PDA

View Full Version : Uninspiring Vista How Microsoft's long-awaited operating s...

MacBytes
Jan 19, 2007, 12:33 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Microsoft
Link: Uninspiring Vista
How Microsoft's long-awaited operating system disappointed a stubborn fan. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070119013302)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Belly-laughs
Jan 19, 2007, 02:55 AM
He he. I guess weŽll see more of these stories as tech writers realise Vista is one of the OSX on Intel rejects.

DMann
Jan 19, 2007, 03:13 AM
He he. I guess weŽll see more of these stories as tech writers realise Vista is one of the OSX on Intel rejects.

Even regarding it an OS X Intel reject would be over glorifying Vista...

bartelby
Jan 19, 2007, 03:22 AM
It's good to read a decent article that even Windows fans will understand and have very little in the way of realistic arguments.

Jiddick ExRex
Jan 19, 2007, 03:41 AM
The memory usage of Vista really astonished me. Not only in the article but also from my mates' experiences. And they wave it away with "yes, Vista uses up a lot of memory." WHAT? So my one year old PC with 1g RAM cannot be expected to run it, let alone play any games with it as it is intended? Forget about it. For the time it makes it impossible to install any kind of Vista on a laptop and using it as a gaming machine.

roach
Jan 19, 2007, 08:20 PM
The memory usage of Vista really astonished me. Not only in the article but also from my mates' experiences. And they wave it away with "yes, Vista uses up a lot of memory." WHAT? So my one year old PC with 1g RAM cannot be expected to run it, let alone play any games with it as it is intended? Forget about it. For the time it makes it impossible to install any kind of Vista on a laptop and using it as a gaming machine.

I got a laptop with 1.1 ghz cpu (3 years old), 1 gig mem. I installed a 7200HD and Vista ran faster than when it had XP. I been using Vista RC1 for the last 4 months and I couldn't think of going back to XP. My experience with Vista has been very enjoyable. My laptop is limited to one gig, but Ready Boost allows me to use SD/USB memory stick to add extra more memory for Photoshop. Side show is also an awesome feature.

kugino
Jan 19, 2007, 08:55 PM
one of the joys of being a mac fan is personally helping switchers switch...and seeing the light of excitement in their eyes as they question, "is that it?" i'm of the opinion that windows can do everything that macs can and some things macs can't...but doing it better, faster, and easier counts for A LOT in my book...nice to know this writer figured it out...finally.

emptyCup
Jan 19, 2007, 09:58 PM
It has been a long time since I had to use Windows everyday. Maybe Erika Jonietz is famous in the Windows world. If I was a Windows person I do not know that I would take her opinion any more seriously than the people who are blogging about what's wrong with the iPhone. Most Windows users know nothing about OS-X and will not only find it better than XP but think Microsoft invented all this stuff that Apple copied. I remember a woman telling me that the Recycle Bin is "amazing" a decade after Apple had the Trash Can.

The most interesting point was that Vista eliminates the low end from PC sales which will make it harder to say Windows machines are cheaper.

valdore
Jan 21, 2007, 03:47 AM
I hear now that the big box retail electronic emporiums already have Vista loaded PCs piled up in their back warehouses, they just can't sell them until like the 29th or 30th. There are models on display however.

mrsebastian
Jan 21, 2007, 02:08 PM
I hear now that the big box retail electronic emporiums already have Vista loaded PCs piled up in their back warehouses, they just can't sell them until like the 29th or 30th. There are models on display however.

i was thinking about that and this brings up an interesting concept. as camp m$ has usually done, they find a way to turn a flaw into a positive, by realizing that this will make their supporters very happy.

"what do you mean i have to upgrade my memory, hd, video card, etc.?! well i might as well get a few bucks for this one and buy a new one... been meaning to anyway." says your pc user.

i can see the the ads already from pc producers, trade in your old pc for a credit on the new one and therefore boosting sales and the bottom line for many pc manufacturers, who will tout windows as the fantastic with amazing new features and interface. in one word, "profits". creating a market and/or changing it has been the life blood of m$ from the beginning. the good thing is that apple is on the horizon and many more people are certainly considering switching or at the very least walking into an apple store to check out the options.

dllavaneras
Jan 21, 2007, 02:22 PM
At last, a microsoft die-hard fan that saw the light :)

Jan 21, 2007, 03:14 PM
My laptop is limited to one gig, but Ready Boost allows me to use SD/USB memory stick to add extra more memory for Photoshop.

Can you also use the floppy drive?

roach
Jan 22, 2007, 02:40 AM
Can you also use the floppy drive?
My laptop doesn't have a floppy. I heard only USB type of floppy works.

bkthomas75
Jan 23, 2007, 11:38 AM
The most interesting point was that Vista eliminates the low end from PC sales which will make it harder to say Windows machines are cheaper.

From what I have heard that there will still be low end PC's but they won't be running Vista only XP. I am very curious to see how this works out! Also, to what someone said about the stores already having Vista PC's this is true. We have a display running with 2GB of RAM and Vista Ultimate. In idle it is eating up 47% of the RAM! SWEET! You will be able to see them or preorder them on the 27th and pick them up on the 30th. I have to sell them and after using Vista for about an hour or 2 anyone who has worked with PC's will be like that's it!

zakatov
Jan 23, 2007, 06:03 PM
My laptop doesn't have a floppy. I heard only USB type of floppy works.

i think that was a sarcastic question...

ppnkg
Jan 23, 2007, 06:45 PM
Ok, predictable. A question: what does she mean "Even when I finally bought a Mac three years ago, it was solely to meet the computing requirements of some of the publications I worked with"?

gauchogolfer
Jan 23, 2007, 07:34 PM
This was one of my favorite parts:

Although my computer meets the minimum requirements of a "Vista Premium Ready PC," with one gigabyte of RAM, I could run only a few simple programs, such as a Web browser and word processor, without running out of memory. I couldn't even watch a movie: Windows Media Player could read the contents of the DVD, but there wasn't enough memory to actually play it. In short, you need a hell of a computer just to run this OS.

roach
Jan 24, 2007, 02:50 AM
i think that was a sarcastic question...

oops...sorry, English second language here. I couldn't understand his writing. Maybe English is also his second language. ESL + sarcastic, dont mix!

Lone Deranger
Jan 24, 2007, 03:49 AM
I think this bit says it all:

"Ironically, playing around with Vista for more than a month has done what years of experience and exhortations from Mac-loving friends could not: it has converted me into a Mac fan."

There aren't words strong enough to break through the bias and mind set of the average windows user. Most of them are too obstinate (to use the author's choice of words) and perhaps close minded to realize Macs and OSX aren't all that bad afterall. They need to experience this for themselves.
Not everybody can or wants to 'Think diffirent'. :cool: