Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to published reports on the internet, Apple has seeded a new release of Leopard (Seed 9A343) to developers tonight. The last version of Leopard (3A321) was seeded December 13th, 2006.

Apple actually has itemized a few of changes to Leopard from the last seed, including:

- HIToolbox provides new HIRect/Point/Shape-based Window Manager API for resolution independence compatibility
- Tab support in Terminal
- Terminal now lets you save a multi-window configurations through workspaces which are available through the "Terminal" menu.
- QuickLook APIs have been updated

According to Apple, Leopard is coming "spring 2007".

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Each seed brings us closer to perfection :rolleyes:

Actually, tabs in Terminal sounds cool. Maybe they'll think about putting them in FINDER too :D

Perhaps they're saving that for 10.5 build 9A365

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Is it just me, or do these pointed out features, seem to be drawing our attention from something big? Either that or there are going to be a lot of dissappointed people when 10.5 is revealed. What average person wants tabbed terminal windows when the terminal is hardly used in the first place?

P-Worm

jericho53

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2006
Center of the Universe
Is it just me, or do these pointed out features, seem to be drawing our attention from something big? Either that or there are going to be a lot of dissappointed people when 10.5 is revealed. What average person wants tabbed terminal windows when the terminal is hardly used in the first place?

P-Worm

Exactly, tabbed terminal. Who cares?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC

P-Worm

I use it. Not multiple sessions or anything, but I use it.

I do agree though. Seriously underwhelming feature list. When do we get to see the new UI? :D

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Exactly, tabbed terminal. Who cares?

It's not like Apple is marketing it as a big feature.

There are still big top secret features yet to be releaved with Leopard. All the little stuff is getting updated in the developer preview, like QuickLook and tabbed terminal.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
With each build I grown more weary of how awesome the shipping version will be. How amazing can these features be if they don't require developers to adapt their software. For instance, if Apple were to completely revamp the UI like many are expecting, wouldn't Apple have to seed out the development package for it? So i don't see a radically new UI in the works for that reason.

I'm thinking these new features will simply be new programs that simply sit on top of Leopard. Not so exciting (as dashboard, etc.) IMHO.:(

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
=There are still big top secret features yet to be releaved with Leopard.

Lets hopes so, This'll be my first OSX release where i'd actually be excited for, (before i was never really into macs) and I better be blown away by it.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
While the seeds help them test things, they are seeded to developers so developers can develop. The features they point out are things useful for developers to know about.

bignumbers

macrumors regular
May 9, 2002
There are some pretty serious upgrades within the innards of Leopard. They might be waiting to get those API's stable, then release some fancy stuff based on those API's.

Developers will go to town with 10.5. You'll see a whole slew of really wacky animated interfaces for sure. To what benefit, we'll have to wait and see.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

P-Worm

I was just going to comment "Wow Tabs in Terminal -- Something I'll actually use" and then I saw your comment. I use this feature a lot (as in like 8 hours a day) in Linux.

You'd be surprised how many users are coming to Mac OX from UNIX backgrounds.

Marlor

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
I really miss tabbed terminals. I used to use them in Linux all the time, and hate the mess of terminal windows that I get with OS X.

These are developer-related features of course. The big new surprises for Leopard aren't going to be in the dev builds, otherwise they would be leaked within a heartbeat.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
...I would wait for 10.5.1 to do an install.

Is the smartest thing I've read so far in this thread. Early adopters (developers aside), have fun. I'm waiting for 10.5.1 or 2 to get out first before I make the jump. I'm not gonna lie tho, I'm giddy like a schoolgirl for Leopard.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The lack of information is either one of the following:
  • an attempt to keep big features safe from implementation elsewhere
  • a lack of features
  • a very delayed project schedule

I hope it's just that they're moving slowly.

The tabs in Terminal sound good to me. It'll be one place that I could use window management.

Linksgolfer84

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2003
Wisconsin
Does anyone think that apple is hiding the new UI and keeping it out of the developer builds?

There's no chance that this release will have a "new" UI. The thought is completely ridiculous. Just look at how minor that UI changes have been since 10.0. Apple said to expect more "features," not a new look.

The next overhaul to the UI will not go under the name OSX

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Another frequent Terminal user here. If I'm using Terminal (which is nearly every day), I usually have multiple windows open, so tabs in Terminal is a very welcome feature.

Still, I'd like to hear more about the "top-secret" features in Leopard, and am also hoping for some semi-major UI changes.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I remember when I was popping that 10.0 disc in the computer and using OS X. It was absolutely beautiful and useless at the same time. Hope they show us the new features soon.

jon

crispoe

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2005
Aosx

It takes a long time to certify drivers that come in HP, Dell, Sony, and Lenovo laptops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.