PDA

View Full Version : Dead 5G

chilipie
Jan 21, 2007, 03:42 AM
I've had a 30 gig 5G iPod for a little over 6 months now, and until yesterday it has been absolutely fine.

Now it won't turn on, mount (on OS X and Windows) or charge. I've tried to connect it via different USB ports, with different iPod connecting cables and in and out of the dock.

Windows recognises it as an iPod, but can't populate the hard drive, so I presume it's something to do with the HD.

I've tried pretty much everything I can think of, but I have a gut feeling it's pretty much finished.

Chundles
Jan 21, 2007, 03:46 AM
I've had a 30 gig 5G iPod for a little over 6 months now, and until yesterday it has been absolutely fine.

Now it won't turn on, mount (on OS X and Windows) or charge. I've tried to connect it via different USB ports, with different iPod connecting cables and in and out of the dock.

Windows recognises it as an iPod, but can't populate the hard drive, so I presume it's something to do with the HD.

I've tried pretty much everything I can think of, but I have a gut feeling it's pretty much finished.

Have you tried resetting it? Trying the "5R's" on Apple's iPod support site?

If none of that works, you've still got your warranty so give Apple a call.

spork183
Jan 21, 2007, 03:47 AM

Don't know if this is the same thing, but had a 30 that ran way down. wouldn't show on the puter, no start, nothing. took about 20 minutes of being connected to the wall charger before it came to life and showed the charging icon. gave it a full charge and it's worked fine since. was ready to take it in.

chilipie
Jan 21, 2007, 05:16 AM
Cheers - I charged for for 15 minutes or so through a Windows laptop (I haven't got a mains adaptor) and it now turns on and works fine, but I still can't get it to mount on my Mac.

Edit: A quick reboot and all is fine again - mounts properly and everything :p Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

pianoman
Jan 21, 2007, 08:53 AM
when the USB-only iPods run out, you have to leave them plugged into a USB port (or wall charger) for about 15-20 minutes before you'll see that it's charging.