Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
My eMac is stuffed in the head. A brand new one. First startup, it needs a cd to install some appz or something so I insert it, gets through it, has an error that it does nothing about, I register it and it goes to the normal default user environment. But only the mouse works. I reinstall from the cd, it halts 15min before the end (probably because I plugged in a printer cable). I reinstall again, it finishes, goes to a console-type screen, claims installer had an error and I must restart. A check by disk utility on the dvd claims that the HD has no system on it. I reinstall again. It freezes for no reason. I try using the OSX Jaguar cd I bought ages ago. The eMac can't "see" the cd. I stick the dvd in again and am hoping it works this time. grrrrrrr. Well at least I did all the networking jazz so one computer works on it now, just waiting for the eMac...hem...not good.

jermsmingy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
Houston
do you have anything else plugged in?

if so try unplugging everything. It seems kind of weird that it needed the cd on the first startup. What did you have plugged in besides the computer itself, and the keyboard and mouse? If it is freezing during a reinstall then your logic board could be bad. I know cause I had a bad logic board. Not fun and very hard to determine. Anyway, run fsck -y or try zapping the pram. Also you might want to try disc first aid on the jaguar disc. Jaguar should have come with the emac anyway, so use the disc that came with the emac.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
if it needed an installer on the first run, i'll almost bet you the hard drive is damaged. I doubt a software issue is to blame here. Consider taking it back in, see if they'll replace the HD--

pnw

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Umm it didn't need an installer on first run. It said it was copying random files so the free appz perhaps? It wasn't a normal install sequence.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I think I found the culprit. The memory. One of the DIMMS was bad according to a hardware test which I should've done ages ago. So I'm hoping for the best right now. It *should* all go smoothly from here. BTW, the new keyboard is...interesting...It's got 16 Function keys but theres no gaps between the ones over the letters. The esc key is bigger, and theres virtually no room from the edg of the keys to the edge of the keyboard. Also, between the arrows and the little block of keys above them, theres a little raised platform...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.