PDA

View Full Version : 700mhz G3 ibook value?

DCB1
Jan 21, 2007, 06:12 AM
I am looking at a 700mhz G3 iBook the has 384mb ram, 14in screen and its 10.3.9. Is it worth getting? Can 10.4 run on it?

Thanks for your help

Peace

Jiddick ExRex
Jan 21, 2007, 06:20 AM
It's nigh impossible to give you advice if you give us info on:

1. How much can you get it for?
2. What are you going to use it for?

I really think that OSx 10.4 needs to have 512 or more RAM, so if you have the possibility of upgrading to more than that, go for it.

DCB1
Jan 21, 2007, 06:25 AM
I would be trading a paintball maker for it. I checked around and see that they are selling used from a lot of stores for around $360 or so. My paintball marker is worth around $500.

I would be using it for web surfing and such.

Thanks

Eraserhead
Jan 21, 2007, 06:47 AM
The problem with a G3 is that it won't run Leopard (as it requires a G4 processor). How much are you paying $500 or $350?

Abstract
Jan 21, 2007, 07:32 AM
I would be trading a paintball maker for it. I checked around and see that they are selling used from a lot of stores for around $360 or so. My paintball marker is worth around $500.

Then the answer is no. I thought it was obvious, but why wouldn't you just sell your $500 paintball marker and buy a used iBook?

And besides, $360 for a 700 MHz iBook G3 is insane. It is one of the better G3 iBooks, though. The 600 MHz model had the 16 MB GeForce 4 Go video card, while the 700 MHz and 800 MHz models and up had the 32 MB model. I may remember incorrectly. :o

It's still not worth your $500 paintball marker, though.

Jiddick ExRex
Jan 21, 2007, 07:34 AM
seeing as Leopard is not required for websurfing I don't see a problem with it. Why not sell the paintball maker for 500 and save up the rest for a macbook? That would be the best bang for the buck...

Eraserhead
Jan 21, 2007, 09:12 AM
seeing as Leopard is not required for websurfing I don't see a problem with it.

But if you look currently quite a bit of open source software requires 10.4, with virtually none supporting anything lower than 10.3. One advantage of the Mac is that it is very easy to upgrade the system to a newer version, however this means that old versions of the OS become obsolete, if you go by history 10.4 will probably be obsolete about when 10.6 comes out, which is in a couple of years, if you want to keep the laptop for a while you might hit problems. Compared to the Windows side where Windows 98 is only just becoming obsolete and you have more of a problem.

ktbubster
Jan 22, 2007, 04:00 AM
Definitely not worth it. You can ebay multitudes of g4 ibooks or even a tibook or other powerbook with some case wear and tear for 500. I would just sell your paintball maker and take the money and go ahead and ebay something worth the money instead of making this trade. You don't need it for much, but couple hundred more you coudl even get a refurb macbook.

Sell the maker and buy something better and worth the money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-IBook-G4-14-in-screen-40-gig-minor-wear-and-tear_W0QQitemZ130070224758QQihZ003QQcategoryZ4602QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130070224758

or

http://chambana.craigslist.org/sys/266208480.html

or

http://chambana.craigslist.org/sys/265912935.html

these things dont' cost THAT much to ship... or try it in your area and post a trade "so and so maker for apple laptop"

That's my 2 cents.

dukebound85
Jan 22, 2007, 12:39 PM

I would be using it for web surfing and such.

Thanks

Trade a paintball gun?? are you crazy those things are awesome. But, I have an imac g3 400mhz with 256mb ram and it run 10.4 decently for basic stuff such as word processing, itunes, internet etc

aquajet
Jan 22, 2007, 01:32 PM
But if you look currently quite a bit of open source software requires 10.4, with virtually none supporting anything lower than 10.3. One advantage of the Mac is that it is very easy to upgrade the system to a newer version, however this means that old versions of the OS become obsolete, if you go by history 10.4 will probably be obsolete about when 10.6 comes out, which is in a couple of years, if you want to keep the laptop for a while you might hit problems.

It's a moot point. Fact is, the current crop of available software will likely be usable for many years. I can think of a few posters here who use Jaguar without any problems. Still usable. The problems come when you insist on running the latest software which in this case, likely isn't required.

With that said, it doesn't sound as if this trade is fair. A 700mhz G3 iBook doesn't seem to be as valuable as your paintball gun.

mkrishnan
Jan 22, 2007, 01:51 PM
With that said, it doesn't sound as if this trade is fair. A 700mhz G3 iBook doesn't seem to be as valuable as your paintball gun.

Yeah.... any discussion of why anyone would spend $500 on a ... what the hell does this thing do, exactly? :eek: ;) :D Any such discussion aside, if you're going to trade, you should be looking for a midgrade iBook G4 or perhaps an older Powerbook G4....