PDA

View Full Version : Got my 2Mb Cable connection!

edesignuk
May 16, 2003, 03:41 PM
Finally, the UK have a broadband connection that can rival that of US ADSL lines/cable connections (I say this from reading this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5943&highlight=what+speed) thread). Blueyonder 2Mb (http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/2mb) is finally here, and I have just upgraded :D
I now connect @ around 2500Kb/s (downloads' of around 315KB/s!), and it's freakin fantastic!

...one small downside though, they haven't increased the UL speed, still 256Kb/s...oh well...I'm still VERY happy :D :) :D :) :cool:

cc bcc
May 16, 2003, 03:55 PM
Oh that's nice! I thought I was fast with my 1.75 Mbit cable connection.. :D

Too bad your upload isn't a bit faster, the songs I stream from your iTunes share keep on stalling. :(

James.Paul
May 16, 2003, 04:02 PM
Just curious, I'm on NTL Broadband 512k, do they give you a fixed IP address on Blueyonder so that you can run a server. NTL do but at a big increase in monthly subscription.

Enjoy your 2mb, I'm going to increase to 1mb very soon. Very nice for movies etc

edesignuk
May 16, 2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by James.Paul
Just curious, I'm on NTL Broadband 512k, do they give you a fixed IP address on Blueyonder so that you can run a server. NTL do but at a big increase in monthly subscription.

Enjoy your 2mb, I'm going to increase to 1mb very soon. Very nice for movies etc
Sadly no, it's DHCP, but it VERY rarely changes, I have had the same IP for months :)

GeneR
May 17, 2003, 12:45 AM
I'm getting Time Warner Roadrunner service soon. Wahahahahaha! I can just feel the power! Wahahahahhaha! World domination's soon at hand -- I -- uh -- oh, I said that out loud, didn't I? heh! :D

mrjamin
May 17, 2003, 10:53 AM
I have a 1mbit/s NTL cable line - my IP hasn't changed in six months. Running my own server here! Have got a rather nice collection of MP3s/DivX movies that i share with my friends, but someone started shouting their mouth off about it and word spread - i've had to password protect it as i had about 30 people connection to it yesterday (getting downloads of 0.7KB/s)- NTL only allow 10GB transfer every month and i'd nearly tripled it last month!! Oopsie

wdlove
May 17, 2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by edesignuk
Finally, the UK have a broadband connection that can rival that of US ADSL lines/cable connections (I say this from reading this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5943&highlight=what+speed) thread). Blueyonder 2Mb (http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/2mb) is finally here, and I have just upgraded :D
I now connect @ around 2500Kb/s (downloads' of around 315KB/s!), and it's freakin fantastic!

...one small downside though, they haven't increased the UL speed, still 256Kb/s...oh well...I'm still VERY happy :D :) :D :) :cool:

What is the cost of your cable service?

edesignuk
May 17, 2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by wdlove
What is the cost of your cable service?
50 a month, pretty damn good for the UK.

springscansing
May 17, 2003, 12:02 PM
I pay $35 a month for 1mbps access and I max out around 800k/sec down, 500k/sec UP. I love living in a semi-rural area... cheap cheap access, really really fast.

James.Paul
May 17, 2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by mrjamin
I have a 1mbit/s NTL cable line - my IP hasn't changed in six months. Running my own server here! Have got a rather nice collection of MP3s/DivX movies that i share with my friends, but someone started shouting their mouth off about it and word spread - i've had to password protect it as i had about 30 people connection to it yesterday (getting downloads of 0.7KB/s)- NTL only allow 10GB transfer every month and i'd nearly tripled it last month!! Oopsie

I've never monitored my IP address with NTL so I wonder how long my stays the same for.

OutThere
May 17, 2003, 01:40 PM
dammit, another person jumps ahead of my pathetic "t1" :p

edesignuk
May 17, 2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by OutThere761
dammit, another person jumps ahead of my pathetic "t1" :p
I'd rather have a T1; 1500Mbps DL / 1500Mbps UL, I'd much rather take a 500Mbps DL cut for a 1500Mbps UL. I say lucky you!

ibookin'
May 17, 2003, 02:01 PM
50 a month, pretty damn good for the UK.

