PDA

View Full Version : eBook anyone?


iBookman
May 16, 2003, 11:20 PM
I've been thinking for a while and i was wondering could Apple come out with an ebook (education notebook). Even though the iBook is what education has been using and is the affordable laptop. What if apple would raise the price of the iBook a little just like they did with the New iMac and come out with an ebook which would then become the affordable laptop for education just like the eMac is now the affordable desktop.

This is how I would see Apple's computer line:

~PRO~
*PowerMac:$1499.00-$3799.00
*PowerBook:$1799.00-$3299.00

~CONSUMER~
*iMac:$1299.00-$2348.00
iBook:$1499.00-(approx.)$2,278.00

~EDUCATION/CONSUMER~
*eMac:$799.00-$1698.00
eBook:$999.00-(approx.)$1778.00

*Prices I got from:
The Apple Store (http://store.apple.com)

What do you think?

dhdave
May 17, 2003, 12:10 AM
My only question is, how would you differentiate it from the iBook? Would you give the new iBook some seriously needed upgrades to keep folks from just buying the eBook?

--dh

iBookman
May 17, 2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by dhdave
My only question is, how would you differentiate it from the iBook? Would you give the new iBook some seriously needed upgrades to keep folks from just buying the eBook?

--dh

I think Apple would modifiy the iBook and call it an eBook. Just like what they did with the iMac. Then I think they would create a whole new revolutionary notebook to be the iBook. Just like what they did with the iMac.

Sun Baked
May 17, 2003, 12:17 AM
What is it with people double posting topics lately? :rolleyes:

iBookman
May 17, 2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
What is it with people double posting topics lately? :rolleyes:

Sorry I did this one first and then went to change the title of it because i didn't like it but it wouldn't let me so I tried to delet it but it wouldn't let me so then I just wrote a new thread with a better title.

I didn't like this title because I was afraid people would confuse it with those books that you can download off the web that are called eBooks.

dhdave
May 17, 2003, 12:28 AM
Gotcha. Sounds plausible to me.

--dh

Sun Baked
May 17, 2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by iBookman
I didn't like this title because I was afraid people would confuse it with those books that you can download off the web that are called eBooks. If you have to explain it here, definitely sounds like there's a problem with the name of your education portable -- not the topic title.

leghorn
May 17, 2003, 01:21 AM
Probably edBook?
And probably not until the 970 ports to PB, G4 to iBook. By then it might be taking the 1+GHz G3.

But I don't think it is as far off as some. The end of the year maybe?????
Being the year of the portable and all.

We'll see.:D :D ;)

MacFan25
May 17, 2003, 08:20 AM
The only way that I could see it is if the PowerBooks get a faster processor, the iBooks, and the iBooks get fast G4s. Otherwise, I don't know if people would buy them or not.

tazo
May 17, 2003, 12:03 PM
edbook is pretty gheigh sounding no? :o

OutThere
May 17, 2003, 01:00 PM
we had some laptops at my old school, the teachers could get the cart in the classroom and there was a wireless network for them...I much would have preferred macs:rolleyes: to the pcs. But why not just promote ibooks with "added software" to schools instead of having to build a whole new line of computers?

iBookman
May 17, 2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by OutThere761
we had some laptops at my old school, the teachers could get the cart in the classroom and there was a wireless network for them...I much would have preferred macs:rolleyes: to the pcs. But why not just promote ibooks with "added software" to schools instead of having to build a whole new line of computers?

Well Apple could of promoted the iMac but instead they made a brand new iMac at a higher price and made the eMac line. Just like what I think they would do with the iBook and eBook.

Sun Baked
May 17, 2003, 03:00 PM
>ibookman

Look at the Apple eMate (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/messagepad/stats/emate_300.html) to find a machine that was smaller than an iBook and bigger than a Newton and designed for the education crowd.

[edit - must add -- not talking dimensions here, for the extremely picky ;) :p ]

iBookman
May 17, 2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
>ibookman

Look at the Apple eMate (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/messagepad/stats/emate_300.html) to find a machine that was smaller than an iBook and bigger than a Newton and designed for the education crowd.

[edit - must add -- not talking dimensions here, for the extremely picky ;) :p ]

Who said the couldn't relaunch a product like that. It just seems like after the Macintosh came the Macintosh Portable, after PowerBook came the PowerMac, after the iMac came the iBook, and after the eMac comes the ?

There was a 5 year difference between when the Macintosh came out and when the Macintosh portable came out. There was a 3 year difference between the PowerBook came out and when the PowerMac came out. And there was a little less then a year between when the iMac came out and the iBook came out.

So I think that eventually they are going to come out with a laptop related to the eMac just like they did with all the others.

tazo
May 17, 2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by iBookman
Who said the couldn't relaunch a product like that. It just seems like after the Macintosh came the Macintosh Portable, after PowerBook came the PowerMac, after the iMac came the iBook, and after the eMac comes the ?

There was a 5 year difference between when the Macintosh came out and when the Macintosh portable came out. There was a 3 year difference between the PowerBook came out and when the PowerMac came out. And there was a little less then a year between when the iMac came out and the iBook came out.

So I think that eventually they are going to come out with a laptop related to the eMac just like they did with all the others.

well if you do recall the emac was supposed to be educational only, and now look. I don't see the purpose of "another" educational only computer.

leghorn
May 18, 2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by tazo
edbook is pretty gheigh sounding no? :o

Admittedly Yeishh.

I think the whatEverBook is contingent on G3 development in relation to the 970's. Where the 970's will pull the G4 into iBook land. G3's go somewhere and they are nice mobile chips.


:o :confused:

shadowfax
May 18, 2003, 02:25 AM
doesn't apple just push its iBooks in education? i mean, the original iMac was perfect for education. the new one sucks for education. kids can break it way to easy. "ergo," the eMac. the iBook, by comparison, suffers from no such faults, and is perfect for supervised children. it's also just $999.00, not the 1400$ mentioned. i'm sure that apple bundles it with edu software for schools like in Massachusetts that we read about awhile ago that bought a ton of them.

melchior
May 18, 2003, 02:41 AM
i think this is just people wanting their computer to be faster and cheaper. as shadowfax just pointed out there is no gap in the apple education line for the ebook to fill. it's unnecessary.

the ibook was designed to be sturdy, heck, the rainbow version had a handle for the kids to haul around with. apple will continue to design the ibook as the truly sturdy laptop in a market where those two words rarely go together with sincereity.

actually, i remember wathcing a quicktime movie, probably with phill schiller, oh god he's boring! anyway, talking about how it was designed with no protruding parts and one of the benefits of the ports on the just one side was kids could put in their backpacks that way. (hell i do!)

so yeah. no ebook. dumb idea. next you'll want the epowermac. wait. that IS exactly where apple has a whole in it's line. a computer that doesn't have a display attached that isn't massively over-priced! i'll keep dreaming on that one though. :rolleyes:

Sun Baked
May 18, 2003, 10:26 AM
Macintosh Jr. - The Power to Crush the Other Kids (http://www.flamingmailbox.com/maccomedy/movies/powertocrush.html)

melchior
May 18, 2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
Macintosh Jr. - The Power to Crush the Other Kids (http://www.flamingmailbox.com/maccomedy/movies/powertocrush.html)

that was absolutely hilarious! i loved that!!! why aren't they running ad compaigns like that? better than the damn switchers