PDA

View Full Version : iBook vs MacBook core duo and buying tips

Quboid
Jan 21, 2007, 03:17 PM
I am about to sell my ibook but for the money i'll be recieving i can only afford a Macbook core duo (not core 2 duo). My questions are:

Is it worth it, should i really exchange my iBook for a Core duo macBook?

Can a macbook core duo definitly run windows better because of the processor?

which would you consider better, a refurbished macbook of the apple site a a new one from some other site?

Where do you think i can best find the cheapest macbooks, even the core2 duo's.

Thanks alot,m appreciated.

Killyp
Jan 21, 2007, 03:21 PM
Of course the MacBook Pro will be about 7x faster at pretty much everything (other than PhotoShop)...

The CoreDuos are good, but to be honest with you, the heat mine has started making recently is really putting me off, it's only within the last few weeks too... :(

Scarlet Fever
Jan 21, 2007, 03:22 PM
Is it worth it, should i really exchange my iBook for a Core duo macBook?
definitely!

Can a macbook core duo definitly run windows better because of the processor?
yep, i've done it before, works fine.

which would you consider better, a refurbished macbook of the apple site a a new one from some other site?
The refurbs seem to have a good reputation, so I would go for that.

Where do you think i can best find the cheapest macbooks, even the core2 duo's.
i would think ebay, craigslist or Apple would be the way to go. And I would only buy Apple hardware from Apple, but i'm just like that.

Enjoi your MacBook (if you get one)! :)

Quboid
Jan 21, 2007, 03:30 PM
Well i am about to start moving wanted stuff to my iPod form my harddrive as the buyer is just waiting on a call from me. I still feel pretty bad about it. Cause apple has no refurbiushed macbooks on the site and when they do they finish so very fast.
Its like there people with credit cards at hand waiting/refershing the refurb's page waiting to put in an order.

This may sound strange but is there any way to make an order of the apple website fro out of the us?

(my current route is via a cousin of mine, hence my disadvantage at macBook race on the website )

MSM Hobbes
Jan 21, 2007, 03:33 PM
Keep in mind that no Classic applications/programs will run on the MB.
Hence reason that I will probably acquire an older laptop sometime. ;)

Quboid
Jan 21, 2007, 03:36 PM
Keep in mind that no Classic applications/programs will run on the MB.
Hence reason that I will probably acquire an older laptop sometime. ;)

Do explian...

katad
Jan 21, 2007, 03:49 PM
I upgraded from a G4 powerbook and the CD was the biggest performance boost since the 604e to G3 PBs back in the day.

CD2 is better, but for the $500 savings, CD is fine. I bought my CD black macbook at compUSA for $999. Apple store is fine, too. Try to aviod white macbooks, they tend to discolor. But on the other hand, white CD MB can be found for around $800 on clearance. good luck!

2tallyAwesome
Jan 21, 2007, 04:09 PM
I would wait till you can afford a C2D. Only because it's newer revision that has seemed to have most of the early problems solved.

Either way you will see a HUGE difference in performance. I went from a 1Ghz ibook to a 1.83 C2D Macbook and the difference in performance is staggering. Everything is faster, brighter, and crisper.

Good Luck!

Zman5225
Jan 21, 2007, 09:44 PM
I have the last revision of iBook that was released and a friend of mine purchased the 1.83 CD macbook when it was released. He brought it over to my house so I could show him some stuff on the mac OS and how to operate some fun stuff. Needless to say I was HIGHLY impressed on how much better his system was. The screen alone made me want to cry let alone the speed of his machine, keyboard, trackpad, magnetic lid, magnet power adapter and the list goes on....The ONLY thing I didnt like, and still don't like about macbooks are the speakers. Yes I know it's a laptop and I shouldn't expect the world of speakers, but my iBook speakers are at least audible in a plane or in loud situations.

Ok i'm rambling now :)

GET THE MACBOOK!

whosgotsoul
Jan 22, 2007, 12:19 AM
I would get a refurb Core2Duo Macbook...if you can't afford it now, save a few more months and get it then.

I can't save enough good things about my Macbook...definitely worth the upgrade!

Quboid
Jan 23, 2007, 12:25 PM
Is there anyway to order a macbook from the US, from another country via teh mac store.
I am very, very desperate.