From what I've heard about broadband in the U.K. that does sound pretty good. I've a a 2Mb/256Kb connection too, and it rocks.

For $82.95 a month I get:
-2Mbps cable
-Premium Analog Cable
-Digital Basic (TechTV, IFC, Sundance, etc.)
-Digital HBO
-Digital box, modem rental

That's a pretty good package, I think, although you can go for every channel they offer for $102.95 a month.

shadowfax
May 17, 2003, 02:08 PM
i refuse to let you make me feel bad about my 1200Mbps DSL with 128 k UL. grrrr... :D

vniow
May 17, 2003, 02:16 PM
*slaps edesignuk*

<--dial-up user...http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=252654

wdlove
May 17, 2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by vniow
*slaps edesignuk*

I'm confident that cable or DSL is in your future vinow. Take a slow deep breath, be patient. It will truly happen sooner than you think! ;)

vouder17
May 17, 2003, 03:10 PM
You guys are all sooo much luckier than me , we have just recently got ISDN 64k , it is damn slow, and expensive but it is the best u can get around here.
I think by the time we get ADSL, T1 etc , i will most probably be long gone, from this country!!!

edesignuk
May 17, 2003, 03:10 PM
*slaps edesignuk*

I'm so sorry vniow, I feel for you, really I do :D ;) :eek:

bbarnhart
May 17, 2003, 04:07 PM
I finally got DSL (long story) two weeks ago. We live about two miles away from a tiny town that has DSL in a rural area. I get 384 kbps down and 128 kbps up. It costs $42.45 (weird, right).

It's not the fastest (I could pay more for more down speed) and it is a little expensive, but it is worth it. Now, I can host my own domain here (with DynDNS.org help), get my music files to work, view pictures from other peoples homes. Surfing the internet is a breeze and I don't have to wait for the modem to dial in and get connected. It's instantly on.

tazo
May 17, 2003, 07:51 PM
i wish I had cable. once i get a job part of my money is going towards cable.

MacAztec
May 17, 2003, 08:10 PM
That sounds pretty good!

I use roadrunner, I get about 2.5 megabit down, and .5 megabit up. I dont see why they dont vie you atleast 1 megabit upload. .5 megabit is cheesy. Oh well.

Freg3000
May 17, 2003, 08:14 PM
I don't know if I could ever go back to dial-up. Sometimes I feel that my cable connection is even slow...imagine going back to a dial up connection!!!!

Angelus
May 17, 2003, 08:16 PM
im still on a 56k modem here in ireland.Im just waiting for esat bt to release adsl,should be here by the end of this month.Still the 56k isnt too bad,im managing to sustain about 5Kb/s most of the time.

scem0
May 17, 2003, 08:46 PM
I'm so sorry vniow, I feel for you, really I do :D ;) :eek:

as do I. Dial up is hell. Truly is.

I often get speeds of 500k and above.

What do y'all get of cnet's bandwidth meter?

link (http://webservices.cnet.com/Bandwidth/)

I just got 2,009 kbps.

MrMacMan
May 17, 2003, 08:56 PM
bah, my connection blows compared to you... :(

edit: scemo that test aint true, my 56 friend tried and got over 128ISDN :eek:

shadowfax
May 17, 2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by scem0
as do I. Dial up is hell. Truly is.

I often get speeds of 500k and above.

What do y'all get of cnet's bandwidth meter?

link (http://webservices.cnet.com/Bandwidth/)

I just got 2,009 kbps. odd.. that test is only giving me 950 kbps... but i usually get 1200 kbps on those--with my PC at least. plus my usual DL rate is 150 KB/s, which is 1200 kbps. i think that test must be off, at least for now.

MacFan25
May 17, 2003, 09:17 PM
*slaps edesignuk*

I feel for you too, vniow. I have dial-up, too. :( ;)

scem0
May 17, 2003, 10:26 PM
Hmmmm that test must not be accurate, becasue I got 2008 while downloading ~15 different versions of the matrix, and about 10 various martial arts flicks. And I had Windows Media Player open, kazaa open, kazaa speed up open, and firebird. Seems like my score was a little high. My connection is pretty fast but not that fast.

