Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2426

They seem to be moving from cold cathode fluorescent backlights (CCFLs) towards LED backlights.

"While pricer than CCFLs, LED technology is more efficient at distributing lighting evenly across the entire display surface and offers an increase in color saturation. According to a white paper from Cree, a backlight solutions provider expected to provide its LED technology to Apple, LED-based backlights also consume less power, run cooler, and last longer than CCFLs."

Sounds good to me. Just sold my Macbook so I even might wait for 2nd quarter of this year before buying a new one.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Same I'm waiting till there is somthin new on the line. This is going to look good with that glossy screen they have.

I wonder if it'll be compatible with the current generation? Would be great to throw my 17" display out and replace it with an LED display...

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
LED-lit Displays in Upcoming 15'' MacBook Pros?

Appleinsider provides confirmation for a rumor that first appeared on Digitimes (Page 2) earlier this month. According to Appleinsider, the newest MacBook Pros will transition away from "cold cathode fluorescent backlights (CCFLs) and towards LED backlights."

The rumor site targets the 15" MacBook Pro as the likely recipient of the LED screen in the "second quarter" of this year, but it is unclear when the 17" Pros and 13" MacBooks will also beneift from the upgrades.

LED-lit displays offer some notable improvements over the traditional CCFLs backlit displays, including:

- improved battery life (uses less power)
- maintain brightness longer over current screens
- more vivid colors

gogoman

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2003
When are we gonna start seeing OLED displays in our laptops. I hope Apple is secretly working out the fading blues problem in this technology and is first to integrate into laptops. Uses MUCH less power, creates its OWN light and super pixel density.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I think another benefit would be more even backlighting, no? Less dark dim blotches? If you use multiple LEDs and space them out evenly anyway, I'm not sure how it's done.

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
too slow

i was almost sure that i might somehow post first here... damn. well, as it is a new tech (for notebooks in mass prod) we are not sure how well it will work, but if it is good, we will all want it. i cannot get much more excited!

kenzbud

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Improved battery life.... Does anybody have an idea how much? 25% 50%????
Is there any notebooks that currently use this technology already???

GeorgeTheMonkey

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2004
Wicked cool.

And scheduled to possibly come out just when I might possibly, crossing-my-fingers maybe will have enough money to upgrade from my aging 17" PowerBook.

But dang, Apple's gotta stop coming out with things for me to spend money on. An iPhone, a potential tablet/mini-Macbook, an Apple TV, and now even more incentive to get a new Macbook Pro. My wallet is feeling lonely already!

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
I would like to think that they will push the envelope a bit further and introduce new features like inbuilt GPS etc with the next rev.

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
Improved battery life.... Does anybody have an idea how much? 25% 50%????
Is there any notebooks that currently use this technology already???
I would be shocked if it was more than 10%. Id feel vindicated for 5%. Well I mean. If you had robson hybrid hd/ram technology. With these screens. Plus a bit more efficient CPUs. You could potentially get 15-25%. Which if you think about it. On a 4 hours battery life is almost an extra hour. Pretty good. Nothing AMAZING. But good evolution.

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
I would like to think that they will push the envelope a bit further and introduce new features like inbuilt GPS etc with the next rev.

Robson
GPS
LED
A video camera instead of just an isight (only really useful if you can swifel it around to take videos of lecture, altough just a swiveling isight would be nice to snap pics of complex notes.)
More than 5 hours battery life.

That would make me say WHOAH Apple. You didnt forget about your computers. Anything else would just be one more thing...

wozzlewoozle

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2005
sarkoland
I would be shocked if it was more than 10%. Id feel vindicated for 5%. Well I mean. If you had robson hybrid hd/ram technology. With these screens. Plus a bit more efficient CPUs. You could potentially get 15-25%. Which if you think about it. On a 4 hours battery life is almost an extra hour. Pretty good. Nothing AMAZING. But good evolution.

I agree. Although I won't complain about a little extra battery life, a little is all I expect this to give.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Robson
GPS
LED
A video camera instead of just an isight (only really useful if you can swifel it around to take videos of lecture, altough just a swiveling isight would be nice to snap pics of complex notes.)
More than 5 hours battery life.

That would make me say WHOAH Apple. You didnt forget about your computers. Anything else would just be one more thing...

As long as you can't even get two mouse buttons on a laptop, you'll never get an isight that can swivle/

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I don't know of any laptops that have this technology yet, but I think I heard HP, CES, laptop, led mentioned.
Samsung has a desktop panel out and NEC released the first one about 2 years ago that retailed for $6,500.

Hopefully prices have come down.:(

maxp1

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2005
Well I'm looking to pass my aging, but still very functional, G4 powerbook down to my girlfriend soon (who's using my old TIbook). It would be fantastic if the new MBP came out with whatever the next processor upgrade is, the next OS upgrade and non-draft-n wifi.
Of course I want it NOW!! I hate playing the waiting game. :) Then again, I've had good luck waiting and managed to catch 2nd generations of significant upgrades (the ones with the bugs worked out) that have lasted a long time. This time I decided not to go for the 2nd generation Intel Macs figuring it would take a bit longer to get everything straight. I chomping at the bit though.

Anyone have a feature wish list for the MBP that's longer than mine?

Glassman

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
Sony use LED backlight in some of their ultraportables..

LED backlight, great, I'll take it - but for god's sake make it high resolution when you're at it (and with resolution independence behind the doors)..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.