PDA

View Full Version : powermac g5 with 30inch dell

juliogrullon
Jan 21, 2007, 02:27 AM
hi guys i wanted to know if i could connect the new 30-inch dell screen or the 30 inch apple screen to my powermac G5, my graphic card is the ATI Radeon 9600 XT.

please let me know
if i can use the dell
and the apple screen

livingfortoday
Jan 21, 2007, 02:41 AM
No, it will not be able to support either of these displays at full resolution. You need a dual-link DVI card to do that, and only the newest Macs or a PowerMac G5 have that.

Chundles
Jan 21, 2007, 02:47 AM
No, it will not be able to support either of these displays at full resolution. You need a dual-link DVI card to do that, and only the newest Macs or a PowerMac G5 have that.

He has a PowerMac G5.

What we need to know is if the 9600XT has a dual-link output which, after consulting MacTracker it would appear not to.

The 9600XT came on the two 2004 revisions of the PowerMac G5 and sported one ADC port and one DVI port.

So I'm afraid you're out of luck.

juliogrullon
Jan 21, 2007, 04:04 AM
yea thats what i have so acn you guys tell me the cheapest card i can get to surport those screens

eXan
Jan 21, 2007, 05:05 AM
yea thats what i have so acn you guys tell me the cheapest card i can get to surport those screens

The cheapeast one is Radeon 9600 Mac/PC Edition. It has one dual-link DVI port. This card is a little slower than yours, but I'm sure it wont be noticable + you will have a new huge screen :D

If you want to connect 2 30 inchers, I think you cannot do it, as you have an AGP PowerMac and as far as I know, GeForce 6800 Ulrta DDL is not being sold in shops.

livingfortoday
Jan 21, 2007, 12:02 PM
He has a PowerMac G5.

Ah jeez, you're right. For some reason I read that as "iMac G5". I need to start going to bed earlier...