Note: I just tested again and got 1674 Kbps.

shadowfax
May 17, 2003, 10:37 PM
Hmmmm that test must not be accurate, becasue I got 2008 while downloading ~15 different versions of the matrix, and about 10 various martial arts flicks. And I had Windows Media Player open, kazaa open, kazaa speed up open, and firebird. Seems like my score was a little high. My connection is pretty fast but not that fast.

Note: I just tested again and got 1674 Kbps. definitely off the wall.

scem0
May 17, 2003, 10:44 PM
This is kinda off topic, but how does it work? Does it just ping your computer and get the speed according to how fast you process the ping?

ibookin'
May 17, 2003, 11:54 PM
This is kinda off topic, but how does it work? Does it just ping your computer and get the speed according to how fast you process the ping?

I'm not sure how that works, but I always use the tests on http://www.dslreports.com because they seem to be pretty accurate. I get around 1950/240 pretty much all the time, even during peak hours. I'm happy with Adelphia so far.

shadowfax
May 18, 2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by ibookin'
I'm not sure how that works, but I always use the tests on http://www.dslreports.com because they seem to be pretty accurate. I get around 1950/240 pretty much all the time, even during peak hours. I'm happy with Adelphia so far. lol. i was going to recommend them too. and on that topic, my safari won't run that java applet. it just shows that stupid smoking coffee cup logo where the applet should be. what's with that?

always got a tiny bit under 1200 with them on my PC though...

ibookin'
May 18, 2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
lol. i was going to recommend them too. and on that topic, my safari won't run that java applet. it just shows that stupid smoking coffee cup logo where the applet should be. what's with that?

always got a tiny bit under 1200 with them on my PC though...

I've never had a problem running them with Safari. Strange...

shadowfax
May 18, 2003, 12:38 AM
I've never had a problem running them with Safari. Strange... ahh, i guess i was being impatient. it says "java applet loading," in the bottom, just noticed. but its taken over 2 minutes using a lot of CPU time (60% ave), and nothing is happening. how long did yours take? i noticed that the "tweak test" applet loads fine for me. what gives?

ibookin'
May 18, 2003, 12:51 AM
ahh, i guess i was being impatient. it says "java applet loading," in the bottom, just noticed. but its taken over 2 minutes using a lot of CPU time (60% ave), and nothing is happening. how long did yours take? i noticed that the "tweak test" applet loads fine for me. what gives?

Mine usually takes less than 10 seconds.

shadowfax
May 18, 2003, 12:53 AM
Mine usually takes less than 10 seconds. yeah. this is weird. it happens the same way in Camino and IE. this is impossible. could it be bitching about my wireless? i'll plug for a bit and see.

senseibiz
May 18, 2003, 01:49 AM
I just ran the test at dsl reports and I got
3456 kbps down and 1265 up.
pretty accurate. and I was using safari.

shadowfax
May 18, 2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by senseibiz
I just ran the test at dsl reports and I got
3456 kbps down and 1265 up.
pretty accurate. and I was using safari. what is your service?

my system is getting quirky--graphics in iChat went weird 2 days ago, and now this java BS. i think i am going to restart :eek:

senseibiz
May 18, 2003, 02:00 AM
what is your service?

my system is getting quirky--graphics in iChat went weird 2 days ago, and now this java BS. i think i am going to restart :eek:

Cox Cable

shadowfax
May 18, 2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by senseibiz
Cox Cable god, dude, your upload is faster than my down. that's really impressive. do you put the up to good use with anything? i bet edesign is jealous of that :p

senseibiz
May 18, 2003, 02:22 AM
god, dude, your upload is faster than my down. that's really impressive. do you put the up to good use with anything? i bet edesign is jealous of that :p

Actually, I ran the test again, because the upload should be around 256 kbps.
the accuracy is right for the download.
I don't know why it does that for the upload. This time I got 300 kbps.
I duno..
Is there another place I can check The speed.

hvfsl
May 18, 2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by mrjamin
NTL only allow 10GB transfer every month and i'd nearly tripled it last month!! Oopsie

I am on NTL and the 10GB limit is wrong, it is 1GB per day and you must not exceed this limit it more than 2 times a week. As long as you dont do too much P2P stuff then if should be OK, I only do about 300MB per day so I am OK.

