Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
I was at a friends last night who has a wireless network running (linksys 11b router).

My iBook seems to get MUCH better reception than his 15" TiBook - he lost reception about 20m from the base station. I made it to the end of the road and still had 14% reception (approx 90m from the base station). Any idea why? any tech specs to back up this behaviour?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Airport range on iBook vs TiBook

Originally posted by mrjamin
I was at a friends last night who has a wireless network running (linksys 11b router).

My iBook seems to get MUCH better reception than his 15" TiBook - he lost reception about 20m from the base station. I made it to the end of the road and still had 14% reception (approx 90m from the base station). Any idea why? any tech specs to back up this behaviour?

This is a well known disability of the TiBook. The iBook has an Antenna built into the screen where as the TiBook does not. Also the way the case is built it kind of shields radio transmissions preventing Airport from achieving the signal levels capable on the iBook.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
Re: Re: Airport range on iBook vs TiBook

Originally posted by MacBandit
Also the way the case is built it kind of shields radio transmissions preventing Airport from achieving the signal levels capable on the iBook.
Yes, and I think that the aluminum on the PowerBooks is supposed to pick up better reception than the Titanium does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.