Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Chicago Times columnist Andy Ihnatko reports on his 45 minutes of hands on time with the Apple iPhone following its announcement at Macworld. He offers some interesting observations based on his experience with the iPhone. Here is a brief summary:

- The touch-interface works flawlessly. "This is the simplest phone ever."
- "After 30 seconds, I was already typing faster with the iPhone than I ever have with any other phone."
- OS is based on Leopard.
- iPhone Widgets are not the same as Dashboard widgets.

The full article offers more details, but overall Ihnatko was very impressed with the device.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
can't wait

it looks cool to me and can't wait to buy one when they are released. I paid $400 for my treo when it came out so this isn't too much more expensive.

feffer37

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2004
East Lansing, MI
Typing

- "After 30 seconds, I was already typing faster with the iPhone than I ever have with any other phone."

This is what I was hoping to hear. I was a little nervous about the touchscreen keypad, but I'm glad to hear that it's reportidly easy to use :) Did anyone else notice during the keynote that when the keys were touched that they popped up in size, almost like a throwback to the old typewriters of old?

Only 5 months til june. Good BYE T-Moble!

Hopefully Apple will have a T-shirt giveaway for the iPhone for the first so-many people who show up/buy a iPhone at an Apple Store.

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
I am more concerned with the Cingular phone/data plans they intend to offer. I want to buy the phone, but if I am locked in for two years into some ultra expensive plan, it will be a deal breaker. I am also hoping they offer this with family plans.

ViToMiNs

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2007
This is a refreshing review after reading so many others bashing every little thing that they was wrong with it!

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
Interesting... Sounds more positive than what I have read previously.

I look forward to playing around with this device myself, although the very high price tag (and Cingluar requirement) will probably keep me from buying one...

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Balmer of Microsoft was interviewed on CNBC where he directly criticized the iPhone (ATN) keyboard. Now the hands-on user and reviewer for the Sun-Times directly refutes those claims of inadequacy:

"2. I think the iPhone's virtual keyboard is a huge improvement over the mechanical thumbpads found on the Treo and any other smart phones of its size.

The buttons are significantly larger, you don't have to hit them dead-center, you lightly tap them instead of punching them down, and the software is smart enough to know that you meant to type "Tuesday" instead of "Tudsday."

After 30 seconds, I was already typing faster with the iPhone than I ever have with any other phone. I suspect that true e-mail demons will need to adapt to the lack of tactile feedback, though."

Rocketman

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I am more concerned with the Cingular phone/data plans they intend to offer. I want to buy the phone, but if I am locked in for two years into some ultra expensive plan, it will be a deal breaker. I am also hoping they offer this with family plans.

50% of equipment and 25% off the monthly bill. I just LOVE company discounts!

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Good press! Excellent. I'm concerned about the voice and data plan costs too...

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA

Yes, family plans and I hope Apple will have a bare bones iphone by June. I really not going to spend $500 buying a iPhone for my wife!:eek:

splank

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2007
Milwaukee
I give this one a lot more credit than all the other reviews and rumors on the phone that are all the same thing: this is cool, but unless it works well (and they all assume not for some unknown reason) its not going to mean squat to the real world. Most of them never got to try the dumb thing. And dont think that people wont pay a premium for something they consider a toy thats only on one network. Sidekick anyone?

Hunabku

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2006
Turtle Island
Well I guess the iPhone just isn't for me then.

:p

Very good! However, I just don't get this "putting in the pocket" thing in the first place. The iphone is not only as wide as a 80 gig ipod but it is longer to boot. The point is if your pockets are that baggy, you are probably a beatnix and have tons of broken glass in your pocket anyway - not to mention other questionable items. : D

slidingjon

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2005
Coralville, Iowa
So, anyone out there still willing to bash the iPhone, or say that it will be a complete flop? Thanks... :rolleyes:

there have to be at least 8 or 9 Zune Fanboys... somewhere.... I still haven't actually seen a Zune in the Wild. I have seen their displays and endcaps everywhere I go (full, I might add... not empty like iPod cabinets at retail places). I wonder who the Zune purchasees are anyways? How many Microsoft employees are there? Maybe it is some contractual thing - you aren't allowed to have an iPod on the premesis, but the Zune is ok since you can't mount it anyways.

Bitman

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
"Apple's technology comes from a company called Fingerworks, which had been making multi-touch sensitive pads."

"Multi-touch systems could be the real revolution, though, by letting us do what we're good at - working with both our hands. For example, to open a folder and then sort the photos or documents in it by date or name, you could do it the long way, using the mouse, pointing, clicking, pointing, clicking. But with a two-handed screen-driven system, you'd tap on the folder and sort the items directly by hand."

Full article: http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/008200701180944.htm

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I've always enjoyed reading Andy Ihnatko's columns. He is usually spot on IMHO. His review of the iPhone is interesting, and quite frankly, what I would expect from someone who knows what is going on. Very positive.

For those that don't know about him, here is a little extract:

Andy Ihnatko
Columnist (The Mac Observer), The Chicago Sun-Times & Macworld.

Chicago Sun-Times technology columnist Andy Ihnatko is also a longtime Macworld columnist and contributing editor. The latest title in his best-selling series of Mac books for Wiley Publishing is "iPod: Fully Loaded," which shows you how to cram your iPod to the gills with any sort of media or data you have lying around the house, from LP's, DVDs, videotapes and YouTube videos all the way to emails, websites, spreadsheets, and presentations.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
I'm glad the keyboard is easy to use. Too bad you can't write with your eyes closed like I can on my cell phone. But that in no way diminishes the awe factor of the iPhone for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.