Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thumper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Under the Sea
well, i think im gonna buy an ipod video...

but im not to sure if i should get the nice skinny 30Gig or
the monster 80gig...

is it worth the extra $100??
or is the 30gig good enough?

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
Depends on what you want to do with it.
I have a little more than 30 gig of music so my old 20 gig without photo and video was already to small one should think.
No it wasn't since I do not feel the need to store all my music on it. As a matter of fact, I use it very often in my car with all the music on it in shuffle mode. Imagine a random jukebox of 4000 songs selected on most favourite, recently imported and recently played ... When I attach that iPod to my powerbook, it loads the songs and it forgets which playlist was playing. So when I'm in a hurry or when I'm lousy (most of the time ;)) I just pop in my iPod in my car adapter and drive away. Accessing the menu's when driving is a bad idea unless you are driving a 50 mile long straight highway in the desert.
And yes, it was much to small. Along with my new 80 gig iPod I ordered a camera connector so I have plenty of space to empty my memory cards when I'm on the road. There are also a bunch of video podcast loaded on it and perhaps when apple brings the videostore to belgium I will by one of my favourite movies. I also think to copy some crucial files to it as an extra backup.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I would go for the 30 but I don't do videos. If you have a large video collection spend the extra 100. People will blow that much on a single dinner. Id rather have 50 more gigs of storage!

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Buy as much space as you can afford. You'll eventually fill it.

Unless, of course, Apple bring out a shiny new one in the meantime that you just can't resist! How long do you want to keep it and how much space will you need before then? The 80GB is definitely chunkier. Where are you going to keep it when you're on the move?

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
I was in the market for an iPod but talked myself out of it for now. I always recommend refurbished products. The 30g video is only $179 and the 60 is $229

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I was in the market for an iPod but talked myself out of it for now. I always recommend refurbished products. The 30g video is only $179 and the 60 is $229

I bought a refurb 60 for that price, really is a great bargain, cheaper than a new 30. I sold my old iPod (40gig Photo) for $150 so it cost me about $100 to upgrade to a 60gig Video iPod.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Just get whatever size makes more sense for ya. I have a 30, and no way would I need larger. I only use about 1/4 of that. A friend of mine bought a 60GB, and now would have gotten a 30 since she doesn't really use that extra space either. But lots of other people fill up all the space available.

It's not like there's anything wrong with the 30GB, it's just a smaller drive.

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
I bought a refurb 60 for that price, really is a great bargain, cheaper than a new 30. I sold my old iPod (40gig Photo) for $150 so it cost me about $100 to upgrade to a 60gig Video iPod.

This is my suggestion, too. Buy a 60GB refurb. It will give you plenty of space, and it is $20 less expensive than a new 30GB. The only thing that you will miss out on is the search feature, which I never use.

Jack1991

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2006
I broke down too and bought one a couple days ago (just left anchorage this morning!) and I went with the 30. I've got about 8 gigs of music and have began to upload some video to prepare for it, and I'm not too worried about the space. Also it's significantly chunkier so you dont want to spend 100 bucks extra, not use that space, and be stuck with something bigger. That would just blow. And like everyone else said it really depends on your specific situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.