Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
My girlfriend is in the market for a new computer. She would love a Mac, but also needs to have a Windows environment to run her translation software (Trados) for work. Now, with the Intel processors and Boot Camp, it seems like she would be able to get a nice iMac, use OSX for everything fun, and boot in XP to work.

Now we want to make sure it's really a feasible solution...

1) How stable/reliable is XP booted through Boot Camp really? Is it more likely to crash and/or be buggy than on a regular PC system? Is it easy to get the wifi internet connection working (important!)?

2) On her current laptop (Gateway), she has Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2. I checked on the Windows cd (that came with the computer), and it says Windows XP Home Edition, Version 1.2, for reinstallation on the Gateway computer.
Can she install and use this Windows version on the new Mac? Does she need to get another license? Would she have to remove XP from the laptop to use it on the Mac?
Also, I don't know if the XP version on the cd is SP2, or if that was an upgrade she downloaded afterwards (computer was bought new in Fall 2003). If it's not, would she be able to install the XP version and then upgrade to SP2 on the Mac?

Thanks for any help!

Retired
May 16, 2006
It is just as stable and easy to set up internet connectivity as on a PC

She has to slipstream SP2 before bootcamp

Unless she is going to use 3D graphics, I strongly reccomend Parallels for simplicity.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I checked on the Windows cd (that came with the computer), and it says Windows XP Home Edition, Version 1.2, for reinstallation on the Gateway computer.
Can she install and use this Windows version on the new Mac? Does she need to get another license?

It's highly unlikely that the EULA of the Gateway license allows for license transfer even if you remove it from the Gateway, and as a recovery disc it might not even be able to install.

Save yourself some headaches and pick up a Windows XP Home OEM CD for $90 or so from Newegg.

I concur with the freak, pick up Parallels too if the main objective is not to run 3D games or CAD.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.