Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielpoole06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
Hi,
I am interested in buying and eMac and I have seen two that appeal to me, they are the same price. Please tell me which one of the two is better.

Apple eMac G4 1GHz 640MB RAM 80GB Combo Drive Airport Extreme
Apple eMac G4 1GHZ 768MB RAM 80GB Super Drive Warranty

Please help I need to know ASAP...I need to buy an airport anyway if I get the second one but I would like to know what a superdrive does compared to a combo drive and if 118MB RAM makes much difference.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

danielpoole06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
but how much difference can 118MB of RAM make anyway? I dont really understad what RAM does, and i would end up spending a good 100 Australian dollars on an airport card if i got the second one, and burning DVDs isnt really somthing I'd be doing.

thanks,

DAniel

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
but how much difference can 118MB of RAM make anyway? I dont really understad what RAM does, and i would end up spending a good 100 Australian dollars on an airport card if i got the second one, and burning DVDs isnt really somthing I'd be doing.

thanks,

DAniel

RAM is memory, it is where the computer stores everything it is running, like applications. The more memory the more applications you can run simultaneously and the faster things will run. Neither of these machines are going to be particularly fast and running much above the basic browser/email apps. But a 20% increase in RAM can only make things better

danielpoole06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
RAM is memory, it is where the computer stores everything it is running, like applications. The more memory the more applications you can run simultaneously and the faster things will run. Neither of these machines are going to be particularly fast and running much above the basic browser/email apps. But a 20% increase in RAM can only make things better
]

yeah, but is 118MB RAM worth 100 australian dollars??? so like around 78 USD

danielpoole06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
do you know how much extra RAM is for eMacs? because i could always add on another 512 MBs or so.

danielpoole06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
A quick look at US prices seems a 512MB stick for an emac would be about $65 USD

so basically, i dont really need a superdrive, so i could get the combo drive and upgrade my RAM on it by 512MB for 65USD, instead of spending an extra 100USD for an airport card where the only difference will be it has a super drive which i wont use and a lot less RAM.

right?

shikimo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2007
Lyon, France
I'm with swiftaw...If I were you, I'd take the superdrive w/warranty (especially if its Applecare, which can be priceless)...it sounds like in either case you need to make a small after-purchase upgrade (either some extra RAM--in my experience 512 isn't enough for basic system operation and 768 is--or a wireless card). And don't underestimate the usefulness of a DVD burner. For example, do you--or more importantly, will you--have music or video or large documents or anything else that you want to back up? You can use that burner to make data DVDs that hold over 4.5 gigs of information, as opposed to 700 megs on a regular CD. A basic, no-frills mac user can back up almost all his/her data on a handful of DVDs...they serve like a poor man's external hard drive. I've carried my music collection around the world this way, and also avoided devastating information loss when my laptop was stolen.

But the good news is that either way you're buying a solid machine: I had a 1Gz eMac for 3 years running with 1G RAM and it did everything I asked of it and never let me down. I only sold it cuz it was too heavy to move overseas...22 kilos, I believe :eek: .

shikimo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2007
Lyon, France
awww, c'mon...I really mean it when I say that you can't lose:). You're getting a great machine either way, at presumably a great price. With enough RAM it will run the exact same system that brand new macs run, including all the basic apps, so why worry?

Just out of curiosity, where would you be purchasing your new mac from? That might make a slight difference...

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I also would get the Superdrive Version - with the warranty. We have the 1.25 version, and 1gb of RAM.

The warranty if Apple Care, will give you peace of mind for the rest of the time (although ours expires in December - so i would guess you wouldn't have a year left).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.