Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbernal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
Hey guys whats up. I programmed with Java & C++ for about 5 years, but in my recent transition from PC to Mac, I decided to take up Cocoa programing. I need to create a program, that uses an online database(so that it can be accessed 24/7 without me having my own computer running) and pulls the info from the database and has it displayed via a window on my program.

Example:

This is some fake data that must be able to be accessed online 24/7:

-----------------------------
| Julia | 270 | Yellow |
| Scott | 130 | Red |
| Raphael | 349 | Green |

This is the fake program displayed via a GUI, as soon as the program opens, the data should be updated via the online database:

====================
|| Candy Sales ||
====================
|| Name || # Sold || Score ||
====================
|| Raphael || 349 || Green ||
|| Scott || 130 || Red ||
|| Julia || 270 || Yellow ||
====================

Any help with ideas, tutorials, sample code, would be much appreciated.

mbernal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
Ahh yes core data apps. I have successfully created an little core data app, however the next step for me is to try to move the xml file online somewhere so that it can be accessed/updated online. Do you know of a way to do this, preferably some sort of free way to do this, as I am freelancing.

mbernal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
One possible solution I was thinking of is saving the XML file on a website (ie geocities, freewebs). Is there any way to allow my program to replace the current XML stored in lib/app support with the XML via the URL? If this is a possibility, what flaws, security issues do you see and what are some possible viable solutions? Also please elaborate on any other solutions for 24/7 online access, tutorials, or documents would be nice :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.