PDA

View Full Version : Worth buying a 5G iPod at this stage?

henryaj
Jan 19, 2007, 06:48 PM
Hi.

Seeing as my music library has outgrown my 4GB first gen iPod nano, I've been thinking of treating myself to an upgrade and buying a 30GB iPod. Capacity issues aside (my library isn't likely to fill a 30GB iPod any time soon, but bigger is arguably better), is it worth me getting a fifth-gen iPod at this (late) stage?

Presumably Apple have their next model in the works, and I wouldn't like to buy an iPod just as a new range is introduced (and the old range gets price cuts...!). The last revision to the iPod was in September last year, and even then it was only a minor one, with the 5G iPod being released in October.

So, do you think it's worth it? Frankly, if the next iPod is just the iPod functionality from iPhone in a standalone device, I'd buy the 5G model any day—I think the Click Wheel is better suited to the task, and I prefer the design.

Thoughts?

The Toon Master
Jan 19, 2007, 06:59 PM
well, no new model has been officially announced, but we do have the widescreen iPod apart of the iPhone that could become a seperate product and there is also a rumor of a full screen iPod.

If the next Macworld is within 4 months, don't get it yet..

net26
Jan 20, 2007, 06:46 AM
i was considering pretty much the same things you are when i was buying my 5th gen 80gb. i realised that i don't really care for the widescreen touch interface ipod... for me, it's still primarily for listening to music, and it does that brilliantly! the click wheel IMO is a better interface then the one demo'd on the iPhone for browsing through substantial music libraries.

henryaj
Jan 20, 2007, 07:10 AM
i was considering pretty much the same things you are when i was buying my 5th gen 80gb. i realised that i don't really care for the widescreen touch interface ipod... for me, it's still primarily for listening to music, and it does that brilliantly! the click wheel IMO is a better interface then the one demo'd on the iPhone for browsing through substantial music libraries.

net26, I absolutely agree with you. I'm not sure what size is worth buying—my library doesn't even nearly consume 30GB of space, but it will grow, and in addition to whatever videos/video podcasts I'll be putting on there... I'm torn. But I think buying now rather than when a new one is introduced (presumably a year from the original release, i.e. September) is the best solution.

As for waiting for other media events: I don't think Apple generally announces them in advance, so it's not possible to predict based on that.

iW00t
Jan 20, 2007, 07:21 AM
I too am thinking about the same thing. The refurbished are going at good prices though.

Jay42
Jan 20, 2007, 08:13 AM
Get a refurb 30 gig, enjoy it, and if they come out with something better, put it on eBay for $150 and cut your losses.

rockthecasbah
Jan 20, 2007, 08:54 AM
Yes it is definitely worth it, i highly doubt that a new iPod will be released for at least 2 more months. I highly doubt a "6g" iPod will come out without an Apple event, so either they will have a special media event to announce it, or they will wait until the next big Mac Convention which is NOT for a while (WWDC in may?). Apple could release another 5g update, but that doesn't seem to be happening in my opinion, the current ones are selling quite well.

Go for it, you'll enjoy your iPod thoroughly. When the time comes that new iPod is released, you'll see if you still want it and then you can always sell your iPod at a still very good value.

pianoman
Jan 20, 2007, 09:23 AM
As for waiting for other media events: I don't think Apple generally announces them in advance, so it's not possible to predict based on that.

Apple will be having another conference in April/May - this is when they've historically released the OS X upgrades (i.e., 10.4 "Tiger" was released in April 2005).

i'm usually one for buying what you want/need when you want/need it, but i think this is one instance where you should definitely wait. there are always conditions, though, and the one major factor i can think of is that you don't like the new form of the iPhone, which many are predicting to be the form of the 6G iPod. if you like the click-wheel, go for it.

net26
Jan 20, 2007, 12:37 PM
Yes it is definitely worth it, i highly doubt that a new iPod will be released for at least 2 more months.

i actually believe that the 6G ipod WILL NOT be released before the iPhone goes to market worldwide, since it will probably sport the same multitouch interface the iPhone has/will have. this being one of the main innovations of the iPhone, an iPod with the same interface might steal the iPhones marketing thunder - a step that in my opinion a newcomer on the cellphone market really can't afford to make...

all I can say is buy it and enjoy it. even if a new model comes out soon, it's not like your "old" iPod will suddenly stop playing music.

n

rockthecasbah
Jan 20, 2007, 01:09 PM
i actually believe that the 6G ipod WILL NOT be released before the iPhone goes to market worldwide, since it will probably sport the same multitouch interface the iPhone has/will have. this being one of the main innovations of the iPhone, an iPod with the same interface might steal the iPhones marketing thunder - a step that in my opinion a newcomer on the cellphone market really can't afford to make...

all I can say is buy it and enjoy it. even if a new model comes out soon, it's not like your "old" iPod will suddenly stop playing music.

n
Me too, but i think that they st ill may release a 5th gen update that could keep the same 5th gen form factor, while the "true video" 6g iPod may be a separate and higher end model. It could be that they refresh the 5th gens a bit so they aren't quite so outdated (the iPhone doesn't come out for another 6 months!) which is why i said 2 months...

thumper
Jan 21, 2007, 02:01 PM
im going thru the same thing... it seems that when ever i buy an
apple product a new, cheaper better one comes out one month later.

The only thing im on the fence about is the battery life...
im hearing the the 30 gig only last 2 hours when watching video...
which is pretty lame..

:confused:

Jack1991
Jan 21, 2007, 02:12 PM
I'm in the same exact situation. Especially considering by current ipod actually broke this morning in the washing machine (a traumatic experience). I'm torn too, and I'm not really much the patient type either...

Jack1991
Jan 21, 2007, 02:14 PM
figure i'll wait till the superbowl and see if any 5th gen ipod updates come with those illegid ads. if nothing then then i'll just buy it.

Shotgun OS
Jan 21, 2007, 02:52 PM
The only thing im on the fence about is the battery life...
im hearing the the 30 gig only last 2 hours when watching video...
which is pretty lame..

:confused:

If it makes you feel any better, my iPod's video lasts for about 5 hours in a day if I watch only videos. :)

zap2
Jan 21, 2007, 03:00 PM
The 5G iPod is good, still the best media player out todate...the 5.5G is even better as it has a brighter screen, and the 30Gb is SO slim!

The question is, do you plan to watching tons of vidoes? Or is Music the main reason for you having an iPod.

If your going to be watching vidoes alot, the might be worth waiting, as this 5G doesn't have great battery life for video, for music the 80 gets 20hrs which I tink rocks.(2hrs is about right for a 30Gb I think, at least it was when it first came out, but with the 5.5G I think it got updated(also I here a software update help the old 5G model to get better battery life or atleast I recall reading that..the 80 gets around 5 I think)

If your going to be listen to lots of music, the 5G is perfect. Less screen to scatch, andfor music the plenty big.

MSM Hobbes
Jan 21, 2007, 05:07 PM
Get a refurb 30 gig, enjoy it, and if they come out with something better, put it on eBay for $150 and cut your losses.

That is what I bought this afternoon - refurb black 30GB. :cool:
Mainly for the oldest childs b'day, but I plan on 'borrowing' it too... :D