PDA

View Full Version : Help Data Stuck on iPod !!

pmackin
Jan 19, 2007, 06:52 AM
My 30 gb ipod 5g video has stopped working with any usb cable .. however thru firewire it still can be charged and works.
Here's the problem my most important data is on the pod and i have no way of getting it out ...
I am willing to crack open the ipod get the toshiba hdd out ..
Here's where i need help .. NOW WHAT>???
is there some sort of casing or some interface that can help me get the data off this model .. MK3008GAL .. not worried about the ipod but need the data ..
Thanks

Cinematographer
Jan 19, 2007, 08:53 AM
My suggestion: Use FireWire to get the files off the iPod to your hard drive. In case you have an old machine without FireWire, ask a friend who has one and burn it to CD or DVD.

Osarkon
Jan 19, 2007, 09:30 AM
My suggestion: Use FireWire to get the files off the iPod to your hard drive. In case you have an old machine without FireWire, ask a friend who has one and burn it to CD or DVD.

Last I checked the video ipod doesn't support connectivity via firewire. You could try resetting it, or plugging it into another computer possibly?

clintob
Jan 19, 2007, 10:08 AM
Am I the only person confused here...? If it works via Firewire, then just transfer your data with that cable? It's faster anyway?

zephead
Jan 19, 2007, 10:23 AM
Apple scrapped the FireWire data chipset in the 5G iPod in order to make the iPod thinner. It can only transfer data via USB, but it can still be charged via FireWire. There's more discussion on it in this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=163947) thread.

MacAnkka
Jan 19, 2007, 10:25 AM
Am I the only person confused here...? If it works via Firewire, then just transfer your data with that cable? It's faster anyway?

iPod videos (and Nanos) can only be charged through Firewire, the files cannot be accessed through Firewire. I guess he's saying he can charge it through firewire and he can listen to music already on the iPod (the hard drive works), but the USB doesn't work (can't transfer stuff out of it).

clintob
Jan 19, 2007, 10:32 AM
Okay nevermind... I thought he said he can charge and transfer via firewire. I misread the post.

Anyway, bring your iPod to an Apple store if there's one nearby. Otherwise, you're basically out of luck. There's no way to transfer data off without some kind of functioning I/O (in this case USB). If you open it up, you'll almost definitely damage the drive anyway, so don't bother with that.

Last resort... send it to Apple. Costs $$ but if you're that desperate they can probably get your data off.

pmackin
Jan 19, 2007, 01:30 PM
I work for a Apple Authorised Service Provider . No Apple stores in India .
Ironic the guy who fixes and replaces iPods every day comes to macrumors for a solution for his own pod !:D

I've tried running the pod from various comp's and i'm pretty sure the usb controller's failed ... none of the pro data recovery guys here have ever recovered data from a pod ...

My main problem's not taking out the Hdd .. i've done that a few times before .. with this particular toshiba 1.8Hdd model which uses a (ZIF) Zero Force something connecter i'm stumped on what next to do ......

Thanks again all . you guys are the best !!

timswim78
Jan 19, 2007, 07:50 PM
I work for a Apple Authorised Service Provider . No Apple stores in India .
Ironic the guy who fixes and replaces iPods every day comes to macrumors for a solution for his own pod !:D

I've tried running the pod from various comp's and i'm pretty sure the usb controller's failed ... none of the pro data recovery guys here have ever recovered data from a pod ...

My main problem's not taking out the Hdd .. i've done that a few times before .. with this particular toshiba 1.8Hdd model which uses a (ZIF) Zero Force something connecter i'm stumped on what next to do ......

Thanks again all . you guys are the best !!

Can you take the drive from the 5G iPod and plug it into an iPod that does support support firewire transfers?

panoz7
Jan 19, 2007, 08:42 PM
Can you take the drive from the 5G iPod and plug it into an iPod that does support support firewire transfers?

Or plug it into another 5G iPod? Presumably the USB controller is independent of the harddrive and it would work just fine in another 5G. You can probably get a broken one cheap off ebay.