of actual gains in market share of usage, and also conversion numbers (and how they came up with them).

TheBobcat
Jan 22, 2007, 01:03 PM
Come on kiddo. The world is a tough place. Your puppy will eventually die.

I just got back from the vet, my dog is dying. Really.

Anyway you sell stock on good news, thats why the price is going down. Relax. Marketshare gains, though abstract, are a good sign regardless of the specific data.

ecook
Jan 22, 2007, 01:15 PM
I just got back from the vet, my dog is dying. Really.

Anyway you sell stock on good news, thats why the price is going down. Relax. Marketshare gains, though abstract, are a good sign regardless of the specific data.

What are you talking about?...

And I am calm, and fully relaxed. But if you're going to call people idiots, substantiate it or you will end up looking foolish. (I don't believe it was you that I was responsding to originally)

They didn't meet their expectations, hence the speculative premium wasn't as high as it was originally. This is a fundamental concept of stock trade and investments. The idea that "high price means sell, low price means buy" can work if you are trying to explain the stock market to an 8 year old, but it certainly can be considered only rudimentary at best.

P.S.: I am sorry about your dog.

Rantipole
Jan 22, 2007, 01:37 PM
Is there a separate break-out of the market share for HOME computers and business computers?

I suspect that if overall market share is 4.7, that home computer market share may be over 10%, or maybe 15%! Does anyone know if this information is available?

ecook
Jan 22, 2007, 01:57 PM
Is there a separate break-out of the market share for HOME computers and business computers?

I suspect that if overall market share is 4.7, that home computer market share may be over 10%, or maybe 15%! Does anyone know if this information is available?

I think you may be making a fallacious assumption on what is being referred to in particular by the term "market share", assuming you were insinuating that 10-15% of people at home use macs.

Market (sales) share, and market (usage) share are two different things.

bobber205
Jan 22, 2007, 06:53 PM
Surely...but as a Brazilian national, I know how hard it is for Macs to compete in foreign markets, when they cost as much as 3x more than locally-produced PCs, simply for tax reasons.

Therefore, it's kind of a moot point to compare market share in such different competitive conditions. The U.S. is the local market of Apple, and the best gauge of demand for Macs...Europe is pretty close as well, along with Japan...the rest of the developing and developed world is a totally different situation.

I've seen alot of Japanese anime producers interview (laugh all you want ;)), and I've NEVER seen a PC on their desk. never.

And macs will never get a huge chunk of market sales. PCs you have to replace every year or so. Macs you don't. :D

Rantipole
Jan 24, 2007, 01:10 PM
I think you may be making a fallacious assumption on what is being referred to in particular by the term "market share", assuming you were insinuating that 10-15% of people at home use macs.

Market (sales) share, and market (usage) share are two different things.
My question is this: if market (sales) share is 4.7%, I suspect the home computer market (sales) share is much higher.

Likewise the (usage) share would be higher, but that could only be determined by examining the (sales) results for the past 4 to 6 years.

Anyone? Sales for home usage only, Windows vs. Mac?

Howard Brazee
Jan 31, 2007, 10:32 AM
Apple doesn't have any plan to dominate the desktop OS. That can't be done in an environment where one company makes all the hardware.

So what would be a reasonable goal within this limitation?

erockerboy
Jan 31, 2007, 01:08 PM
For whatever it's worth.... I've noticed SIGNIFICANTLY more Mac's lately when I am out and about in public. For instance, the other night I stopped in at a local late night coffeehouse, and was mildly stunned to notice that well over half of the laptop users in the place were on Macs. (I counted 5 MacBooks and 3 MacBook Pro's, versus 3 Dells, 2 Vaios and a Toshiba.) And we are not talking "elite creative pro" users here either - from the look of it, these were mostly local college kids (which probably also bodes well for the future of the platform - get 'em young!).

Seeing that many Macs in one coffee shop would have been unthinkable a year ago.... at least here in my neighborhood.

Definitely looks like a market share upswing to me!

louden
Mar 22, 2007, 09:20 AM
I think it's news....

I consider Apple's the BMW of computer hardware, but is it over-priced in this market?

Apple has great hardware, and I'll continue to buy it, but they need to get off the anti-Vista, anti-MS line of thinking.

djbrickhouse
Mar 22, 2007, 04:29 PM
I think in this world of manipulated stats, the anecdotal evidence is just as powerful as some market share data.

I got turned onto mac recently, (atari-mac-windows-unix/NeXT/windows -windows-mac). I have noticed a fair amount more macs 'around town' then 2 years ago. But that may just be my eye, being tuned into it now...