Also if you have broadband and dont want the IP address to change, just leave the computer/ broadband adapter on all the time and it will not change. The IP only changes when you tern your connection off.

Zenith
May 18, 2003, 06:41 AM
I'm a happy student living in Norway's biggest student-community in Trondheim. Therefore I get a rebate on my DSL connection and pay only 30$ for 2048/768. Couldn't be happier! ;)

They are testing some VDSL around in the area now, so I expect that it will be offered to customers soon. Then I'll get a 10,000/10,000 connection..! For, uhm, let's say, like 40$ a month? ;)

In Oslo, capital of Norway, you're able to get a 10mbps/10mbps connection for just 30$/month. Pretty impressive.

God, I love this country!

edesignuk
May 18, 2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Zenith
I'm a happy student living in Norway's biggest student-community in Trondheim. Therefore I get a rebate on my DSL connection and pay only 30$ for 2048/768. Couldn't be happier! ;)

They are testing some VDSL around in the area now, so I expect that it will be offered to customers soon. Then I'll get a 10,000/10,000 connection..! For, uhm, let's say, like 40$ a month? ;)

In Oslo, capital of Norway, you're able to get a 10mbps/10mbps connection for just 30$/month. Pretty impressive.

God, I love this country!
Ok, that's it! I'm emigrating! :eek:

wdlove
May 18, 2003, 02:27 PM
Ok, that's it! I'm emigrating! :eek:

Are you going to move for the DSL or the blondes that I've head about! :p

edesignuk
May 18, 2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
Are you going to move for the DSL or the blondes that I've head about! :p
Blondes, what blondes? (Packs suitcase...:D)

wdlove
May 18, 2003, 05:04 PM
Blondes, what blondes? (Packs suitcase...:D)

Gee that sure didn't take too much time for your decision! Pleases take pictures, then I'll know if the rumors are true! :p

zoetropeuk
May 18, 2003, 05:55 PM
My last office had a dual fibre link directly into the telstra backbone in Australia.

The connection was rated at 2*100MB/sec up and down, and no that is megabytes, not megabits.

The best part though was, it was FREE. We used to download Apple movie trailers at 2-3mb/sec. We tried to max it out by downloading different trailers at the same time from 15 macs but we still had plenty of bandwidth to spare.

The only time in slowed down was when the movie studios were transfering the daily rushes back to the US.

Now I'm back to 1mbit DSL and I think that sucks. My DSL went down during the last keynote and I had to listen to the broadcast via GPRS, now that's slow !!!!

DakotaGuy
May 18, 2003, 08:19 PM
Well I ran the test and ended up with a 246 download/62 upload, nothing special, but a lot better then dial-up. We FINALLY got Cable Broadband here this past winter. You have to understand though I live in a town of 350 in the middle of farms, so it is progress. I lived with dial-up for years and years this is SO MUCH better. When I signed up with PrairieWave, I had 3 options with different prices, 256k, 512k, or 768k. I took 256k@$29.99. Not as cheap as better services in big cities, but with less customers the company still has to maintain the same equipment. If we get more customers the price should come down.

I took it because it was the cheapest for my needs and it works well. I have no idea how they determine what speed you get. Does anyone's ISP offer different download speeds? How do they control what speed goes to what house???

lmalave
May 19, 2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by GeneR
I'm getting Time Warner Roadrunner service soon. Wahahahahaha! I can just feel the power! Wahahahahhaha! World domination's soon at hand -- I -- uh -- oh, I said that out loud, didn't I? heh! :D

Road Runner rocks. I get anywhere from 1.5 Mbps all the way up to 5 Mbps sometimes. Crazy. I've been thrilled with the service so far.